Onkyo base poor output

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Darren Hug, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Darren Hug

Darren Hug Auditioning

I own Onky 1000w package HTS 770 with powered subwoofer. System works great except when comes to really low and hard bass output from subwoofer. It sounds like someone hitting a big cardboard box really hard instead of nice low base sound. Do I need to replace the sub or what. Any suggestions or recommendations.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It's only an 8" sub, and a pretty basic one at that, so you can't really have any big expectations for it. The good and bad news is, it's easily replaced. I recently installed a 780 for a customer and the sub did seem to be the weak point. I would highly recommend you look at the 10" or 12" Dayton subs at www.partsexpress.com The 12" was on sale for $138 and the 10" for just $99 recently, not sure if it still is or if the are still in stock (they sell out when the put these guys on sale). Should give you much better bass.

PN#300-632 and 300-634

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Ah, the crappy subwoofer. The single greatest invention ever for Loudspeaker manufacturers..... You'll buy a good sub, then realise your main speakers are the weak point, buy new loudspeakers, get a new AVR, get a better sub, yadda yadda yadda, next thing you know, you're installing PSB Platinums, have a Veldoyne 1812 on order and are driving all over the state comparing Parasound & Anthem pre-amps.

4. John S

John S Producer

Sell the sub and buy one of the Dayton $138 12"'rs...

You will probably nearly break even. [​IMG]

5. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator