What's new

Oh where oh where can the RP82 be? (1 Viewer)

Andrew B

Agent
From what I understand all of the initial batch that Panasonic is selling in Canada is all ready spoken for by various stores and retailers and distributors. I can't wait for this unit to show up in stores, now if all the new 16:9 sets would just start showing up.....

Andrew B

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
can it random play mp3s? i bought rp56, and i am sooo dissapointed when i found that i will only play mp3 files from the first track to the last. no random play.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Is this the scaling function for non anamorphic DVDs that is on the RP91?
Unsure as of now, Rich.
If you look at the specs for the other models, this "4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift" feature is also listed under the RP-91. One would assume that this is the scaling feature we all want it to be.
But then, this feature is also listed under the RP-56 specs, which we all know doesn't have the scaling feature.
But it's weird that there are 2 seperate lists of players.
One Link Removed and one Link Removed
I am hoping that the list for the RP-56 is misprinted.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Video Scaling question...

Does Video Scaling provide a better image than a good progressive scan player on an anamorphic disk, or does it only improve the non-anamorphic DVD images?

Is the main advantage to video scaling is that you do not have to change aspect ratio of your screen thru the TV menu?
Thanks

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Oswald,

I've never owned a player with the scaling feature, but from what I know it's advantages are a better picture on NON-anamorphic DVDs. It's similar in quality of anamorphic transfers, but not quite as good.

Another huge advantage IMO; using the scaling feature on 4:3 material, the player will put BLACK bard to the side of the picture! (you leave the TV in FULL mode) I have a Toshiba 50H81 and hate the gray bars it uses.

peter_i

Second Unit
I too have the Toshiba 50hx81 and HATE those grey bars on the side!! Is there a place I can read up on scaling 4:3 material or just about video scaling? I have no idea about it. I've heard mention of it and I'm hoping that I use my Toshiba dvd player and widescreen tv in the right capacity and not losing out on both their benefits.

Chris M

Second Unit
So, has anyone tested the RP-82 with a 16:9 TV yet to see if the 4:3 and nonanamorphic scaling works like on the 91?

Thanks,
Chris.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Thanks for the quick reply Cameron.

Since I am using a FPTV the 4:3 material is not a problem. I do not have those pesky gray bars on the side. (Masking curtains work great!) I can see why it would be advantages then for that. I was just making sure that I was not missing out on something new that beats progressive scanning on anamorphic DVD,s for my system.

Han

Second Unit
Cameron and Peter, why don't you guys just use the TW1 mode for 4x3 material on DVD? That's what I do for regular cable TV and old 4x3 discs.
There are two good things about Toshiba's gray bars. First, they're gray which lessens the chance of burn-in compared to black. And second, Toshiba has orbital movement when in normal mode, so the 4x3 picture centered in the 16x9 screen isn't always in the same spot. Most widescreen TVs don't have that second feature.
Then again, I hate how noticeable the gray bars are, so that's why I use TW1. Of course I also hate having to scroll through picture modes all the time because of how the content gets presented. I wish everything was automatic to my liking!:frowning:

Real Name
Jonathan W
The "variable zoom" feature is a useless one unless you just care to fill up the whole screen in a 4:3 TV sacrificing the OAR. For 16:9 TV owner we care about how the player handle 4:3 and non-anamorphic material. However the "4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift" feature in the RP82 spec is still myterious.

JW

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Does anyone know if Best Buy will be carrying the 82. They have the 62 as of now.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Cameron and Peter, why don't you guys just use the TW1 mode for 4x3 material on DVD? That's what I do for regular cable TV and old 4x3 discs.
I do sometimes. The fact is, well at least for me, is that even when using TW1, there is still a manipulation of picture. Noticeable difference, although I will admit that the TW1 mode is one of the best stretching modes I've seen.
Things I watch with TW1 are usually material I don't care too much about. Like when watching cable or the news. When it comes to watching a 4:3 movie or even something like Star Trek TNG on DVD, I want to watch it in the original aspect ratio of 4:3. I don't want the material to succumb to the shape of my TV. I like it the other way around.
When using the built in 4:3 mode, the grey bars on the Toshiba and most other RPTVs are too distracting. I want the black bars of the scaling feature so I can turn out the lights and not see anything but the picture in it's proper proportion.
I'm not worried about burn-in when watching something in 4:3 with black bars. I don't watch a lot of 4:3 material and I feel that my TV is calibrated well enough that the dangers of RPTV burn in are minimized.
Black bars, to me, are like the masking curtains that Oswald has for his FPTV. Grey bars are like having masking curtains that glow in the dark. :)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I just found the RP-82 online at www.electroline4u.com for $229 (says they ship the same day). I got my RP-56 a couple of months ago, but I'm looking at the RP-82 for DVD-A. Never heard of this outfit before, so I think I'll wait a few weeks more.
Oops, just checked with J and R and they have it up on their site for $229. Guess I know where I'm getting it!

ScottyS

Auditioning
Bad news for those of us wishing to buy it local with pricematching. I was at Sears yesterday and inquired about the RP82. The salesperson looked all through his brand new product listings(Supposedly it just came out and covers the next 3 months). The RP82 was not in there, only the RP62 was...I hope they carry it anyway, but I guess only time will tell.

The only reason I'm waiting for the RP82 is because my Panny 47" locks into Full mode with a progressive signal, so I'm hoping this player will scale.

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty stoked right now! I just went to J&R's website (jandr.com) and checked out the availability of the RP-82. Of course, it was not available at this time because of its newness so I went ahead and placed an order for the player for $229.88 plus $11.49 shipping and handling for a grand total of $241.37.
Before hitting the complete sale button, I decided to give J&R a call to see what their policy was for a new purchase.
I spoke to Frank (Extension 1031) and he was a super salesman. He explained that the policy was to fill in the reserve orders first, that I was the second person on the reserve list, that the first shipment was to include 40 units (therefore guaranteeing that I would be one of the first to get the Panny), and he checked to see if I could get a better price than the $229 listed on their website and he told me that I could get it for...
$209.00 with $10.47 shipping (no sales tax for California) for a grand total of $219.47!!
Man, I'm so glad that I called. Thanks, Pamela, for the heads up on the listing at J&R's. I feel really satisfied with the service that I got and the price that I paid. Don't hesitate, call in right away, people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks