What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
1917 dominated at the BAFTAs (won seven trophies), and all of the acting Oscar favorites also won there, so it seems this year's show may be anticlimactic unless the golden boy has a trick or two up his sleeve.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
1917 dominated at the BAFTAs (won seven trophies), and all of the acting Oscar favorites also won there, so it seems this year's show may be anticlimactic unless the golden boy has a trick or two up his sleeve.
To be fair, 1917 is a British film from a British director about British soldiers in a war that Britain ultimately won. It's pretty much laser targeted to BAFTA voters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To be fair, 1917 is a British film from a British director about British soldiers in a war that Britain ultimately won. It's pretty much laser targeted to BAFTA voters.
Yeah but it won TWO BP BAFTAS last night. Best British film and Best Picture overall. The former is laser targeted. The latter not so much I would say.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I’ve now seen all the nominated films for Best Picture. I would rank them as follows.

Parasite
Jo Jo Rabbit
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Marriage Story
Joker
Little Women
The Irishman
Ford vs Ferrari

Not a bad one in the bunch.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Yeah but it won TWO BP BAFTAS last night. Best British film and Best Picture overall. The former is laser targeted. The latter not so much I would say.

Since they re-instituted the Best British Film category in 1992, until last night only two films had won both that category and Best Film. The King's Speech and 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I am back from the Live Action Shorts. They were all very good, but my favorites were Nefta Football Club and My Neighbors' Window. The shorts were still pretty heavy but overall less depressing than last year's nominees.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This was my previous ranking but, it just got shaken up last night.

This is my current ranking of the BP nominees that I have seen:

1 (tie) - 1917, Jojo Rabbit
3 - Ford vs. Ferrari
4 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5 - Marriage Story
6 - Little Women
7 - Joker

I have finally seen "Parasite" as it is finally playing at my local AMC. I walked out of the theater blown away, and that is saying a lot for me because I struggle to enjoy foreign language films. It's not because I hate subtitles but, I've always been a slow reader and I've never been able to just glance at a sentence and understand it. So, I always feel like I miss most of the visuals of the movie because I'm having to concentrate on reading the subtitles so much. That was still an issue last night but, the story just took over and sucked me in, I was entranced by this tell.

Boy, if I was a voter, I would be very torn after seeing "Parasite". As much as I loved 1917, I had pretty much settled on "Jojo Rabbit" being my favorite BP nom this year. "Parasite" just threw a wrench into my thinking. I don't remember the last time I called a foreign language film my favorite film of the year, maybe never, but "Parasite" is giving "Knives Out" a run for it's money.

New BP noms ranking:

1 - Parasite
2 - Jojo Rabbit
3 - 1917
4 - Ford vs Ferrari
5 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6 - Marriage Story
7 - Little Women
8 - Joker

Still need to watch "The Irishman". I don't know why but, I have not been in the mood to tackle this yet.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Regal has been playing all the Best Picture nominees so I went and saw Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood yet again tonight. "What a picture. What a picture."
Not ALL the Best Picture Nominees. They won't show The Irishman or Marriage Story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not ALL the Best Picture Nominees. They won't show The Irishman or Marriage Story.
All of them? Or seven of them? ;)
Touche, fellas. :) I didn't even remember the Netflix movies (even though I loved both) but I guess that's what happens when I only really want to see Once Upon A Time win in its categories.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's looking more and more likely that 1917 is going to win several awards. If that is the case, I wonder if they will take a spread-the-love approach and give Once Upon a Time something like, say, Screenplay, while 1917 takes Picture and Director, or if 1917 will just suck all the air out of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks