What's new

“One more thing” event official for November 10 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1604337213530.png

Bring on Apple Silicon!

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wish I was more excited. Most likely a 13-14" ARM Macbook Pro but no 16-inch ARM Macbook Pro

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well certainly, but my point was that I am personally more interested in Big Sur than ARM-based MacBooks.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's not what the latest rumors say, but YMMV....

I have been watching multiple YouTube prediction videos from the top vloggers who, as of yesterday, are saying a 16" MBP ARM is in the cards.

The only thing that disputes that is a leaked software page that talks about the new 16"MBP and its ties to Bootcamp which we are led to believe is an impossible inclusion in an ARM device.

So, I remain hopeful for a 16" ARM MBP announcement next week but still skeptical it will happen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A good time to ask, Sam...

What needs to be announced for you to upgrade your current 16" MBP? Will you sell it and upgrade?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Unlikely. It'd have to beat an Nvidia 2070 tier graphics chip for me to consider it. Did you sell yours off? How much did you get?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Unlikely. It'd have to beat an Nvidia 2070 tier graphics chip for me to consider it. Did you sell yours off? How much did you get?

I sold off my 2019 13" MBP in anticipation of the 13" ARM. So that was a safe bet.

The 16" is all I have. I will put a bid in to sell it the day before the Apple event in anticipation of a 16" ARM announcement.

I would assume you will be in this thread when it is announced so don't be surprised if I ask you if it will be a substantial benefit to upgrade. The one big thing I am looking forward to is running with less heat. My lap burns with this 16" on it and I often have to use a laptop cooler beneath it.

In all, I could walk away from this event buying a 13" ARM for travel and a 16" ARM for my desktop.

I will let you know the value of my laptop in a few minutes. Be back...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is from SELL YOUR MAC who doesn't always give the best price but is the best to deal with in my experience...

2020-11-03_13-06-40.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, if they ship with Micro-LED or OLED displays that would change my mind too. Super unlikely.

Yeah, that's a huge biggie!

I dunno. They have been talking micro-LED displays for a long time so it COULD happen.

You are right. Those are worth waiting for. However, it becomes a tough choice when you are working against getting the best value for a prior generation laptop purchase.

Let's see what next week brings. This is going to be the most exciting Apple event of the year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I, and I mean this genuinely, love you man =)

You know, Sam...

I got nothing else. No family to support. No drug addiction. I am in the midst of a pandemic so I can't even go out and meet people.

But what do I have? My technology. And as long as I can afford to upgrade it by getting a reasonable price for my older gear (the same way the Apple iPhone upgrade works), why not go with it?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What day do you need to ship by? And is there a penalty for cancelling?

I think they give you 30 days to ship it. Best to get a price before the Apple event to lock in the best price.

No penalty if you cancel. You aren't giving them your credit card information or anything like that.

Oh....now I got you thinking....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And as long as I can afford to upgrade it by getting a reasonable price for my older gear (the same way the Apple iPhone upgrade works), why not go with it?

No no no you misunderstand. In my group I am the toys r us kid. I'm the one spending my dough to have the latest and greatest. Usually with phones and game consoles and PC graphics cards. But you, my friend, always have me beat in this arena and I love to see it =) It's genuine.

And I just locked in $1685 for mine too. =) I may sell it even if they don't really beat my expectations. Cause they will eventually and this is less hassle than selling local. It's 60% of what I paid 355 days ago. That's not bad for a guaranteed no headache payday. I'm sure I could get $2k on the street but that $300 might break me dealing with randos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks