What's new

Oh where oh where can the RP82 be? (1 Viewer)

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Update: I tried the 16:9 mode, and full frame and non-anamorphic remained the same. Sorry guys! Still, is that something that might work in the 480P mode? This player has two modes - 480I and 480P, and the manual shows they have different settings.

Also, on page 9 of the manual, here's a note:

Viewing 4:3 aspect pictures on a 16:9 widescreen tv using progressive output
19:9 aspect pictures are shown correctly, but 4:3 aspect pictures are stretched horizontally to fill the screen.
If your TV can change the aspect when input is progressive - use the TV to change the aspect to the correct one
If your TV can't - press [Porgressive Out] so the indicator goes out. Output will now be interlace and 4:3 aspect picture is shown in the middle of the screen.

peter_i

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba 50 widescreen and I'm wondering if picture wise it will still look fine without scaling.
Is scaling all that important taking into account what tv I have? I have a Toshiba sd5700 and have been waiting till the 82 came out to return the Toshiba. Should I bother?
thanks!

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Has anyone w/a 16:9 tv gotten a hold of this player? i wanna know wut happends in the real world not just wut the manual says. like the mp3 shuffling, it could be wrong.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Brian;
Now I see what u mean by the reflection being black! I really like the looks of it better now that its chrome.
Now if J&R would just send the stupid things:angry:
Mike F.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There are speaker settings for multi-channel audio (DVD-Audio) which include speaker presence and size, delay time, and channel balance
The controlls alone doesn't garantee that it works on the DVD-A "output" as well.This player has built in DD/DTS decoder which probably utilizes the BM controlls,but one must make some kinda measurments to verify if the BM functions work with DVD-A as well.

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Deepak...

I have the player along with the manual. The things I've stated here I have either done "real world" or referred to the manual for clarification. I just stated I don't have a 16:9 TV. Did you see my link above to the photo I took?

Lewis...

The settings I mentioned above ARE for the analog outputs (very tiny note I missed earlier in the manual).

Food for thought - I just went to the Panasonic site to check something, and it looks like they copied the RP91's info to the RP82's page. The 4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift is what you guys have been asking about in terms of non-anamorphic and 4:3 material on a 16:9, and I really think that's what makes the RP91 as expensive as it is.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Im sorry if my previous post may of offended you or cause confusion. But I didnt ask what i meant to. I assume your 4:3 tv is not capable of displaying progressive scanned images so therefore the player may think it only needs to do the "4:3 shrink/letterbox zoom" only when it is displaying a progressive image, just a scenario which might be why 4:3 and non-anamorphic 16:9 material seem the same on your tv. I think that maybe the player has to be in progressive mode for it to do scaling, but i am not sure, correct me if im wrong. So sorry again if i offended you or cause confusion before.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool deepakjr - just wanted to be clear on my end that I'm trying to help where I can. And I think you're right - I should've mentioned my set is 9 years old and does not have component inputs. I'm using S-Video only right now, and I eventually plan to upgrade to a Toshiba direct-view HDTV. Can anyone chime in for the other folks for progressive scan questions on this unit?

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
OK, everyone...

I put in a call to Panasonic, and they are going to test the RP82 with a 16:9 progressive set. They will call me back with the results, and I will post them ASAP. The rep understood my two examples: 4:3 should retain black bars on the side, while non-anamorphic should lose side black bars. Let's cross our fingers!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
So this is the best player pani will release this year? Seems a little weak that the best player they can offer is only $220. They need one with all these features and more (like the scaling). BTW, how's the progressive picture from this player?

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Seems a little weak that the best player they can offer is only $220. BTW, how's the progressive picture from this player?
Weak?!
A player with the Sage chipset AND DVD-Audio for $220. If that's "weak", I'll take it any day of the week. We call that a "steal" where I come from. :D
The picture should be similar to the RP-62, which has an excellent picture. However, I won't know for sure until my 82 shows up.

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Same here - I just think the technology is cheaper now! I still haven't heard anything from Panasonic, but when I do I'll immediately post the news.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Brian,

Yeah ....... the new Pany XP50 is a mystery to me. It retails for considerably more than the RP82 and weighs about 1.2 lbs more, but has a weaker feature set on paper.

Ignoring the XP50's even lower profile than that of the RP82 and ignoring the XP50's shiny finish, I was hoping it's higher price was also partially due to better build plus AT LEAST performance/specs equal to the RP82 - but it's product sheet certainly gives no hint of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks