What's new

??? on recording to a cd recorder (1 Viewer)

Art Harris

Auditioning
I am considering getting a CD recorder. I want to record music selections from my CD player, my Laser disc player, my VHS deck and my DVD player. Are there any copy protection problems with any of these sources? Are these copy problems universal with all CD recorders or are there some recorders that bypass the copy protection?

Some model suggestions would really be helpful.

Art

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Are you talking about a CD recorder on your computer or a stand alone Stereo Component Cd recorder?
I've read that a lot of new music is being encoded to prevent copying. Here in Canada were have a levy put on recording materials (tapes and the like) and now they are encoding CD's. This is very annoying to me. I have over 700 store bought legal Cd's from the record companies and they want to prevent me from making kinda of a greatest hits collection of my own music for my own listening.
In addition I've heard that the encoding technique is making the CD's play poorly or not at all on some systems.
Check this site for more info on this.
http://www.fatchucks.com/corruptcds/
Hope this helps

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
From what I've read, some of the copy protection schemes are specifically designed to interfere with the operation of taxed, SCMS-compliant, standalone dual deck CD recorders.

Others are aimed "only" at breaking computer use and might not pose a problem for standalone decks.

This suggests that you should not rely upon a dual deck recorder as the only CD/DVD source deck in your system. An analog or S/PDIF copy between separate components may succeed where an internal CD-ROM-style copying operation might fail.

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
My CD recorder will let me make ONE copy from original CDs (even a compilation of "greatest hits" from different CDs), but any copies of the "hits" CD I try to make, the unit switches to "Analog" mode, so the quality is not going to be as good as the original.

RichN

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There are so few of those "anti-pirate" discs out, that I wouldn't personally worry about it.

And I think that those discs would give more trouble to a PC based burner than a standalone burner anyway.

Rich got it right, with a consumer CD burner, you get 1 free copy of a commercial disc. But you are not allowed to make a digital copy of the original digital copy.

But even if you revert to analog (which you could still do even on an "anti-pirate" disc), you won't lose that much fidelity if you have a good burner.

Pro burners do not have the "copy of a copy" restriction. But they cost a little more. (Tascam, HHB, Marantz among others make pro burners.) Plus, you can use "computer" blanks on pro burners that you cannot use with consumer machines. Computer blanks are the same exact quality, but they cost less than "music" blanks.

Art Harris

Auditioning
Very interesting. On my computer CD writer (Yamaha 3200EZ, 24X, Nero 5.5 software), it seems that I get better quality music from the MP3 downloads than I am getting from my CD transfers. The MP3 music seems "fuller". Is this my imagination or has anybody else had this experience.

My original post questioned the possibility of recording to a CD music tracks from Laser disks and from DVDs. I understand that DVDs have copy protection....does that apply to the audio tracks or the video tracks...or both? If protected, will the pro recorders get around that?

Art

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
When in doubt..use analog in! That's my rule-O-thumb. And if you want a dub of your mix CD..use your PC to make the copy.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Since you're talking about consumer component CD recorders, and there isn't one in existence that has a DVD source well, you would be doing your recording from analog inputs or component-style digital inputs.

I have seen complaints on MiniDisc boards of people being unable to digitally copy DVD-Video soundtracks to MiniDisc.

Two possible causes for this:

1. The DVD-Video player's digital output was set to Dolby Digital 5.1, instead of to CD/DAT-quality PCM.

2. The studios might have set the SCMS flags on the DVDs to prohibit even a single generation of digital copying.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This seemed like a good thread for my question.

I have a Tascam CD-RW2000 which I have barely used. Just now I made a disc on it that plays back, but ONLY on the Tascam.

I know CD-RWs don't play back on all units, but I've had them play back before on my LD player and in my car, no dice this time.

The disc was finalized.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks