What's new

Onkyo base poor output (1 Viewer)

Darren Hug

Auditioning
I own Onky 1000w package HTS 770 with powered subwoofer. System works great except when comes to really low and hard bass output from subwoofer. It sounds like someone hitting a big cardboard box really hard instead of nice low base sound. Do I need to replace the sub or what. Any suggestions or recommendations.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's only an 8" sub, and a pretty basic one at that, so you can't really have any big expectations for it. The good and bad news is, it's easily replaced. I recently installed a 780 for a customer and the sub did seem to be the weak point. I would highly recommend you look at the 10" or 12" Dayton subs at www.partsexpress.com The 12" was on sale for $138 and the 10" for just $99 recently, not sure if it still is or if the are still in stock (they sell out when the put these guys on sale). Should give you much better bass.

PN#300-632 and 300-634

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the crappy subwoofer. The single greatest invention ever for Loudspeaker manufacturers..... You'll buy a good sub, then realise your main speakers are the weak point, buy new loudspeakers, get a new AVR, get a better sub, yadda yadda yadda, next thing you know, you're installing PSB Platinums, have a Veldoyne 1812 on order and are driving all over the state comparing Parasound & Anthem pre-amps.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sell the sub and buy one of the Dayton $138 12"'rs...

You will probably nearly break even. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks