What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was one heck of a win for the Steelers today. Although they're in the AFC and are competing with three or four teams for the best record in the conference, I was really pleased to see them hold on and defeat the Giants in New York. Good for them. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
That was one heck of a win for the Steelers today. Although they're in the AFC and are competing with three or four teams for the best record in the conference, I was really pleased to see them hold on and defeat the Giants in New York. Good for them. :)
Yes, that was a fine performance, especially considering how the Steelers are so banged up. Their defense really stepped up to stop Eli and the passing game.
After watching the entire Detroit - Jacksonville game, I can confidently state that the Jags are horrible. They have no offense, especially with Jones-Drew out. To top it off, we had to listen to Mike Martz do the color commentary, too. He mumbles so you cannot hear him half the time, and the other half when you do hear what he says, you wish he'd mumble even more often.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the rest of the Falcons' schedule (for another 8-0 run), not sure if they can beat the Saints twice, or get past the Giants, plus, I don't know how they'd fare against Chicago, Green Bay or San Francisco to make it through post-season. So, it's nice they're 8-0 now, but I can't say I'm truly excited about their Super Bowl chances.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Falcons have benefited from a pretty easy first-half schedule, too. While they should win their division, they need to prove they can win in the playoffs.
That sound you heard last night was the judge's gavel pronouncing sentence on Andy Reid. He is now officially Dead Man Walking. The Eagles run defense is terrible. When was the last time you saw the Saints run all over a team instead of relying on Drew Brees' arm?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Last night, the Eagles made one of the most generous defenses in the league look like the 2000 Ravens defense. Either Vick can't pick up blitzes, or the offensive coordinator for the Eagles needs to do something with that line. Those repeated breakdowns during the Eagles' second-half possessions were quite difficult to watch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Any Cowboys fans out there? You're doomed -- Jerry Jones says he'll always be the GM. The article states that Dallas won 3 Super Bowls with him as GM. Sorry, but Jimmy Johnson gets credit for those championships in my mind (even the Barry Switzer one) -- not Jones. It's been 15 years since that last title, and the Cowboys have won exactly one playoff game since.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I'm about as far from a Vick fan as you can get, but The Eagles problems are not Vicks' fault. A QB with the best traits of Elway, Favre, Montana, and Otto Graham could not function behind that line.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
More like The Walking Dead!

I fell asleep during the 2nd half, and missed the rest of the game. And good thing, too, because it just get worse for the Eagles. A part of me wants them to tank the rest of the season, but that will prove very difficult in their next game against the Cowboys.

While I'll always consider the Giants to be the Eagles' main rival, I can somewhat understand why some people here in Philly consider the Cowboys to be their main rival, mainly due to the annoying Cowboy fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Once again, the Lions failed to show up until the fourth quarter. This happens way too often, and is a sign that the team is not being well-prepared by the coaching staff. Since beginning last season 5-0, they are 9-12, including their playoff loss. The team is getting worse, not better.
The '72 Dolphins can once again celebrate, as there are no more undefeated teams. I do not think anyone expected the Falcons to go 16-0 anyway.
The officials failed to stop the clock while measuring for a first down in the San Fran - St. Louis game, and over a minute of game time was lost. I cannot understand how the officials never corrected this error. That is inexcusable.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
The officials failed to stop the clock while measuring for a first down in the San Fran - St. Louis game, and over a minute of game time was lost. I cannot understand how the officials never corrected this error. That is inexcusable.
Scott,
I agree. I've been calling for the replacement refs to come back for quite some time now. :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
How many times did the Rams win that game yesterday -- two or three? That late flag was ... way too late.
A tie. I wonder how many NFL players like ties? Probably not too many.
BTW, yesterday at church I told my minister (he's a huge Steelers fan -- his father actually played on the 1950s Steelers!) that Pittsburgh had a bye this weekend. He looked confused, and told me that he thought that they had already had their bye week. Then I told them that the Steelers were playing Kansas City. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
And the Chiefs lead during regulation for the first time this season! It's 7-0 Kansas City.
Well, that lead didn't last long. ;)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Did anyone see the late, dirty, helmet to helmet hit the Houston linebacker put on Jay Cutler last night? The league is so worried about concussions, and they let this type of thing go on with just a penalty flag and a fine. What BS!! The ONLY WAY these dirty hits will stop is if the rule includes an ejection from the game, and suspend the player.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I did not watch last night's game, but I have read and been told that the officiating was some of the worst. Also, looks like Big Ben is out for next week's game against the Ravens...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
ChristopherG said:
I did not watch last night's game, but I have read and been told that the officiating was some of the worst.  Also, looks like Big Ben is out for next week's game against the Ravens...
It had nothing to do with the officiating. The linebacker was flagged for unnecesary roughness, but big deal. Cutler was knocked out of the game with a concussion, which is what Houston wanted. I'm saying the rule has to be changed if they want to stop these dirty helmet to helmet hits. It should also include an immediate ejection, at least 1 game suspension, and of course the fine.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ChristopherG said:
I did not watch last night's game, but I have read and been told that the officiating was some of the worst.  Also, looks like Big Ben is out for next week's game against the Ravens...
Without Ben, the Steelers playoff hopes are gone.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Without Ben, the Steelers playoff hopes are gone.
I know. Wanting New England to have a better AFC record than the Ravens (since we lost the head-to-head game by one point earlier in the season), I was counting on a Pittsburgh win this weekend. Ugh.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc /t/323322/nfl-2012-season-discussion-thread/90#post_4000987
It had nothing to do with the officiating. The linebacker was flagged for unnecesary roughness, but big deal. Cutler was knocked out of the game with a concussion, which is what Houston wanted. I'm saying the rule has to be changed if they want to stop these dirty helmet to helmet hits. It should also include an immediate ejection, at least 1 game suspension, and of course the fine.
I was talking about the Steelers/Bengals game....

Users who are viewing this thread