What's new

*** Official "FRAILTY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
That's an interesting take Dennis. I did not think of that perspective at all, however it makes sense. However, I do not understand what you mean by when you say "makes the movie easier to digest."? I'm curious as to how this makes it "easier" to take, rather than being just another take on the movie.

Alex, that makes sense.

Did anyone else wonder what the last "demon" did? I wonder why they left us hanging on that one?

All this disecting makes me want to see the movie again.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think it was more a function of pacing than ambiguity. By only showing us example of two of their crimes, it doesn't get repetitive. I mean, wouldn't you kind of say "I got it, already" if you were shown it over and over again?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Did anyone else wonder what the last "demon" did? I wonder why they left us hanging on that one?
Judging by his response to his wife, I'd assumed he was a wife beater, misogynist and all around nasty person.

I enjoyed the movie, but also found much of it somewhat predictable. I felt as soon as Adam talked the FBI agent into leaving his office and driving to the Rose Garden that he would become a victim. I also suspected that it was really Adam at the FBI office, rather than Fenton. And I thought that Fenton would kill his father rather than take part in the "demon hunting." The thing that did surprise me was that Fenton was a demon/serial killer. Up until the end, you always think Fenton is the single sane person in the film.

One thing that I didn't understand was that they were digging all these graves in the middle of what was supposed to be a public rose garden. Didn't the public ever mosey on into the garden? Or notice all the lights and digging going on at night? Or was that supposed to be part of God's "blinding" the masses to their activities?

Definitely one of the highlights of 2002 so far.

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,
What I meant when I said "easier for them to digest" was that some viewers would have to put a different spin on the movie so it makes sense to their moral compass. If they accepted story as presented in the film it wouldn't allow them be comfortable understanding what the movie told us. Some viewers may look for a way of getting God out of the equation and putting Satan in....to provide them a comfortable explanation for the events portrayed in the film (which were more than just a little disturbing).
You are correct..it is a "different take" on the movie..but this film can hit some pretty raw nerves compared to other movies. Digest seemed like a more appropriate term for me to use in that context.
:)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I just finally got to see this one. What a great movie. I haven't liked a horror movie this much in a long time. Matthew really won me over in this one. I didn't feel that Bill was too over the top, either. I thought he was very believable. Just a great movie. This marks the third straight film I've caught that went above expectations. Donnie Darko, Ghost World, and now this one. It's unusual for that to happen in a six month period, let alone a week's time. I highly recommend this one.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Dennis take onthis one: Until the end of the movie, (perhaps depending on how religious you are), you believe that either the Dad was really the hand of god or he was crazy (my initial belief). I think that they wanted you to believe the latter, or else there would be no point in the ending: What good does it do if the "revelation" is something that was obvious all along? I never believed that Dad was right until the video tape. Everything else, especially the visions the showed could have simply been those of a mad man. I don't think the cop even ever clearly acknowledged killing his mom.

Great movie. The DVD will be MINE!

--

Holadem

ChrisOlson

Auditioning
Need a little help....what was the deal with the beginning of the movie where Fenton "supposedly" shoots himself in the head after talking to Adam

I must have completely missed the boat here...

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I don't think the cop even ever clearly acknowledged killing his mom.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that after Adam "touched" him and we see the flashback (FBI agent killing his mother) the agent, in his apparant dilusional state, mumbles something like, "How did you know?"

Jeff Willy

Agent
Question:

Did Adam write in the FBI agent's name on the list of names pinned on the wall at Fenton's house? If so, it would have been an apparent attempt to blame Fenton for the death of the FBI agent. Why would Adam care? Did they try to cover up the deaths of other demons? I don't think so.

Excellent movie. Hasn't made me do mental gymnastics like Donnie Darko, but darn close.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
SPOILERS AHEAD if you've not seen this gem!
Just saw this beauty last night...my Halloween pick. Simple, haunting and effective. I was really, REALLY hoping it would end with Adam bringing the axe down on the agent. Great cut to black, but the ending coda illuminated the situation a bit more than I needed. Great use of audience perception with Young Fenton, who you feel attached to throughout the film. All the way until the flashback of the Rose Garden promise. Then the tables are turned, and the films adjusts.
My interpretation:
1. Fenton is the "official FBI-hunted" God's Hand Killer. He's killed 6, trying to bring his brother down.
2. Adam is not a killer, but he is God's Hand. Who know how many demons he's destroyed in his life. There is no record of what Adam has done or will do. His brother is the killer they are looking for. Adam's job as Sheriff certainly protects him in his work, doesn't it?
3. Wasn't his wife pregnant at the end, foreshadowing a new God's Hand? :D
Great movie, I'd love to see it again soon. And maybe bust a few of those commentaries open ;)
Take care,
Chuck

aldamon

Second Unit
I just saw this film on DVD. A poster listed it in his top 10 list for 2002, so I put it in the Netflix queue. What a great flick! I found myself "predicting" certain aspects of the film, but I never quite put it all together. Unlike some other films I have seen, this film's twist kept me thinking instead of cringing. Whoever that poster was, thanks for the recommendation!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Dragging out an old thread, this movie really freaked me out when I saw it yesterday. The ending especially, with it all being true instead of the father and younger son being scitzophrenic.

One thing I really liked... Bill Paxton's performance - Even as we see him do these horrible, cruel, terrible things, we still get a sense that he's a good man and a good father. He really cares about his kids. The subtler things too... he kills all the "demons" without hesitation, but when he kills the sheriff, a real man, he vomits out of repulsion.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I love this film. I saw it during the October Scary Movie Challange, and fell in love with it. After renting it from Netflix, I immediatly went out and picked it up from Best Buy. I'm amazed at how well the actor that portrayed young Fenton was able to carry most of the film, he's a young actor to watch.
...this thread makes me want to go downstairs and flip it on for another spin :)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Since the official thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd take the opportunity to respond to an old comment that was never resolved...
Did Adam write in the FBI agent's name on the list of names pinned on the wall at Fenton's house? If so, it would have been an apparent attempt to blame Fenton for the death of the FBI agent. Why would Adam care? Did they try to cover up the deaths of other demons? I don't think so.
As Boothe said himself, "I'm an FBI agent. They'll come looking for me.". If the FBI finds the list with his name on it and his wallet in the basement(drenched in his blood) along with five other bodies, the case would be pretty much closed. They'd still be looking for Fenton, but the search for Boothe's body would be a lower priority. Plus, it was pretty obvious that God was "blinding" people to the rose garden, in which case they'd never find either body. As was brought up earlier, all those graves and still no one notices? Not likely.
One more thing. Using Fenton to take the fall for Boothe's disappearance would explain why God didn't put Fenton on Adam's list earlier. One could debate the likelihood of God allowing six innocent people to be killed just so Boothe could be dispatched, but not here, unfortunately.:frowning:

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I have a question that I don't think anyone here has addressed yet ...
In the beginning of the movie, we see a phone conversation where Fenton calls Adam and frantically says there are "too many demons". Then he blasts himself with a pistol. Later, towards the end of the movie, we see Adam walk in behind Fenton and bash him with the pipe. Did I miss something? :confused:

david stark

Second Unit
I'm going to have to see this one again, I can't rememebr all the names properly (especially with adam pretending to be fenton or vice versa for most of the film). I would have missed this one, but saw it on a sneak preview.

One thing i did like it was the way the plot twisted, several films I've seen over the last few years seem to think plot twists make good films and try and cram as many in as possible. Here there was only really one twist and everything changed around that one twist. This is going from memory, i'll have to revisit it soon to have a refresh.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

Not really. The part where we see Fenton talking to Adam, then killing himself never happened. It was just a visualization of what Adam was describing to the agent. It's a standard storytelling device to show it to the audience so they don't become suspicious as the film goes on, as would've happened if it'd just been Adam telling the story. Other films where it's appeared: Suicide Kings(the kidnapping); The Usual Suspects(too many to mention)...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The part where we see Fenton talking to Adam, then killing himself never happened. It was just a visualization of what Adam was describing to the agent.
I agree with Andy. No more than a visualization of the story Adam tells the agent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks