What's new

Older Mits's had red push correction in User menu (1 Viewer)

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
My first Mit RPTV, from around 6 years ago, was an NTSC-only VS-6017. I just worked on one of the same series the other night and discovered something I wish I'd known when I owned mine, before I traded it for this IBM 600e laptop I am typing this on.

There's a register in User Menu, which has 3 selections: Skin-tone, Average and Accurate.

The first 2 celebrate all Mit stands for, as far as red goes: it read out with a 25% red push on the AVIA color decoder pattern.

Accurate does NOT. It reads out fully linear!

Back when I owned the set, I didn't know this, and quite frankly, skin-tone was what I selected to enjoy my viewing with. It looked richer.

But now that I know that red push is the same thing as blue-green diminish, I tried something out on this other set the other night: stick with Accurate setting, and goose your color intensity level up to where fleshtones are again accurate - since they will wilt when you use Accurate, if you've used the blue filter test to set color level on either of the other 2 settings - and the green and blue now will leap out at your like they should!

In fact, redoing the blue filter test when in Accurate should give you the proper color intensity level, even tho it will be markedly higher than midpoint. My end setting came out at around 3/4 up.

There may also be registers in there to redo user centering of the color and tint, but I was on a shoestring on this one, and decided not to pursue it to that endpoint. But I do recall that even tho my settings were mostly screwdriver pots, including all geo and convg parameters, there was a limited service menu in there on mine, which did cover recentering color and tint user presets. I believe it was Menu 2357, plus 5 or 4 or 6, etc. Audio and Video buttons might have already started playing a role, also - don't remember that far back these days, after having done so many Mits with the new service menus.

This is exciting, and proves that SOMEBODY at Mit had a handle on the red push controversy a looong time ago, and were willing to designate and dedicate a User setting that would defeat the red push.

Whoever they were, I wish they were still around, at Mit...

Mr Bob

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny you mention this now. Two weeks ago, I was re-centering the display of a Mits 40" direct view for some friends (the picture had drifted to the left for some reason). I thought I'd adjust the color, tint etc. using Avia while I was at it. I had just explained the notorious Mitsubishi red push problem to them when I discovered the exact same user settings that you described. Setting it to Accurate and adjusting color and tint using the blue bars made the color decoding almost perfect. Like you, I had to set the color control to about 75%. Now I wish the 27" Mits my wife and I use in the bedroom had this feature:frowning:

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Kewl
With the the newer Mits 03 and 05 models full color decoder adjusments were accessible within the service menus. With the 07 and 09 models you have to reflash the EEPROM. On this years models, the higher ones have given back color decoder adjustments, on the lower units you have to reflash the EEPROM.
GAWD, I love this stuff :D
Gregg

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
Don't know if you want to call the x3 and x5 Mit models "newer". The x3 was their entry HDready model, from 4 years ago. The x5 was the next year, of 3 years ago.

The x3's blacks were not as clean as all further models, but they had the absolute most number of registers to toy with. The x5's had just a few less than the x3's, and the x7's were absolutely castrated of all the exotically valuable registers - like redpush/color decoder and easily governable color isolation registers - requiring I2C Interface intervention, or as Gregg called it, reflashing the EEPROMS. Which is a very invasive op, requiring that all 8000+ EEPROM registers in your TV be wiped clean and erased, and replaced with whatever you have saved to your computer, from them.

I certainly hope they will eventually see the light and restore the color decoder registers into ALL their models, plus the critical color isolation registers in the xx57 menu, so we don't have to keep skipping back and forth between the xx57 and xx59 menus all the time during calibration, just to be able to isolate the color we wish to work on at any particular time.

DIYers, keep in mind that whatever values your User settings are set to when you go into the xx59 convergence menu, those are what will show up and be in play while inside that particular service menu. That is not the case when in xx57, where everything is User defaulted, including being in Torch Mode. In that case, you have to temporarily cut your SCON or SCNT - subcontrast - to where the light level is half of normal during the greyscale op, to replicate what the greyscale will look like when Contrast is midpointed, in User, during viewing. I put it back to factory set levels afterwards, so the viewer will still be able to turn his set to Torch Mode if necessary, like during the daytime with a glarescreen on the set for protection purposes.

Since convergence menu is the only service menu that currently allows for color isolation, if your color and tint are not perfectly centered in User before you go into service mode, they won't be centered in service convergence either, causing great consternation as to why the color decoder ops still won't match everything up properly, time after time, after all your fine - and otherwise fully effective - tweaking during color isolation in convergence menu.

So be sure and midpoint the big 4 User settings - color, tint, brightness and contrast - before going into the xx59 service menu.

Mr Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks