What's new

Oh where oh where can the RP82 be? (1 Viewer)

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Phil, go figure. Have you even seen the 30 or 50 anywhere? I'm really happy with my 82 - just waiting on Panasonic to verify the progressive scaling capability, if it exists.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I guess you guys are right. The low price just threw me for a loop considering the RP91 is still $799 and the 82 is only $279. The 30 and 50... Does it add anything besides the super slim design? seems kind of like a waste of manufacturing to me. It seems like exactly the same as the 82 but in a smaller package. I was just hoping they would make a player that will take on the toshiba SD9200 for a much lower retail price.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
The XP50 is due out around August, so no one that I know of has had access to one yet.

One issue on the RP82, beyond it's as of yet unknown scaling capability, is how good is it's MPEG decoder with respect to the highly regarded one in the RP91? I understand Pany has a new decoder superior to the one in the RP91 and there has been some speculation that either the RP82, or XP50, or both, will be utilizing the new decoder. There is an AVIA test that Stacey Spears says shows if a decoder is at least as good as the one in the RP91, so I'm curious as to how the RP82 and XP50 do on this test.

Navid T

Auditioning
If anyone is having trouble find the Panasonic RP-82, they have it in stock and ready to ship at Crutchfield. You won't be able find it on their website yet, but if you call them at 1-888-955-6000 the sales agent should be able to find it on their system. The have it listed at $229 with $10.99 shipping.
I received my RP-82 yesterday, but I have not had a chance to play around with it that much. Reading all these posts has confused me about what it can and can not do. I will spend more time with it tonight and report back tomorrow if I have the chance. I have a Mitsubishi WS 55-859 (16x9), so if there are any specific scaling or zooming tests you want me to do, let me know.
Referral code removed by administration. These are not permitted on the Home Theater Forum

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Jeff,
You're probably very interested in the upcoming Toshiba SD9500 with it's 14-bit/108MHz video DAC's and other stuff?? :)

SAWEEEET!
Thanks Navid, I cancelled my J&R order and got the one from crutchfield and actually saved 5.00. HEHE

I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. I may get it on friday. Thanks for the tip!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Dave,

I've seen both "July-August" and "August" on the XP50. I guess "in the next few weeks" is the best answer.

Jeff,

I believe the SD9500 will replace the SD9200 as a Tos's flagship player. Probably $1K on up for the SD9500.

What MSRP did the SD9200 start out as?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I think the 9200 was like $1300 or something like that but can be bought now for around $500. $1K is too expensive for me. Maybe I'll have to go with the RP82 after all, but I still have quite a few non anamorphic discs.:frowning:

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Jeff,

I'm just speculating on the SD9500 price - but extreme DVD player competition and the economy may bring the SD9500 to us more reasonable than $1K ..... don't know for sure.

Regarding non-anamorphic DVD's, what does the SD9200 do to them ........ treat them as well as the Pany RP91? Is the Toshiba zoom so good that you see no pixels or jaggies when you zoom in just enough on non-anamophics to fill a 16X9 display and can therefore watch a whole movie in zoom mode? What shape and size screen do you have your SD9200 feeding?

I know the Toshiba zooms are considered "good", but their deinterlacing and MPEG decoding are not top notch like the current Pany's. The SD9500 may be improved in these areas.

Thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If anyone is interested, I just posted a link in the Coupons and Bargains forum to an RP91 on sale at OneCall for $433.50 shipped.
what is it that takes 213.30 off the price on that link chad.

and how is onecall as a e-tailor?

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I believe that PD stands for "Promotional Discount."
I've heard good things about OneCall. They've received good reviews on Link Removed.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
OneCall is indeed a good outfit; the only caveat is they generally won't take returns except for defect (i.e., no 30 day make up your mind).

SeanM

Auditioning
In the interest of full disclosure, by using Navid's Crutchfield code, Navid gets a $20 credit towards future purchases as well.

I picked up my RP82 at a regional chain called Audio King (in MN). They are having a July sale which ends on Saturday, so I got the player for $213.

Sean

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard back from Panasonic, so I may call them back today. Navid, have you had a chance to test anything with your setup?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
In the interest of full disclosure, by using Navid's Crutchfield code, Navid gets a $20 credit towards future purchases as well.
Can anyone use this code? Is it good only for the RP82? Or can anyone use it for any item?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks