What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Someone at the academy would at least partially be at fault. I don't think Cordon and Wilson were randomly picked to present VFX. I personally liked the joke with the exception of the VFX winners then having their Oscars handed to them by people in Cat costumes.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That's a solid set of movies but I was slightly lukewarm on the third one.
Fair enough. From an accessibility standpoint and appealing to a wider audience there's no question Toy Story can't be beat. From a personal standpoint I never viewed the Toy Story series as much more than high quality children's movies that parents will also enjoy. Case in point, I never even saw the last one because my kids were beyond the age where they were interested anymore and the wife and I weren't really interested enough to see it without them.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Well, The Artist was all sub-titled, too. I was just reading a discussion about that, some are saying that film was the first Foreign Film to win best picture as it was produced by a non-English-speaking country. The film was predominantly financed by France with some money coming from Belgium. Then others say, no, because it was silent and the brief dialogue was in English. Then others counter with, but this year the category is International Feature Film, are the rules saying it has to be in a language other than English, etc. I don't know, what do you think about it?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I can’t speak to how the VFX joke landed as I didn’t watch the ceremony, but I imagine the VES is addressing a larger issue. And it’s one I agree with. The Oscars itself often treats the technical categories as a ghetto during the ceremony, which is literally the only time during the calendar year that some of those disciplines receive ANY attention from the vast majority of cinema goers. To make matters worse, it’s ALWAYS actors reading the script professionally teasing them. I’ve told this story here before, but years ago they trotted out Sandra Bullock (who had DIRECTED by this point) to explain the job of the editor. The editors job, per the Oscars script, was to choose between a close up or distance shot of a scene, and that actors preferred close ups.

The EDITOR. Literally, the Craftsperson that has the one discipline genuinely unique to motion pictures, since every other discipline can be found in other forms of storytelling. I was appalled then, and it remains one of the reasons I don’t watch the program anymore. For ABC and most of the viewers, it’s a party to see attractive actors all dressed up to celebrate their sacred craft of acting and dole out a crumb or two to the less “prestigious” workers. Which is fine, except when the ceremony leans into that reading. Which it apparently does, every year, to one or another of the non-acting awards.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Would anyone have thought it was a good joke if the presenters for "The Irishman" had come out talking and dressing like stereotypical Mafiosi and wearing Fedoras? It is an awards show and the presenters should have been appropriately dressed, period. Appearing in badly done Cat costumes was not appropriate dress for an award show. It may have been meant as a "joke" but it was just disrespectful.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last week my wife and I caught the one film we hadn't seen from all the nominees: Corpus Christi, the Polish entry nominated but losing to Parasite in the International Category. Perhaps the lesser of the 5 nominated films, but still a very worthy, strong entry in the category. Watch it if you get a chance.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Finally saw PARASITE last week. Wow, what a film. Definitely deserved the BP nomination. Not sure about the win, as I haven't had a chance to see all the nominees yet.

But it's definitely a contender.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Corpus Christi, the Polish entry nominated but losing to Parasite in the International Category.

Good to hear you saw it and liked it. We get it opening here next week.

On another note, the Oscars were over a month ago now. While I'm by no means saying that we should stop using the thread if there are additional things we want to discuss, maybe it doesn't need to be sticky at the top of the forum anymore?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Okay, I feel like I just had to bump this very old thread because the following clip happened on last night's episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, in which Andy Cohen was playing for Planned Parenthood. I tried to find the actual thread for the year in question but couldn't, so decided this year's thread was the second best place to post the clip.

This is hilarious. I was howling all the way through it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had no idea "Millionaire" still was on the air!
Special Prime-Time 'Celebrity' version this spring hosted by Jimmy Kimmel. (Syndicated version ended Jan '19).

Due to current situation, the 'Ask The Audience' lifeline was replaced by 'Ask The Host'. And the celebrities were allowed one person to 'help' for the first ten questions.

It was successful enough to get a renewal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks