What's new

What to buy - Onkyo 606 vs. Pioneer 1018 vs Denon 1908/09 vs ??? (1 Viewer)

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for a new receiver and am interested in the Onkyo 606, Pioneer 1018 and the Denon 1908/09. I'm running JBL Northridge speakers (E50 mains) and have a Toshiba HD-A3.

I've perused features of the 3 and all seem to have everything I need in terms of connectivity options. I intend to run HDMI out from the Toshiba in to the receiver, and then out to my plasma TV. Am I correct in assuming that this will give me full use of the new audio formats and not degrade the video by passing the signal through the receiver?

I prefer a "warm" sound overall, which model/brand tends to fit the bill?

How big a concern is heat with the Onkyo? I saw the 606 and checked for temperature, and it was pretty hot (not warm) to the touch, though in its defense it had probably been on all day (I was in the store after 6PM). My audio rack is an open design so there's plenty of ventilation, and I'm replacing an NAD, which also ran a bit hot. But I wouldn't run it for movies for more than 2-3 hours at a time anyway. I listen to music for longer than that, but in 2 channel.

I didn't do any critical listening, but did have a chance to hear it with 2 ch. music, through JBL speakers, and initial impressions were not bad. I'm hoping to audition at least these 3 before I choose anything.

I spoke briefly with the salesman and he placed Onkyo and Yamaha at the top of the list in quality at this price range. He also said that Pioneer was not at the same level, and that Denon was close, but at a higher price point. Any recommendations on these models? Are there others I should consider? My T762 died after 5 years, and for what I paid, I expected it to last at least double that. So I'm looking to spend quite a bit less this time around.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, with all the responses I hope I don't crash the thread with a follow-up question, which is:

I've been reading about humming and some other out-of-the-box issues with the Onkyo. Should I be worried? Are any of these deal breakers?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't heard about the humming thing but buy from an authorized dealer with a good return policy and "hear" for yourself. A recent magazine article loved the 606, but they love everything. I very happy with my 59txi so I would lean towards the 1018. But the 606 looks tough to beat for the price.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually very interested in the 1018, probably more so than the Onkyo.

I know the latter is a great value, but reading posts on other forums (and this one) from owners, the 606 seems to have more problems than it should. Funnily enough, when I was last shopping for an AVR 5 years ago, Onkyo was having pretty much the same issues I'm reading about now. Still, the reviews of the 606 (I think I know the one you're talking about), are glowing. Although, I'm always a little suspect about pro reviews. I prefer reading and listening to actual owners who live with this equipment every day.

I've seen mostly good things about the 1018 so far. As a past (CD player in the early 90s, which actually still works) and current (Elite plasma) Pioneer owner, I'm kind of hoping I'll like it enough to pull the trigger, but will reserve judgement till I have a chance to see/hear it. I think it does pretty much everything the 606 can do, and I'm willing to pay a little extra for the peace of mind and comfort level with the brand.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I was on the fence between getting the Pio 1018 & Denon 1909, but decided on the Denon because of the Dynamic Volume feature. I have had a Pio Elite for several years and loved it, but it is time to upgrade. Also J&R has a really sweet pre-order deal on the 1909 (by phone - it isn't listed on their website yet).

campark43

Grip
Real Name
Campbell Park
Get the Yamaha. Out of the mid-fi class you can't go wrong with the Yamaha's. It won't sound like your old NAD, I'm a huge fan of NAD sound. I'm also a huge fan of Yamaha sound quality as well.

Pioneer receiver's are garbage (although I have never sat down and really listened to an elite receiver), Denon's overpriced, Onkyo is actually pretty good but a step down from yamaha.

ChameleonAudio.ca

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I had an order for the Onkyo 606 which I canceled after the reports of the hum, and Onkyo's inability to fix the hum, and, worst of all, the news that the hum was related somehow to the Audyssey features. Beyond the HDMI inputs, the Audyssey features -- particularly the Audyssey Dynamic Volume* -- were what had sold me on the Onkyo 606. So I was sad to have to let it go, but a hum is a hum. Unacceptable.

I then considered the Yamaha RX-V663BL. It has only 2 HDMI inputs -- not enough -- which undercuts an otherwise strong feature set. Sells for $500 but you can get it for $400 if you try. So it is in the same price range as the Onkyo. But it doesn't have the Audyssey features. That, and the 2 HDMI, nixed that one.

Ultimately, I decided I would indeed have to up my expense a bit to the Denon AVR-1909. It has the Audyssey Dynamic Volume, which I believe is the most significant advancement in so-called "midnight mode" in years. If you, like me, find that "midnight mode" on most receivers produces too "flat" a sound, then there is no substitute -- you have to try the Audyssey. Which means the Denon 1909. $600. Lowest price I've seen was $500, but that price ended, well, a few hours ago actually (the preorder sale price Wayne mentioned -- it ended on 7/31). Sorry. It might approach $500 again during the holidays, but it will be $600 mostly at places like JR.

Don't even consider the Denon 1908, I read both of the manuals (took some searching!) to contrast them and they are vastly different. Only the new models that end in "9" are the ones with the Audyssey. And don't bother looking at the more affordable Denon 1709, it has Audyssey but its HDMI inputs are not full fledged HDMI inputs -- the 1709 ignores the audio portion of HDMI signals. I couldn't believe that when I read it in the manual, but it is true, and I confirmed this with the folks on the AVSForum.

The Denon AVR-1909 is the lowest price Denon that actually does everything a modern receiver needs to do.

One caveat: Because the Denon AVR-1909 has not quite been released yet (it is a couple weeks away) no one actually knows if the Denon will be the perfection that the Onkyo, sadly, was not.

But that's where I put my stakes.

(I also downloaded the manual for the Panasonic 1018, but by that point I was set on finding a receiver with Audyssey inside it, so I perhaps did not read about the Panasonic as much as I could have).

* The Audyssey Dynamic Volume (and the related EQ) is important to me because I am one of those folks who has to turn down their movie when explosions are going off and turn it up when scenes are quiet, and who by the same token finds most old fashioned "midnight" modes to result in such a flat, dull sound that I can't enjoy what I am hearing. Beyond movies, I also listen to music at night and I must have some consideration for my housemates -- but I want a rich, full sound even at quiet volumes. The Ayudyssey's adaptive equalization governed by volume is exactly what I need. I just hope it works as well as its website touts it as.

Mike Hartman

Auditioning
I have recently purchased the Onkyo 606 but do not have it in my hands yet.

I made the purchase based on the 4 HDMI inputs and HD audio format decoding.. Now I got to thinking about my 53" Hitachi with no HDMI inputs.

Does anyone know if I will be able to run HDMI from my HD-DVD player to the 606 to get the TrueHD sound but output component video to the monitor?

Once I have it in hand, I can better evaluate the performance and features..

- Mike

JohnW

Stunt Coordinator
I believe you'd be able to do that except that you'll also need to hook up your DVD player to your receiver using component cable. You can't really "down-convert" from HDMI to component.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
J&R still has the Denon 1909 at the great pre-order price of $499 shipped.(someone just called and got it.) If you are thinking about the 1909 I'd call soon. I ordered mine on the 29th and it shipped today.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'd rather hear the Denon than buy sight-unseen, though that price is tempting

Anyone have experience with the Elite 91TXH? I've seen it for a killer price.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I did it -- pulled the trigger and picked up the Pioneer Elite VSX 91-TXH.

Can't wait to get it set up and start enjoying music and movies all over again!

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
I recently bought an Onkyo 800 series rated at 130 x 7. Compared with my old Denon 3300 rated at 100 x 5, it is not rated very conservatively; I'd pick the Denon.

Both the Onkyo and Denon setup procedure is a nightmare!

I have installed the Onyko in a glass TV table and it throws massive heat. I put some external thin fans on top to vent it well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks