What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Emerald Forest (take 2) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Boorman's The Emerald Forest is a beautiful film from 1985 shot by Philippe Rousselot. It was re-mastered about ten years ago, and released by Kino, but without the bit rate that it really demanded.

Now, Kino is re-issuing the film with an audio commentary, but the reason, presuming you appreciate the film, is that the bitrate is doubled, and the results can be seen on screen.

Back a decade ago, there were occasional bits of dirt, which interestingly remain. That dirt may have been caused by the negative being printed for a few 70mm blow-ups.

Image – 8

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 1

Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This was interesting - it will look better projected than the previous disc.

Reactions: PMF

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Are you sure the audio is 5.1?
From what I remember, they said it would be stereo.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yes, to The Emerald Forest.

As it is, I’ll support Kino’s higher bit-rate releases where double-dipping seems warranted to my title specific interests. As for The Emerald Forest, I luckily do not have this title in any format, so I’ll have a solid gain on this purchase.

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The old disc was 2.0. Same master, so I don't doubt that the new one is 2.0 as well.

I haven't ordered this one yet, but I have both the reauthored THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY and JUGGERNAUT, and the higher bitrates do make a difference. Not a dramatic one, but it's there. Kino is to be commended for adding value to these reissues that use the old masters: higher bitrates, slipcovers, and sometimes new commentary tracks. They're not screwing around with the bitrates, either -- the two that I have hold close to a rock-steady 40mpbs from beginning to end, with only fleeting variances. They're wringing everything that they can out of the old masters.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I think the film deserves a complete remaster. It's always looked "dodgy" on every home media format I've watched it on and, while the I thought the Kino disc looks good, it still looks like a dated master (which it is). A fresh scan would remedy this but it all depends on the source, needless to say. Maybe it isn't worth remastering? I may double dip just for that slipcover on one of Kino's many future sales.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I just popped the old disc in and yes, it's 2.0 mono. Don't have the new disc to compare it to, though.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
The previous disc had some passages that were grainy as hell, and it didn't look to me like film grain at all. I hope this has been improved.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The previous disc had some passages that were grainy as hell, and it didn't look to me like film grain at all. I hope this has been improved.
It's the same master, so if it wasn't noise from a bad encode, it'll still be there.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Yes, to The Emerald Forest.

As it is, I’ll support Kino’s higher bit-rate releases where double-dipping seems warranted to my title specific interests. As for The Emerald Forest, I luckily do not have this title in any format, so I’ll have a solid gain on this purchase.

It'll take something more important than a higher bitrate for me to double dip. I always thought this needed a fresh scan and it deserves one. No more double dips for pretty cardboard for me.

Reactions: PMF

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Yep. I just watched it last night with subtitles

Attachments

• IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks