Bah, I need a new DVD player... (<$300)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Jan 12, 2003.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Well, now that my poor Panasonic DVD-CV51 has either become possessed or died I need a new player. The CV51 served me well, so I don't have anything against getting another Panasonic, but I'm planning on going the single-disc route this time. The only time I've ever used the 5-disc feature was for CDs, but since I plan on buying a dedicated CD player soon I don't really need it anymore.
    Anyway, I have a budget of around $300 and don't really know where to start. If I can spend less than $300 on a decent single-disc player that would be great, since I'm about to put out around $800 for a new TV and possibly more for a new receiver. Other than the basic stuff, I'm really looking for a DVD player with fair audio playback since this is going to be my doubling as my CD player for about a month. Beyond that... something available in silver would be nice and progressive scan would be a big plus since I might be buying Samsung's 27" HDTV. Buying locally is always a big plus too, especially since I'm completely without a DVD player until I pick a new one. [​IMG]
    So... what are my options in this price range?
    Thanks in advance, as usual.
    EDIT: Oh, I'm aware that the RP82 is currently the best budget player around, but since they're so difficult to find and I really want to get back to being able to watch movies soon it's pretty much out of the question for me.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

George, if you cannot locate an 'RP82, look for the Panasonic 'XP50. It is similar to the 'RP82, but it has a sleek chassis. It is built a bit better than the 'RP82. The 'XP50 lacks a coaxial digital output, but unlike the 'RP82, it has gold-plated RCA outputs. You should be able to get an 'XP50 for around $250 through J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). They are an authorized dealer.
    If you are willing to consider a changer, check out the Panasonic 'CP72, which is also similar to the 'RP82. After a $30 mail-in rebate from Panasonic, you should be able to get the 'CP72 for under $200 through OneCall (1-800-340-4770) or J&R. OneCall is also an authorized dealer. Also, Circuit City and Best Buy have the 'CP72, so you can readily see it firsthand. The 'CP72 is available in silver or black. For pictures of the unit in both colors and for more information, go to www.crutchfield.com .
    In terms of video quality, the Panasonic units are generally considered the best bets. That said, you might also look at the Sony DVP-NS755V single-disc player for around $250. I'm not sure how the video quality compares to the Panasonic players, but the 'NS755V offers a lot for the money. It is a progressive-scan player and offers SACD instead of DVD-Audio. Best Buy and Circuit City have the 'NS755V for $250, as does crutchfield.com. Check Crutchfield's web site for more information. Finally, you may get a better price on the 'NS755V through OneCall, J&R, or Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). Oade Bros. is also an authorized dealer.
    Hope this helps.

3. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Keith. I'll definitely check out the CP72 and the Sony unit. I'm also going to stop by a few smaller local shops to see if any are still stocking the RP82, although I'm not expecting to have much luck. I'll also do a bit of research into the Sony. Thanks again!