Next-Gen Magazine is dead.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Uuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! I really liked this magazine! [​IMG]
    -Andre F

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Shit!

Well, now I'm in a pissy mood. NextGen is (er..was) the only US gaming publication worth reading. I was a subscriber since issue #2. Now what am I going to do?

I can at least hope the IGN websites will fall along with it.

(love the magazine...hate the websites -go figure)

4. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Man that sucks! First Dremacast Magazine drops the playable demo's, then Total Movie and now my all time favorite magazine NextGen folds. Plus a hole list of web sites I read regularly like FGN.com have folded. I am not subscribing to any more magazines.
    Randy[​IMG]

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Jeebus, I just subscribed to Next-Gen last week!

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It was a great magazine. RIP [​IMG]
    Guess all that's going to be left is EGM and GamePro(shivver)

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Well...this is almost a year since Imagine closed down DailyRadar, the greatest game website ever! Now they are taking away the greatest gaming mag ever. I just got my renewal notice in the mail today too, mine ran out in February. This makes me very sad. All this leaves is EGM for me now...might have to subscribe to GameInformer now, need my game mag fixes.

And I for one hope IGN stays on the net...where else will we get up to date game info? But I do hope the IGNInsider bullshit ends...it is driving me nuts that all the good stories I have to pay for at first, but wait a week or so and they are free, what the shit is that?

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

The reports state that their upcoming issue will be their last.
    This truly sucks...[​IMG] I'm gonna miss it...
    Especially with Gamepro preaching to the kiddies, & EGM sliding down in quality lately.
    And don't get me started on the "official" mags...[​IMG]
    Calvin

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Next Gen was the ONLY Game mag geared towards adults with its well written stories and sleek design. They covered PC games too and were BRUTAL in their reviews, which is what made them great. Hell, they even told the world the Xbox existed a YEAR before Microsoft made it public, while other mags ridiculed them for publishing baseless rumors..even though their "rumors" were almost dead on from the beginning.

12. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm going to borrow from our good friend Matthew Chmiel[rant]Mother Fucker[/rant]

The only magazine with console coverage that was worth the money. The only one that wasn't trumped by online coverage. The only one with quality reporting and a nice style. Gone.

13. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I'm gonna miss next gen. obviosuly they were by far the best (and only non insulting) AMERICAN gaming mag.
    Having said that, EDGE from the UK is AMAZING. Each one is laid out cleanly and beautifully, and the writing is extremely mature (Edge is to Next Gen as NY Times is to USA Today; i'm gonna lump the "normal" gamepros and EGMs with the enquirer and the sun0)
    It's pricey, but worth it. Look for it at an Intl. magazine dealer or order online (http://www.edge-online.com/default1.asp).
    And I vote you import instead of hoping for an american version; i'm sure the america advertisers would probably insist on dumbing it down.

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Sigh.

This is complete and utter crap. For a few months there I was buying Next-Gen, T3, Total Movie and the occasional PC Gamer and was thinking that Imagine was the bomb. Now I have no T3, no original Total Movie, no Daily Radar, and now my beloved NG is gone too (I can't even remember which issue of PCG I bought last).

While NG hasn't been quite as stellar in the last little while, it was still 10x better than any of the other dreck out there.

But 115,000? Youch, I'm not sure what it was at before, or what other mags are at, but I can't imagine (no pun intended) that was paying the bills. It needed a spot on the rack next to some other grown up zines, instead it was playing with the kiddie mags on the bottom shelf next to Teen Beat.

Sigh.

Who's next?

Maybe I'll hunt down a copy of Edge somewhere, but I'm not sure I need to be reading any more about the upcoming XBox and Gamecube launch.

I'm lost.

15. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

This is sad, but Game Informer isn't all that bad, atleast compared to EGM and GamePreschool.....But I think the reasoning behind NG going down is Imagine wants to get more specific, as in having the Offical Xbox Mag., PC Gamer(which if it dies, will mark the end of all gaming mags), etc. Truely a sad day though. But Edge would be foolish not to try and bring out something here the market has a huge hole now that needs to be filled.

Anyone want to guess how much Imagine paid for the Offical Xbox Magazine??? I heard it was way more than anyone else, actually it was put to me that they are banking their entire gaming department on it.

17. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

What can I say that hasn't already been said ... wait, I know ... DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Next Gen. That was the only video game magazine I had actually subscribed to. The reviews were dead-on, and the Q and A section was great, especially when one of the writters made a mistake and they tortured them for it in some way, shape or form. Good stuff. ADULT stuff. This magazine was written for US, not like Game Pro, which I haven't looked at in YEARS. Man ... I wonder who's going to fold next ...

Freddy C.

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

19. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Damn...that sucks.
    I have a subscription to Next-Gen too! [​IMG]
    If you can get past certain things in GamePro, its actually a pretty good magazine for game reviews, I think.

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer