What's new

Vote: Oscars (2022) - Best Picture - Your Choice (1 Viewer)

Best Picture - Your Choice - Oscars (2022)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It's just a game for fun. Vote one! And remember this will stay as a document in history where your children can blame you in 40 years! :D

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have not seen Drive My Car and Licorice Pizza. I have no desire to see Licorice Pizza. Drive My Car later.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I loved Punch-Drunk Love, I like There Will Be Blood.

This is cinema after all and you have to have that extra thing. When I look at the Licorice Pizza trailer, I don't see that magical cinematic look on the lead. Is the lead an actor? Is she any good? Reminds me of Sofia Coppola trying to act.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I loved Punch-Drunk Love, I like There Will Be Blood.

This is cinema after all and you have to have that extra thing. When I look at the Licorice Pizza trailer, I don't see that magical cinematic look on the lead. Is the lead an actor? Is she any good? Reminds me of Sofia Coppola trying to act.

The two leads are first time actors and they do a great job. Licorice Pizza is a slice of life story. So, there is no big dramatic arc and we just see pieces of the lives of the characters once they meet. I think it is a lot more like Punch Drunk Love than There Will Be Blood, if that is any help. It's a sweet somewhat comic film about what being young and in love is like. There is no big message and no huge drama in the story. So, I would classify it as a "hang out" film where you spend a couple hours hanging out with these characters and the people that cross their paths.

The two young leads are meant to be outsiders and she is a bit adrift in life trying to find a direction to go in, while he is an over ambitious teen with big dreams and plans.

I would guess that if you don't find the two primary characters interesting or funny...well...this could be a slog because I think how the picture plays with people completely rests upon how engaged you are with the two leads.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The two leads are first time actors and they do a great job. Licorice Pizza is a slice of life story. So, there is no big dramatic arc and we just see pieces of the lives of the characters once they meet. I think it is a lot more like Punch Drunk Love than There Will Be Blood, if that is any help. It's a sweet somewhat comic film about what being young and in love is like. There is no big message and no huge drama in the story. So, I would classify it as a "hang out" film where you spend a couple hours hanging out with these characters and the people that cross their paths.

The two young leads are meant to be outsiders and she is a bit adrift in life trying to find a direction to go in, while he is an over ambitious teen with big dreams and plans.

I would guess that if you don't find the two primary characters interesting or funny...well...this could be a slog because I think how the picture plays with people completely rests upon how engaged you are with the two leads.
I actually enjoyed it, for what it's worth. And I agree with your assessment.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I actually enjoyed it, for what it's worth. And I agree with your assessment.

I already mentioned the film Over the Edge in this thread in relation to something else but the truth is I think Over the Edge and Licorice Pizza have a lot in common. The young first time actors playing leads, the point of view being that of young, sort of lost, kids, these kids interacting with the adult world in ways that don't really seem beneficial to them and that only further complicates their lives. I think these two would make a great double feature.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think Chalamet is a bit overrated these days, and I felt he phoned-in his performance in “Dune”. However he was great in “Beautiful Boy”…he can be brilliant at times.

The truth is I have not seen Chalamet in much more than the three pictures I mentioned so I only have those to go on. If he was in some other pictures where he was good that would make sense because the directors that cast him must have had a reason why they were interested in working with him.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Results:

1 - Votes: 8 - 25.0%
CODA

2 - Votes: 5 - 15.6%
Belfast
West Side Story

3 - Votes: 4 - 12.5%
The Power of the Dog