What's new

*** Official THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
He couldn't sleep, Scully had complained about his beard and so he shaved it off, nothing wrong with that - besides it's symbolic, Mulder had lost his way, issolated himself and became a newspaper clip cutter. Scully had brought Mulder back to his true passion, solving X-Files, shaving his beard represents Mulder getting back on track so to speak.

As David Duchovny said in the above linked radio interview:

"Nothing says you've given up on life more than a beard" ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I needed the novel to explain was if Mulder and Scully were living together or only saw each other sporadically and that has no real importance to the plot. What's important for the audience to know is that they have a serious relationship (whether they live together or see each other every few months) and the movie makes that clear.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I just watched this tonight for the first time, and I must say I thought it was really well done. After being numbed by so many blockbuster CGI fests, it was really neat to see a good old fashioned mystery.

The reason for the female bodies, was because they had the correct blood type to keep the head alive.

The only thing that confused me was when they went into the FBI office for the first time, the camera zoomed in and paused on the picture of George W. Bush on the wall, and then the X-Files theme played. I figured there has to be some kind of in joke there, because it really stuck out and seemed very out of place. Anyone know what that was all about?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It was a joke suggesting that the presidency under GWB has been as scary as anything you have ever seen on the X-Files. I admit: I laughed ('cause I agree).

I also enjoyed the movie. I think that it was ill-served by opening a week after the biggest blockbuster film in many years (Dark Knight) and in hindsight, it should have been released at another time. In a recent interview, Duchovny said he hopes they get a chance to make another and he'd love to play Mulder again. He also said he would like to see the series return to television in some fashion, with different characters.

Here is the story:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=62731

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Just watched this last night.
I wasn't a huge fan of the show but I enjoyed the first movie.
I enjoyed it even though it was basically a TV movie plot.
Being a little confused from what I remember from the trailer earlier in the year, I went to the international trailer on the Blu-Ray.
Oh man, it is so funny to see how they sold this as an alien invasion flick.
The abducted FBI agent looks out her garage and sees a blinding blue light (never happened).
I could have sworn they put in guttural monster sounds as they showed shadows running around the room.
It turned out to be another paint by numbers, Ashley Judd/Kiss the Girls late 90s thriller with a stem cell research subplot tacked on.
Not a bad movie but I am shocked Fox greenlit this as a movie.
It would have made a great X-Files TV movie (like 24:Redemption).

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The Bush joke can also be construed as a nod to a deleted scene from the final episode of the series, which featured The Toothpick Man informing Bush about Mulder's escape.

Real Name
Rachel Bowman

You could also phrase it like this: After the last eight years [of Hollywood taking cheap shots at the President], you have to ask? :eek:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I found this report from last October:

"Yesterday, IESB mentioned that FOX chairman Tom Rothman is up for another "X-Files" movie - so long as the cast and crew are.

Today, Frank Spotnitz, co-writer and producer of this Summer's "X-Files : I Want to Believe", responded to Rothman's claims that the ball is in their court.

"I was encouraged to read Tom Rothman's remarks as well", Spotnitz says in his blog. "I anticipated the studio would wait until after the release of the DVD to make any decision regarding a third movie, but I will let you know if we end up having any news before then."

It surprises me that Fox would consider a third X-Files movie given how badly the second one bombed. However, I Want to Believe WAS cheap - only $30 million - and after DVD sales, it probably at least broke even. Maybe they figure a third movie would be the charm?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really wanted to like the new X-Files episode...And if it was a regular episode. I would have been good. I just think they are missing the mark. The first one was just too X-Files mythology (ie-Aliens). And the 2nd was just not X-Files wierd enough. They need to do what the producers of Trek 2 did. Go back and watch all of the episodes and see what episodes worked the best. And then make a movie like that. Have a monster like Tooms or some other kind of bizarre stuff.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was really tempted to pick up the double movie bluray.

Still havent seen the second film. Will have to do that.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I want a third film (shot here in Vancouver again, naturally) that finally deals with the alien colonization (the whole 2012 timetable hinted at by the series' conclusion). The film could still be shot cheaply and released anytime other than summer. Hopefully this becomes a reality!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Exactly, it was a mistake to release the second film during the summer. It wasn't a summer movie. It would have done much better at Halloween.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The second movie was released a week after The Dark Knight. Now, no one could have predicted the massive, unprecendented success of that movie, but looking back at other films in the series, it seems obvious that you don't want your movie to follow a Batman film if at all possible.

I thought I Want To Believe was a good movie, but had some of the worst release timing in the history of movies. Here's to a third film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks