Think Hollywood is giving Blockbuster enough competition?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

It's always nice when there's a balance.

VISA/MasterCard
    Nintendo/Sony/MS
    etc.
    It's that great free enterprise system keeping things in check.

Blockbuster seems like they're pretty much a monopoly on their market. They've been doing better with the WideScreen/PS thing, but still waivering, and that's why I still post this thread just for comment. Hollywood is nice -- I go there when I have to, but no one is beating Blockbuster's Rewards/Freedom Pass combination right now. I ramped up so many free games and DVD's last year that it probably doubled or more the paid ones. I'm even nearly willing to invest most my DVD/Game rental budget solely on BB's monthly deals (with the exception of some to buy a title here or there). The only thing holding me back is that sometimes they miss a few games here and there that I want, and the unsightly Pan&Scan only DVD's. But, if they even sink to 30% Pan&Scan only DVD's, I'll have no where to go to get the kind of deal I can get there.

Anyway, since it seems Mom and Pop stores are all but gone in my area, it's up to Hollywood to step up to the bat. To do that, I think they're going to need some competitive rewards/freedom-pass ideas of their own. Aside from the "Guarenteed in Stock" thing, which is nice, I don't even see them trying.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well i thought you were referring to hollywood CA. not the store.

anyway not here in delaware county pa we have many blockbusters but only very few, maybe only 2 HOLLYWOOD VIDEO STORES.

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

In my area Hollywood is doing better than Blockbuster with the P+S/WS issue, but that's about it.

And with Blockbuster honoring Hollywood's coupons, and giving free 7-day rentals with every new DVD purchase, it's quickly replacing Best Buy as my one-stop Tuesday shopping place.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    My Blockbuster only carries Pan & Scan when their are two versions available.
    My Hollywood only carries Widescreen when both versions are available.
    This equals Hollywood gets my business and and Blockbuster can go to hell. [​IMG]