What's new

old ? but please atleast read (1 Viewer)

EricVaga

Auditioning
I have read a few things and I think I?m more confused now then before. Ok here is how I understand the current situation. There are a few formats for HD out there and there seems to be an effort to force s standardization. Does this or will this effect a HD TV (projector), DVD player, audio setup bought at the present time? Is there currently one format that seems to be significantly better? I?m going to search the forum (I?m sure this has bee covered before) but if someone could put a quick link to the forum thread id appreciate it. txs

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Look for a display that can display 1080i and 720p and you are set for Hdef, as well as being able to do 480p for DVD's.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Neil,

After reading your response, I checked the info on my set. It's a Samsung HCL4715W and it does 1080i and 480p. Am I going to be running into future problems with this set? I primarily use it for DVD and normal cable television. Thanks for any input.

Scott

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

I'm not sure what the confusion regarding HDTV formats are: there are in fact standard resolutions contained in DTV and HDTV standard- these are no really under any debate,.

The issue is really the carrier for these resolutions. Just like standard TV has had a resolution standard for decades-- but formats for carrying this video (VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, DVD) all their own standards that had to be adopted an accepted...

The biggest debate is how to offer a prerecorded HD format- such as HD-DVD. Since no real standard is in place for such a formt- this doesn't really affect current DVD purchases (DVD is a format onto itself, and will continue to work fine).

Most HDTV sets offer the ability to sync to the the two big standard for DTV: 480p and 1080i-- it is a bonus if you can find a set that can also sync to 720p - but not the end of the world if not.

Audio systems, for the most part, will be uneffected. Dolby Digital is the chosen audio format for DTV, so modern audio receivers are compatible.

-V

EricVaga

Auditioning
the stuff i read I got the impression that the way different companies were going to encoded HD was an issue. I was afraid that if one took off the others would be basically useless and so would systems set to the format. But i guess HD is HD, which make my life easier.

txs for posting I still have lots to read on this stuff.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

There are really 3 main issues in the HD situation:

1) Frame rate and resolution- this is pretty stable at this point. The issue is simply a matter of sync rates- and so there have been devices around since the late 80's that can handle the HD resolutions- even before they were adopted as a standard. I wouldn't fret too much here.

2) Broadcast format- while cemented- there is some rumble in the 13th hour about other alternatives. I don't expect this to change- but even if it does- the problem would be mainly an issue of the tuner box that is used to receive the channels. The resolution formats would remain the same- and the tuner/channel system would be all that might change.

3) Prerecorded format- currently some debate on the final specs for HD-DVD-- and expect a small war btwn HD-DVD and DVHS- much like DVD vs. VHS... but again- the TV set itself should be a non issue in this war since it will simply need to display the output from the device.

Really- it's like fretting over your monitor because of a MAC vs PC war. Your monitor doesn't care what format the data is, or what it came from- it just cares if it can recognize and sync to the video being produced.

The only issue which might effect the HDTVs of today is a chnge in copy protection. I'm not 100% up to date on this debate- but again- I'd expect it to be a non-issue as they now sell 100's of HD compatible displays daily... it's a little to late to be worrying about closing the barn door.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks