What's new

No pan and scan at my Blockbuster! (1 Viewer)

Colin-H

Second Unit
Number of pan & scan copies of A Beautiful Mind at my local Blockbuster: 0. I'm impressed.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'm jealous. I rented the film from a privately owned rental store here in my home town and didn't know that there was a full frame version until I got home and realized that I had rented it!

Travis D

Second Unit
My Blockbuster is Pro OAR all the way. The last title I remember there being PnS copies of was Harry Potter and even then it was split down the middle for widescreen and PnS. The last time before then was 2 ou of the 20 copies of American Pie 2 being full screen. I asked the manager why the switch and he said, "Well people really don't notice the difference and when they do, I just explain it to them and they get it. Plus I don't want people bitching about a streched picture when they all start buying widescreen tvs. The last thing I want to do is to have to rebuy all of these DVD's 3 years down the road." That is why Blockbuster is the "good witch" here in my town.

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Remember it would be a lot easier to have just one format avail for rent. If there was a PnS and OAR, then I know that some employees would be putting the wrong copy behind the display cases. Then they would have a lot more pissed off people complaining about how they wanted the Widescreen Version but got the Full Screen Version instead. So to make it easier, lets just stick with Widescreen Versions all the way around and there should be no problems.
DF
Makes sense to me :D :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Who invented P&S anyway and where are they now? All of the local BB's I ahev seen have been stocking both so they are slowly learning.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Yeah, find that snotty little bastard who invented Pan and Scan and embarass him. Make him run through the streets with no clothes on. Find the person who invented Letterbox and give him a prize!! He's our God now. LOL

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Weirdness.

My Blockbuster somehow SWAPPED all the Ocean's Eleven's they had in FS for WS somehow. How do I know I'm not seeing things? Because (a) I remember making fun of their O11 FS wall and (b) all the old FS copies are now in their previously viewed sale racks.

Weirdness.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
My mother-in-law is management with a BB a few hours away from here, and she says that her store has always had widescreen available even with dual-format releases. I guess that it varies from store to store. The matter of corporate-owned vs. franchised probably comes into play as well.

Brenton

Screenwriter
What bugs me most about pan and scan is that back before DVD was common to regular people, when it was just us Home Theater buffs who had it, we got widescreen because Home Theater buffs like widescreen. Now, all these regular people waltz into the DVD world, instead of them adapting to our widescreen ways, the DVD industry adapts DVDs to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks