What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Excuse me but who are you to tell anyone their opinion on a friggin movie is not allowed.

All we do is watch them, just like you unless you secretly have some creative part in the making of that movie.

If someone told me that my FAVORITE movie blows who am I to tell them they’re not allowed to say that.

Your favorite movie blows! :D

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I know I'm allergic to Idina Menzel's voice, but I found all the other Elsas to have better, more mellifluous voices than hers. I just can't stand her nasal tones.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If you fill out your ballot based on what you truly feel are the best selections of the year but, your ballot isn't diverse, should you be forced to change your vote just to satisfy political correctness?

while I don’t think it makes much sense. I’m sure there are many would would essentially say “yes” to that question, that you must consider diversity when it comes to picking your favorite. Stephen King made similar themed comments to yours a couple of weeks ago. Predictably, outrage led him to walk back those comments lickety split.

could the industry be doing more to make it easier for foreigners, women, PoC to get a foot in?, maybe. But maybe women just don’t gravitate as much to directing careers much like men don’t, for the most part gravitate toward nursing. And like most other things, it comes down to money and what studios think will be profitable

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
That remains to be seen by me. When I finally watch this movie, I hope I'm not disappointed because of all the praise it's received.

Pretty much in the same boat. Missed this film theatrically, so I'll be watching it soon (hopefully). The only film by Bong Joon Ho I've seen is 2013's Snowpiercer. While I enjoyed certain aspects of the film, I felt like there were subtleties that I may have missed that caused the film to not completely resonate with me. Watching Snowpiercer wasn't a bad experience, but hopefully Parasite will deliver a more compelling one. We'll see.

- Walter,

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching 'Parasite' (first viewing). Academy members done good. The film absolutely deserved the Best Picture Oscar and Bong Joon Ho deserved his Best Director statue too. The Booth Bijou gives the film 5 out of 5 stars. I've never seen a film like this one, I was riveted to the screen.

I don't know if there are rules that prevent it but, frankly, I'm disappointed that some of the film's cast weren't nominated for Leading or Supporting Actor awards. Yes, the film is that good.

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't know if there are rules that prevent it but, frankly, I'm disappointed that some of the film's cast weren't nominated for Leading or Supporting Actor awards.

Since you posted this comment in both the Parasite thread and here, I guess I'll answer it in both places for anyone who happens to be reading one or the other.

Why would there be rules in place to prevent it? If you mean because they are acting in a foreign language, then, no, there are not. Antonio Bandaras was nominated this year for Pain and Glory. Two actors were nominated last year from Roma. Isabelle Huppert was nominated a few years ago for Elle. And Amour also received an acting nomination in the year when it was nominated for Best Picture.

I think the trouble with Parasite getting individual acting nominations is that it truly is an ensemble piece, and while everyone is really great in it, no one stands above anyone else as the center of the film. Joaquin Phoenix and Renee Zellweger were the absolute center of their respective films, and if you took those performances out and replaced them with other actors, the film would fall apart. Even though the supporting casts around them were doing good work, in both cases, the whole movie revolved specifically around their character. With Parasite being structured as an ensemble piece, it's harder to single out single performances because the nature of the storytelling makes it an ensemble piece rather than a vehicle for a star turn. That isn't meant to knock on the cast at all, but it's a different storytelling design than stuff that usually gets individual acting awards. They did win Best Ensemble at the Screen Actors Guild Awards, and this is exactly the kind of film that benefits from a category like that rather than an individual achievement category because there, they were able to honor the entire group. The Academy doesn't really have a mechanism to honor an entire cast collectively for acting.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Excuse me but who are you to tell anyone their opinion on a friggin movie is not allowed.
All we do is watch them, just like you unless you secretly have some creative part in the making of that movie.
If someone told me that my FAVORITE movie blows who am I to tell them they’re not allowed to say that.

Since my remark seems to have offended several people I will offer my reasoning when I wrote it. I was reacting to the meme created all last awards season about Green Book and the numerous attacks on it by people who preferred another film to win Best Picture. It became more about everything else than the actual film. It was little about opinions of the actual film and more about the politics of awards season.

For example:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-truth-green-book-controversy-1175540

And the day after this year's Oscars I happened to read two articles where the authors were doing the same thing--a year later! Then I read three separate posts on this thread, for example, where it was being compared to the "unworthy" Shakespeare in Love getting Best Picture, another meme created after vocal people started complaining it shouldn't've won over Saving Private Ryan. You know, this idea, repeated often, that Shakespeare in Love was an inferior choice is not shared by all people, especially women, as I learned at an AMPAS series of screenings one time in an audience Q&A afterwards. It's just a different choice. Ryan would definitely have been my choice, but hearing a lot of women discuss why they really like the Shakespeare film has given me more of a generosity of spirit that I didn't have before.

In my post I was reacting more to the meme, as in "enough already" to perpetuating that idea than to anyone posting actual opinions of Green Book itself. It's one thing to have real considered opinions of ones likes and dislikes, but the internet doesn't foster a generosity of spirit when it comes to different movie opinions. Absolutes tend to prevail.

Arguments over movies during award season reach fever pitches often. Sometimes I step back and compare it to people's taste in food. I mean, no one cares if someone else likes or dislikes tomatoes. But a movie...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Luke Perry had a (albeit small) supporting role in a film that received 10 AA nominations and appeared across from the lead actor/ co-star of the film the same year that he passed from this realm. For me, the timing of these events means that he should have been included in the 'In Memoriam' segment. If he wasn't in OUATIH then, not so much. Just my $0.02.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The VFX Society were offended by the Cats joke at the Oscars.
To me, that was a cheap shot because it's famous people mocking the "little people" that work on a movie. A solid comedy rule is to punch upward and not down. Also, Corden and Wilson need to look at other people (a good starting point might be a mirror) long before blaming the effects people that the movie was shitty.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There was a way that Corden and Wilson could have been funny and self-deprecating about Cats without making it sound like they were passing the buck to other people. They chose not to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RinehartMateschitz
Recent bookmarks