What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

NO MORE "scandal-gate' (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm really sick & tired of all of the Media using the suffix "gate" to indicate a scandal. How about earning your pay Guys by coming up with a new term! Hmmm?? :P

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Watergate is the biggest political scandal we have ever had in our country and because of that "gate" will always be synonymous with scandal. I doubt that will ever change.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, a lot of the more serious sections of the British newa media put a ban on the use of the suffix many years ago. However, it still crops up and I think we've got to accept it's here to stay.

Over the centuries, people will forget the original cause of the suffix in the same way that nobody now wonders why so many phrases have 'Jack' in them (apart from the obvious, there's Jack of all trades, Jack Frost, etc, etc). That was the result of a fad for using 'Jack' to denote any sort of male character (a bit like 'the man in the street' or 'Joe Public' today).

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Mark me down as someone who's annoyed beyond belief on the use of that term. Makes most things sound stupid and loses some of the seriousness of the topic.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Personally, I'd love to see an end to all forms of slang and nicknames.

The existing language has perfectly good words to use for communicating. We don't need to make up new ones. And people and events have names...use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks