What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was terrible to watch Matt Ryan set some weird NFL record with 5 INTs and no TDs and yet still mushing out a win over the Cardinals and their own hapless passing attack.
The Pats lose Gronk for 4-6 weeks due to a forearm fracture. Good thing Hernandez is on-deck to come back next week. Edelman was on fire. Luck was pressing a lot after giving up turnovers to the Pats defense.
RG3 had a big day, perfect QB rating, not bad for a rookie QB. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
First, the Lions had Bobby Ross, who failed basic math and went for two points when he shouldn't have. Next, there was Marty Mornhinweg, who took the wind in overtime. Now comes Jim Schwartz, whose failure to understand the replay review rules cost his team a touchdown, and probably a victory.
My theory is there is a virus that runs through the organization -- let's call it the Lions Incompetence virus. William Clay Ford is the originator of the virus, similar to Dracula and the vampire virus. Ford infects all who enter the Lions organization with his incompetence. Instead of biting his victims on the neck, ala Dracula, he infects them through his special brand of 30 year old scotch.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The Chargers' failure to stop the Ravens on 4th and 29 is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. I can only imagine what Johnny Angel is thinking.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Really don't understand the turn of events in the 4th quarter of the Raiders game.
I understand the quick whistle should result in the Bengals keeping the ball but why were they given the choice of taking the yardage of play or the down over?
Shouldn't their only option have been to take the ball where it was when the whistle ended the play?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Needless to say, I was rooting for the Chargers yesterday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/51621/turner-watches-another-unbelievable-collapse

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It was painful watching the Steelers offense yesterday. They need to address the backup QB position in the offseason. Charlie Batch is a nice guy, but he has no arm strength left, and Leftwich isn't much better. Between Batch's interceptions, his deep throws falling 20 yards short, and every running back on the roster fumbling, I cannot believe they still had a chance to win that game. I never thought I would see a game with four different running backs from the same team all fumbling the ball.
I feel for Johnny. The Chargers are the only team that comes close to the Lions for constantly finding new and creative ways to lose football games.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I really hope that the Steelers (with Ben at the helm) can somehow defeat the Ravens in Baltimore next week.
From my perspective, and at this point in the NFL season, I don't see how anyone can dethrone the Giants. I see them repeating this year, but of course I won't mind being wrong.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
It was painful watching the Steelers offense yesterday.
It was painful watching the Steelers, period. I think they proved they have many more issues than simply who will play quarterback. None of the backs could hold on to the ball and the defense couldn't stop a 20+ yard run up the middle for the winning score. Very bad, far beyond simply the QB issues.
The Chargers allowing the 4th and 29 with a short pass and long run-after-catch was one of the biggest "c'mon man" moments of the weekend, though Jim Schwartz torpedoing his own team by throwing an illegal challenge flag is right up there.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's so good to be thought of in my time of bereavement. :)
I can tell you what I was thinking when it was 4th and 29. Despite the fact that the defense had played well, I was thinking "now they've (the Ravens) got us where they want us." Really, I was pessimistic that the chargers would stop them. Not just this season or last, but for decades, I swear the chargers always have the worst defense for 3rd or 4th and long. The same for when we have the other team pinned inside their own 10. The other team usually gets out of the jam.
Once they made that first down, it was over. The refs should have called the coaches to midfield and said "come on guys, you know the bolts are going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Do we really have to continue? Let's call it a day and I'll buy the first round."
Once again, they suck in the second half.
The only question of interest left to their season is whether Smith will be fired along with Turner. I hope so. Smith is the guy who kept jerking Vincent Jackson along for years without giving him a long term contract. Think we could use him this season or Daren Sproles? Two key offensive players we lost and we've got no one like them on the team.
The announcers mentioned yesterday the chargers haven't beaten a team that is currently above .500. I'm not sure they could win in the SEC.
Hey, Ryan Mathews ran well and he didn't fumble and Rivers didn't throw an exception. We're on a roll.:D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnny Angell said:
It's so good to be thought of in my time of bereavement. :)
I can tell you what I was thinking when it was 4th and 29. Despite the fact that the defense had played well, I was thinking "now they've (the Ravens) got us where they want us." Really, I was pessimistic that the chargers would stop them. Not just this season or last, but for decades, I swear the chargers always have the worst defense for 3rd or 4th and long. The same for when we have the other team pinned inside their own 10. The other team usually gets out of the jam.
Once they made that first down, it was over. The refs should have called the coaches to midfield and said "come on guys, you know the bolts are going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Do we really have to continue? Let's call it a day and I'll buy the first round."
Once again, they suck in the second half.
The only question of interest left to their season is whether Smith will be fired along with Turner. I hope so. Smith is the guy who kept jerking Vincent Jackson along for years without giving him a long term contract. Think we could use him this season or Daren Sproles? Two key offensive players we lost and we've got no one like them on the team.
The announcers mentioned yesterday the chargers haven't beaten a team that is currently above .500. I'm not sure they could win in the SEC.
Hey, Ryan Mathews ran well and he didn't fumble and Rivers didn't throw an exception. We're on a roll.:D
Hew now...even the Cardinals could beat an SEC team...

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny Angell said:
IHey, Ryan Mathews ran well and he didn't fumble and Rivers didn't throw an exception. We're on a roll.:D
An exception...an exception? Damn auto-correct. :) The charger exception would be a win.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny,
Well, 51–10 at Balboa Stadium.. That's all I have to say. ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm glad I'm a Colts fan...and secondarily a Manning fan...then, thirdly, a "former Colts player fan"
I just wish Saturday could get some help...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny Angell said:
Yeah, if i had that on DVD, I'd cue that up on Sundays.
Johnny,
And despite my team having lost, I'd watch it with you. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
schan1269 said:
I'm glad I'm a Colts fan...and secondarily a Manning fan...then, thirdly, a "former Colts player fan"
I just wish Saturday could get some help...
Schan,
I liked the Baltimore Colts back in the day. My all-time favorite quarterback is Johnny Unitas. I loved watching him play. He gave me some of my most fond football memories back in the day.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ockeghem said:
Johnny,
And despite my team having lost, I'd watch it with you. ;)
And that must be the last time we beat the Pats when the game counted. If I had known that game would have to last me a lifetime, I'd have burned it into my brain.
Ockeghem said:
Schan,
I liked the Baltimore Colts back in the day. My all-time favorite quarterback is Johnny Unitas. I loved watching him play. He gave me some of my most fond football memories back in the day.
Before there were the chargers, before the AFL, there was Johnny U and "The Greatest Game Ever Played." I remember watching that game on a small b&w tv. I was far to young to appreciate what I was watching.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny,
Those are some good memories there! I watched that game on ESPN several months ago when they were featuring it as one of their specials. :)
You might remember these former players from the Buffalo Bills. As I am a huge fan of the AFL, I receive periodic Emails on a variety of subjects related to the league. Here is one such Email I received today.
Hello, American Football League Fans and former players:
I'm sorry to inform you that two former Buffalo Bills have passed away, Ernie Warlick, tight end on the 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship teams, passed on November 24th, and Joe Kulbacki, an original Bill, died just yesterday.
Please read about Ernie at http://bit.ly/erniewarlick
Regards,
Ange Coniglio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks