What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here is the original scan vs. the end result as delivered by 3-D Film Archive on THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE.

The 35mm negatives - and especially the many opticals (dupe negative) scattered throughout the film - are terribly faded. On top of extensive color correction and flicker reduction, factor in the meticulous shot-by-shot stereoscopic alignment/panel matching by Greg Kintz and frame-by-frame dirt/damage clean-up by Thad Komorowski and you would expect a restoration of this caliber to easily run six figures. In fact, if it went to a post facility like Photokem in LA or Cineric in NY, it could easily have run $200K, or more.

We brought the entire restoration in for $14K.

If we had tried to raise more than ten times what we ultimately spent in bringing this rare film back to life, it would have never been seen in 3-D again. There's simply not enough profit to be made with a 3-D Blu-ray release. But for three months, we worked around the clock to make this happen. Multiple favors were pulled and many sleepless nights went into finishing the master. We believe you will be quite pleased with our results.

REDHEADS was a big hit when it premiered at the TCM festival and you can own it on 3-D Blu-ray when it's released by Kino Lorber on May 23!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I forgot to mention: we restored the long-lost three channel stereophonic sound as well. Don't forget to check out the restoration demo on the Blu-ray.

Also, this is the first commentary track on a vintage 3-D Blu-ray release that actually focuses on the three-dimensional aspect of the production. Greg Kintz, Hillary Hess, Jack Theakston and yours truly discuss cameras, lenses, lighting, etc. We believe you will find it quite interesting.

Lionel Lindon's stereoscopic compositions on REDHEADS are outstanding, with extensive use of multi-layering in nearly every shot. His camera work on SANGAREE and JIVARO is equally impressive.

Last edited:

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Bob, it's interesting that you should mention SANGAREE and JIVARO. I have been surprised to learn how much interest these titles have aroused among the vintage film buffs I truck with. But then again, I'm not all that surprised, as both films have much to recommend them, being prime examples of Golden Age Hollywood melodrama and action/adventure, respectively.

If you stop and think about it, Paramount's 3-D output of the 1950s shows a remarkable diversity of subject matter not necessarily seen at other studios. Consider: Warner Bros. made some outstanding 3-D movies, but of their total output, two were horror pictures and and five were Westerns! Then they threw in a Hitchcock classic for good measure. Similarly, Universal gave us three sci-fi classics, two fine Westerns, and a noir. But Paramount offered a Revolutionary War-era melodrama, SANGAREE, a ding-dang musical Western, THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, a two-fisted jungle adventure with an amazing cast of character actors, JIVARO, and maybe the most unexpectedly unique war flick of all time, CEASE FIRE!

I've got plenty more to say about this remarkable 3-D catalogue, but for right now, let me say I am very grateful to Kino Lorber and the 3-D Film Archive for caring about these often overlooked titles (and their audience, which continues to grow as awareness builds).

P.S. - Talk about a lapse of memory: How could I leave out mention of Paramount's espionage thriller FLIGHT TO TANGIER and the terrific Martin and Lewis comedy MONEY FROM HOME? But it adds to my thesis: Paramount was glad to try just about any subject matter in 3-D.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Many of you know what my passion is - I won't bore you with it - So Redheads isn't particularly a title that appeals to me. HOWEVER, since Bob and several others, not to mention the great folks at KINO went out of their way to make this release happen, I'll buy a copy.

Stupid question time: I'm aware that recent 3-D films need the special 3-D TV. Back in the 50's, they used those cardboard red/green glasses, right? So do you still need a 3-D TV to watch a title like Redheads?

And, will a title like Redheads have a non-3D version as well?

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Warren, I feel qualified to answer. The English-language 3-D features of the 1950s all used polarized light for transmission, not red/cyan anaglyph. Several black-and-white titles were reissued in anaglyph format in the 1970s and '80s, which has caused some confusion.

Even though REDHEADS benefits greatly from the bright, colorful, fully restored 3-D imagery we all saw at TCM a few weeks ago, you will be able to see and enjoy it in 2-D on this disc. And it will still be a pleasure, I dare say. But do your best to try to see it at least once in depth. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And, will a title like Redheads have a non-3D version as well?

The Blu-ray specification requires that all 3D titles be playable in 2D as well. Some studios handle this by including both the 2D and 3D versions on the same disc; other studios include each version on its own disc.

I really wish that this point had been made clearer when 3D was added to the Blu-ray spec. I feel like this is the single most common question that I see about any BD3D release. I wonder how many potential sales have been lost because 2D-only customers mistakenly thought they would be unable to watch the discs without a 3D TV. Definitely an oversight on behalf of the people who are responsible for promoting the Blu-ray format.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Was it the Blu Ray company who dictated that a 2-D version must be included?

The consortium that writes the spec and licenses the trademarks - yes. They wanted it so that if you saw the Blu-ray logo on any package, you'd know it would play in your player. The same way some discs include things like Dolby Atmos or lossless audio for people who can play those formats, but they still work just fine for people using older systems or just watching on a TV.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The Blu-ray specification requires that all 3D titles be playable in 2D as well. Some studios handle this by including both the 2D and 3D versions on the same disc; other studios include each version on its own disc.

I really wish that this point had been made clearer when 3D was added to the Blu-ray spec. I feel like this is the single most common question that I see about any BD3D release. I wonder how many potential sales have been lost because 2D-only customers mistakenly thought they would be unable to watch the discs without a 3D TV. Definitely an oversight on behalf of the people who are responsible for promoting the Blu-ray format.

Yes, what they should have done is mention that a 3D version is available as a extra on the Blu-ray packaging. More people buy 2D Blu-ray's than 3D.

dagover

Agent
Real Name
Brian
The Blu-ray specification requires that all 3D titles be playable in 2D as well.

That's good to know since, from what I read, 5-10% of the population can't see in 3-D. I'm one, and never knew it until I went to see Avatar and only got the 3-D experience in one short scene. That answered my question as to why 3-D movies I saw at theaters in the 50's (Creature from the Black Lagoon) didn't look any different than seeing them on an old b&w TV.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yes, what they should have done is mention that a 3D version is available as a extra on the Blu-ray packaging. More people buy 2D Blu-ray's than 3D.

Then the 3D people would complain they're being treated like second class citizens! :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Then the 3D people would complain they're being treated like second class citizens! :)

It's a conundrum for sure, but doing what some companies have recently done -- that is, to sell the disc as 2D but also add a sticker on the cover saying, "3D version also included" might help.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
KL Studio Classics Spring Sale!
DVD from $5.98 to $7.98
Blu-ray from $9.98 to $11.98

Free USA shipping for orders of $50 or more!
Free Canada shipping for orders of $100 or more!

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/kl-studio-classics-spring-sale

3 Bad Men (1926) – Blu-ray only
Absolution (1978) – DVD & Blu-ray
Ambush Bay (1966) – DVD & Blu-ray
American Dreamer (1984) – Blu-ray only
Back Roads (1981) – Blu-ray only
Bad Girl (1931) – Blu-ray only
Beachhead (1954) – DVD & Blu-ray
Beautiful Blonde From Bashful Bend, The (1949)
Bitch, The (1979) – DVD & Blu-ray
CaboBlanco (1980) – DVD & Blu-ray
Captive City, The (1952) – Blu-ray only
Chamber of Horrors (1940) – DVD & Blu-ray
Cuba (1979) – DVD & Blu-ray
Dakota (1945) – DVD & Blu-ray
Eleni (1985) – DVD & Blu-ray
Farewell to Arms, A (1957) – Blu-ray only
File of the Golden Goose, The (1969) – Blu-ray only
Finders Keeper (1984) – DVD & Blu-ray
Five Miles to Midnight (1962) – DVD & Blu-ray
Fort Massacre (1958) – Blu-ray only
Framed (1975) – DVD & Blu-ray
Gorp (1980) – DVD & Blu-ray
Grandview U.S.A. (1984)
Hurricane, The (1937) – Blu-ray only
Invisible Ghost (1941) – DVD & Blu-ray
Loophole (1981) – DVD & Blu-ray
Man on Fire (1987) – DVD & Blu-ray
Man Who Could Cheat Death, The (1959) – DVD & Blu-ray
Manhattan Project (1986) – DVD & Blu-ray
Migrants, The (1974) – DVD only
Modesty Blaise (1966) – Blu-ray only
Optimists, The (1973) – DVD & Blu-ray
Papa's Delicate Condition (1963) – DVD & Blu-ray
Phantom From 10,000 Leagues (1956) – DVD & Blu-ray
Pied Piper, The (1972) – DVD & Blu-ray
Purple Plain, The (1955) – Blu-ray only
Really Weird Tales (1987) – DVD only
Revengers, The (1972) – Blu-ray only
Robbers' Roost (1955) – Blu-ray only
Roland and Rattfink (17 Cartoons) – DVD & Blu-ray
Rosary Murders, The (1987) – DVD & Blu-ray
Salaam Bombay! (1988) – Blu-ray only
Scar, The (1948) – DVD & Blu-ray
Scavenger Hunt (1979) – DVD & Blu-ray
Scissors (1991) – DVD & Blu-ray
Sicilian Clan, The (1969) (2 Disc Special Edition) – DVD & Blu-ray
Skull, The (1965) – DVD & Blu-ray
Something Big (1971) – Blu-ray only
Steele Justice (1987) – DVD & Blu-ray
Stud, The (1978) – DVD & Blu-ray
Sunset in the West (1950) – DVD & Blu-ray
Table For Five (1983) – Blu-ray only
Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969) – DVD & Blu-ray
Tijuana Toads (17 Cartoons) – DVD & Blu-ray
Tristan + Isolde (2006) – Blu-ray only
Trouble Man (1972) – Blu-ray only
Two For the Seesaw (1962) – Blu-ray only
Ulee's Gold (1997) – Blu-ray only
Unholy Four, The (1970) – DVD & Blu-ray
War Between Men and Women, The (1972) – Blu-ray only
Welcome to L.A. (1977) – Blu-ray only
Where's Poppa? (1970) – DVD & Blu-ray
Who is Harry Kellerman and Why is He Saying… (1971) – Blu-ray only
Who? (1975) – DVD & Blu-ray
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971) – DVD & Blu-ray
Wolf Lake (1980) – DVD & Blu-ray
ZPG (Zero Population Growth) (1972) – DVD & Blu-ray

Note: The Hurricane (1937) will go out of print as of July 31, 2017 – The title will be available exclusively on our website while supplies last.

ss2.0.jpg

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Hurricane, The (1937) is showing as temporarily out of stock but you are still allowed to order it. Since it is going out of print does this mean it is now sold out for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks