Yamaha RX-V730-New Proud owner!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dean-P, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Well thanks for all the reviews/opinions that I read about for all the recievers that I was interested in.
    I'm from Canada (as you can see from the sidebar)and I knew that I was going to make a trip to Phoenix this January, so I started researching for a new reciever as they are so much cheaper down there.
    Based on reviews/opinions and $$ I had, I narrowed it done to:
    Pioneer 912k
    Denon 1604
    Yamaha 540
    Onkyo sr501

I found a dealer that carried three of the four: Ultimate Electronics-they have good sound rooms and carry high end gear.
    So I was able to a/b the Pio,Den,and the Yammy but I had to go CC to hear the Onkyo which in the end lost out basically due to poor listening area...
    Anyways, the salesman said that the Pio was like a fireman trying to put out a fire with a garden hose and that the Yammy and Denon had the real firehose.[​IMG]
    Well okay I thought and because there weren't too many opinions on the forum about the Pio, I decided to just hear the Yammy/Denon.
    I initially started with a Denon 1604 and the Yamaha 540 because they were both $400 but ended up listening to the Denon 1603 and the Yamaha RX-V730 as they were priced right at $320/$350 respectively.
    They were both great sounding recievers but I liked the clearness(bright?) of the Yamaha and also all of the inputs/outputs & the extra 6th channel![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I listened to them on Klipsch and Infinity speakers...
    So now it is here at home and I love it![​IMG]
    My wife said that "thats enough now", I guess I will have to wait until next year to get a rear center speaker!

BTW The RX-V730 replaced a JVC 6020 and I have it hooked up to Sound Dynamics and Athena speakers with a 54L sealed Shiva. DVD is a JVC XV-S60...

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well congrats. I am debating between the yamaha 1400/2400/3300 and the harman kardon 330/430.

3. Derek H

Derek H Agent

How do you find the yamaha and your athenas combo vs the Klipsch in the store??

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I had auditioned an RX-v3300 on some klipse reference speakers...and my god...it was awefull! The horns on the speakers did not mix well with the Yamaha! Bass/treble set to flat (as usual)... And this was in a very good high end sound room...Niether music or movies sounded right too me with that combo... both are great units...but not together IMO[​IMG]

5. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I found the Klipsch to be bright but my Sound Dynamics 100s are about the same tone, a little less bright though. I guess my Shiva offsets the treble enough to not notice it too badly.
    As far as the Athenas, they sound very good and when I have it on 6 speaker stereo, they are definitely not bright but more warm sounding comparing them to the SD 100s. I just rebuilt the SD 100s, so if I'm going to replace them with Athenas F2s, it will have to wait for the waf to get a little better. [​IMG]
    I don't know which kind of klipsch they were but about 4 ft tall.???