What's new

Not getting good quality channels on HDTV... (1 Viewer)

Jeff*K

Agent
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is in the right place but if it isn't, mods please feel free to move it. Anyway my problem is that I bought a brand new 26" samsung widescreen HDTV for my bedroom which apparently has a build in tuner. I wasn't sure what that was so the guy at Best Buy says that I get clear, crisp HDTV quality on my local channels. I've gotten at best, a pretty clear channel but with the black lines and sometimes even distorted colors. On one of my local channels, the video quality is flat out terrible. I'm seeing lines and static everywhere and it's just very hard to watch. I have a $150 monster cable that I bought which I thought would resolve the problem but nothing yet. Moved into a new place so no cable tv yet. Any helpful replys are appreciated.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the HTF Jeff!

Do you know if your neighbors receive HDTV signals over the air?

A discussion on this topic from a couple of years ago is here: HDTV Reception

A neat site to find out how to aim your antenna towards the TV towers near you is here: AntennaWeb.org

This thread probably belongs in the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors) forum.

Jeff*K

Agent
I forgot to mention that I live in an apartment (11th floor) and I don't have an antenna. Maybe thats the problem? My problem is that even though I may not have HDTV on my local channels I at least want a decent picture. Heck, my living room non HDTV gets better reception on a couple of the channels then my new HDTV.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I suggest getting your cable company's HD service. For me, the cable HD service is infinitely better than trying to use an antenna. I live in a house and found it hard to get a signal sometimes with the antenna. I can only imagine that an apartment would be even tougher to get a signal in.

Good luck though:)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As long as your cable company carries the channel in HD and you have an HDTV, you'll get it in HD. There will be a specific cable channel for the HD channels (in other words, I have Fox on its 'normal' standard defintion channel but I also have a separate channel for Fox in HD).

By the way for the network channels, it's only the prime time stuff that is broadcast in HD so if you tune to a cartoon at 2:30 in the afternoon, it won't be in HD:)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Are you sure you are tuned to the correct stations? Go to the www.antennaweb.org and see on which channels the local stations broadcast HD. Usually, the HD stations are a -1 or .1 away from the standard def channels. For instance, my abc and cbs are channels 2 and 13. My HD's for those channels are 2-1 and 13-1. Most primetime broadcasts are in HD.

Oh, and get an antenna. Rabbit ears may suffice. Check antenna web.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You might want to check your owner's manual to see if it really has a built-in digital tuner (ATSC standard) and not just a regular analog (ntsc standard) one.

To the best of my knowledge the 26" widescreen Samsung only has an ntsc tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks