What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's not like Brees didn't have shots to get a couple of passing TDs, his receivers just let him down this particular game. If you were rooting for the Falcons, last night's game was torturous to watch because the Falcons weren't doing anything for 6 straight series in the middle of the game once they got their lead. Matt Ryan still doesn't look much more than a game manager type of QB. Roddy White wasn't catching anything thrown near him at all. If it wasn't for the defense (and terrible clock management in the waning seconds of the first half), the Falcon fall to the Saints twice this season.
Tom Brady now has the current passing TD/game streak record at 43 games.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
It's not like Brees didn't have shots to get a couple of passing TDs, his receivers just let him down this particular game. If you were rooting for the Falcons, last night's game was torturous to watch because the Falcons weren't doing anything for 6 straight series in the middle of the game once they got their lead. Matt Ryan still doesn't look much more than a game manager type of QB. Roddy White wasn't catching anything thrown near him at all. If it wasn't for the defense (and terrible clock management in the waning seconds of the first half), the Falcon fall to the Saints twice this season.
Tom Brady now has the current passing TD/game streak record at 43 games.
I only watched the first half, but I did see some horrible clock management by the Saints at the end of the first half that cost them some points. I was also surprised at how easily the Falcons ran the ball on that first series. I guess that's why New Orleans is ranked last in rushing defense. :laugh:
Yes, Brady is within reach of the record. The way the Pats offense runs, he should have an excellent chance of getting it next season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Horrific news out of Kansas City regarding the Jovan Belcher murder/suicide. It is tragic in so many ways. I was mildly surprised the game wasn't postponed for a day, but it was nice to see the Chiefs persevere and get a win under such difficult circumstances.
Andrew Luck is definitely the real deal, and the Lions are definitely not a good team. Detroit has been finding ways to lose games my entire life. My wife got mad at me again today as I sat there laughing hysterically as the Colts scored with no time left to beat the hapless Lions.
I only saw the stats line, but that had to be one of the ugliest QB performances ever by two teams in the Jets - Cardinals game. The fans in attendance should be entitled to a full refund for that crap-fest.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I made a comment that I doubt the NFL head-coaching handbook had anything to deal with the Belcher situation. Just a tragic ending all around.
Luck was really impressive and composed for that game-winning drive today.
The Pats win another AFC East title. Can they get past either the Ravens or the Texans in the play-offs this year?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Patrick Sun said:
The Pats win another AFC East title. Can they get past either the Ravens or the Texans in the play-offs this year?
Patrick,
I've been asking myself this question for about eight weeks. I believe that it will depend greatly on seeding. They are currently the number two seed given that they, the Broncos, and the Ravens have identical 9-3 records and due the the Patriots having the best conference record at the moment. The Patriots still have a legitimate shot at being the no. 1 seed in the AFC, but to get that they will have to run the table. This is something that they've been rather good at doing the past few years. I read some statistic recently which had New England at around either 20-0 or 21-0 in games played in the second half of the last three regular seasons. But with consecutive games against the Texans and 49ers, it won't be easy to accomplish this year. The Texans certainly have the clearest, and arguably the easiest, path to the number one seed in the AFC at the moment.
I think 13-3 gets the number one seed for some team in the AFC (I don't think 12-4 is going to get it done). If the Patriots and Texans both finish 13-3 (or if the Patriots, Texans, and Ravens all finish 13-3), the Patriots would get the number one seed. The Ravens have a tough schedule remaining (they play RG3 on the road, both Mannings at home, and the playoff-seeking Bengals on the road), and the Texans play at New England next Monday night, the Vikings, and the Indianapolis Lucks twice in the final four weeks. The game between the Broncos and the Ravens in Baltimore could have huge playoff implications for those two teams as well as New England.
Scott,
What a great win for Pittsburgh. Even if the Steelers had lost yesterday, I would not have counted them out, because I think 10-6 could still have gotten them in the playoffs.
Moral of the game: You can always count on Charlie Batch to throw a touchdown pass at least once every twenty-seven months. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Patrick,
I've been asking myself this question for about eight weeks. I believe that it will depend greatly on seeding. They are currently the number two seed given that they, the Broncos, and the Ravens have identical 9-3 records and due the the Patriots having the best conference record at the moment. The Patriots still have a legitimate shot at being the no. 1 seed in the AFC, but to get that they will have to run the table. This is something that they've been rather good at doing the past few years. I read some statistic recently which had New England at around either 20-0 or 21-0 in games played in the second half of the last three regular seasons. But with consecutive games against the Texans and 49ers, it won't be easy to accomplish this year. The Texans certainly have the clearest, and arguably the easiest, path to the number one seed in the AFC at the moment.
I think 13-3 gets the number one seed for some team in the AFC (I don't think 12-4 is going to get it done). If the Patriots and Texans both finish 13-3 (or if the Patriots, Texans, and Ravens all finish 13-3), the Patriots would get the number one seed. The Ravens have a tough schedule remaining (they play RG3 on the road, both Mannings at home, and the playoff-seeking Bengals on the road), and the Texans play at New England next Monday night, the Vikings, and the Indianapolis Lucks twice in the final four weeks. The game between the Broncos and the Ravens in Baltimore could have huge playoff implications for those two teams as well as New England.
Scott,
What a great win for Pittsburgh. Even if the Steelers had lost yesterday, I would not have counted them out, because I think 10-6 could still have gotten them in the playoffs.
Moral of the game: You can always count on Charlie Batch to throw a touchdown pass at least once every twenty-seven months. ;)
I was pleasantly shocked that the Steelers beat the Ravens yesterday, especially with the mistakes they made. If Big Ben comes back next week, I do like their chances on making the playoffs. However, the injury bug continues to bite -- cornerback Ike Taylor went down with a serious ankle injury yesterday. Pittsburgh just cannot get healthy.
I think the Patriots biggest roadblock to the Super Bowl in the AFC is the Broncos. Baltimore doesn't impress me. Houston, even as well as they have played in the regular season, are still unproven in the playoffs. Denver, meanwhile, has the always dangerous Peyton Manning to contend with. It could be another Brady versus Manning matchup -- gee, we've never seen that before. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Kevin Hewell said:
Is no one taking the Falcons seriously?
There is no powerhouse in the NFC, so the Falcons have as good a chance of making the Super Bowl as Green Bay, Chicago or San Fran. The Giants have shown they can never be counted out, too. Atlanta is unproven in the playoffs, though, which is why they are getting no respect. That conference race is wide open, IMO.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny Angell,
I'm so sorry to hear of this. I hope you'll be okay, and will somehow be able to get over this.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-12-06/san-diego-chargers-coach-norv-turner-gm-aj-smith-fire-dean-spanos
;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With the Texans/Patriots game...if the Texans win...convincingly or not...they are the undisputed favorite to take it all.
But I have faith the Texans will falter. AFC championship game...Broncos/Pats. Superbowl winner to be one of them...unless it is Giants/Pats...then maybe Brady will dress in a tutu again...
And you know the NFL is chompin' at the bit(pun, oh so intended) for a Colts visit the Broncos...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Scott Merryfield said:
That's the good news. The bad news -- Andy Reid may replace Turner. :)
Lets see...replace one coach who's teams have had lots of talent that he's squandered with another coach whose ...well you get it. If the chargers pick Reid, it'll be another example of settling for less then winning it all.
When they hired Marty it was like saying "win us a bunch of regular season games. It's ok if you suck in the post season". When they hired Norv it was like saying "you've got a proven record of mediocrity as a head coach, good enough for us." Reid is more of the same thing.
Has anyone read about he NFL getting rid of the kickoff? They would instead give the kicking team a 4th and 15. The team would have the choice of punting or trying for a first down and keeping the ball.
I like the idea. It would add a lot of excitement to the last five minutes of games when a team is trying to make a comeback. For those complaining about the loss of the excitement of the kickoff, the new kickoff rules have already removed a lot of the excitement.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Has anyone read about he NFL getting rid of the kickoff? They would instead give the kicking team a 4th and 15. The team would have the choice of punting or trying for a first down and keeping the ball."
Johnny,
I have read about it, and I don't like it for a lot of reasons.
One question: If the team chooses to go for it on 4th and 15 and gets the first down and eventually a field goal or a touchdown, could this cycle continue (assuming no punt and continuing to get the first down and then a field goal or a touchdown) so that the other team never got the ball? Or would there be another rule to preclude this from happening?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know the answer to your question. I understand tha the idea behind it is to eliminate the kickoff. I suppose they could prohibit consecutive atempts at a first down, but why? If a teams defense can't prevent a first down on 4th and 15, maybe they don't deserve the ball. No wait...that would sure screw the chargers. Teams with a top notch QB would have an advantage.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Not sure how I feel about the proposed new kickoff rule. It certainly is different. With the kickoff moved back to the 35 yard line and all the commercial breaks, I skip watching the kickoff quite often now anyway.
The Steelers sure laid an egg today. I guess if the Chargers can finally win in Pittsburgh, there is hope for the Lions tonight in Green Bay... naw.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
The Steelers sure laid an egg today. I guess if the Chargers can finally win in Pittsburgh, there is hope for the Lions tonight in Green Bay... naw.
Yeah, thank heavens Ben Roethlisberger was back. :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The chargers had never won in the regular season in Pitt and this was the least likely SD team to do it. Go figure.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Johnny Angell said:
The chargers had never won in the regular season in Pitt and this was the least likely SD team to do it. Go figure.
Yep, that is what I was referring to, Johnny. The Lions, meanwhile, extended their futility in Green Bay to 22 straight years with another loss last night. Their last win in Green Bay was BF -- Before Favre. Detroit has also never won in Washington, D.C. -- I think the streak is now 0-19.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks