What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official Oscars 2022 Nominations And Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Seems likely that his pay per movie will drop, but my guess is that he will be able to keep making movies if he wants to.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He will be 63 when his ban is over. Not sure what will be left of his career at that point. He is probably set financially at this stage but his "value" as an actor going forward has been destroyed.
:laugh: Are you kidding me? I've seen too many people beforehand that came back from much worse circumstances. Furthermore, in time, there is a segment of our society that will embrace Smith again because they abhorred the "lynch mob" mentality that has always been present in our society. Now, a similar mentality exists on social media and social outlets where a person can be literally lynched repeatedly in digital form.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A 10 year Academy ban seems unduly harsh to me. Granted what he did was stupid, but it was a single slap and some harsh language, not a beating. A 2 year ban would have been a sufficient punishment IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A 10 year Academy ban seems unduly harsh to me. Granted what he did was stupid, but it was a single slap and some harsh language, not a beating. A 2 year ban would have been a sufficient punishment IMO.
I'm fine with the ban, but I'm not fine with some of the stuff being suggested to further punish Smith.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
:laugh: Are you kidding me? I've seen too many people beforehand that came back from much worse circumstances. Furthermore, in time, there is a segment of our society that will embrace Smith again because they abhorred the "lynch mob" mentality that has always been present in our society. Now, a similar mentality exists on social media and social outlets where a person can be literally lynched repeatedly in digital form.

I think people were forgiving but now much less so. Now I also think people just chose not to work with someone if there is a problem of any sort. The way I see things like this is it should be between the two men and the Academy and network for him disrupting the broadcast.

However, that's not how people in the business see it. They see it as if you buy Will Smith for your project you buy his baggage and if you buy his baggage it is like saying you don't have an issue with his baggage. When you do that then you also get judged as approving of his baggage. In this way, it is a vicious business. Like I said, nobody needs Will Smith, they can pick another actor that does not have the baggage.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think people were forgiving but now much less so. Now I also think people just chose not to work with someone if there is a problem of any sort. The way I see things like this is it should be between the two men and the Academy and network for him disrupting the broadcast.

However, that's not how people in the business see it. They see it as if you buy Will Smith for your project you buy his baggage and if you buy his baggage it is like saying you don't have an issue with his baggage. When you do that then you also get judged as approving of his baggage. In this way, it is a vicious business. Like I said, nobody needs Will Smith, they can pick another actor that does not have the baggage.
I'm still not buying your argument as I think things will die down after this year and he can rehabilitate his image going forward. It's not like he committed violence against a woman or a child. He slapped not punched another man. People will get over it in a short period of time.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm fine with the ban, but I'm not fine with some of the stuff being suggested to further punish Smith.
I think the "lynch mob" mentality has gotten out of hand. He slapped Rock's face, not murdered him. It was bad judgment, but he doesn't deserve to have his career ruined over it. I just think they are going a bit overboard with the punishment.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he has to publicly apologize to Chris Rock. However, I hope he privately does it.

He already did:

"In a post on Instagram on Monday afternoon, Smith called his behavior "unacceptable and inexcusable."
'Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally," he wrote. "I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.'"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He already did:

"In a post on Instagram on Monday afternoon, Smith called his behavior "unacceptable and inexcusable."
'Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally," he wrote. "I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.'"
We're not talking about that Instagram post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not fine with some of the stuff being suggested to further punish Smith.
I think that Smith knew he would be expelled from the Academy if he had not resigned. When he chose to resign preemptively, he took away that option from the Academy as far as how to punish him. Therefore, I'm not really sure what else they could have realistically done to him. Maybe they could have banned him from being eligible for future awards consideration, but there is no precedence for that either so it seemed unlikely.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
People are saying WS didn't publicly apologize to CR, but he did.

Not sure why the format somehow diminishes this. Does WS have to physically meet with CR to apologize for it to "count"?
Because people want more which is always the case. They want a public apology between the two men in which both of them are present for all to see. In short, that Instragram post isn't enough for such people. My position, the Instagram post is a public apology, but I would hope that the two men talk privately whether on the phone or in person to iron out their differences. If not then no big deal!

Anyhow, I'm done with any further explanations.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
If there was to be an apology, the best and most sincere time and place would have been during his Best Actor acceptance speech. At least then, it would have been less carefully crafted (by publicists, etc.) and maybe more from the heart.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If there was to be an apology, the best and most sincere time and place would have been during his Best Actor acceptance speech. At least then, it would have been less carefully crafted (by publicists, etc.) and maybe more from the heart.

Agreed.
His speech was about what, 45 minutes later.

Plenty of time to make a proper apology.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He had hours to think and he was dancing hours later, you don't expect him to apologize just 45 minutes later! :D

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What would Rock have to gain from a public meeting? He doesn’t need Smith for anything. Smith needs him.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from seeing a screening of Cabaret. It was great seeing Liza much more healthy and vibrant than she was when she recently presented best picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks