What's new

Next-Gen Magazine is dead. (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Shit!

Well, now I'm in a pissy mood. NextGen is (er..was) the only US gaming publication worth reading. I was a subscriber since issue #2. Now what am I going to do?

I can at least hope the IGN websites will fall along with it.

(love the magazine...hate the websites -go figure)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Man that sucks! First Dremacast Magazine drops the playable demo's, then Total Movie and now my all time favorite magazine NextGen folds. Plus a hole list of web sites I read regularly like FGN.com have folded. I am not subscribing to any more magazines.
Randy:angry:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I can at least hope the IGN websites will fall along with it
Unfortunately, the two are completely seperate from what I know. Snowball (who operate IGN) aren't Imagine.

Now, who was it that was saying everything's hunky dory in the game world right now?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It was a great magazine. RIP :frowning:
Guess all that's going to be left is EGM and GamePro(shivver)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well...this is almost a year since Imagine closed down DailyRadar, the greatest game website ever! Now they are taking away the greatest gaming mag ever. I just got my renewal notice in the mail today too, mine ran out in February. This makes me very sad. All this leaves is EGM for me now...might have to subscribe to GameInformer now, need my game mag fixes.

And I for one hope IGN stays on the net...where else will we get up to date game info? But I do hope the IGNInsider bullshit ends...it is driving me nuts that all the good stories I have to pay for at first, but wait a week or so and they are free, what the shit is that?

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
The reports state that their upcoming issue will be their last.
This truly sucks...:frowning: I'm gonna miss it...
Especially with Gamepro preaching to the kiddies, & EGM sliding down in quality lately.
And don't get me started on the "official" mags...:angry:
Calvin

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Next Gen was the ONLY Game mag geared towards adults with its well written stories and sleek design. They covered PC games too and were BRUTAL in their reviews, which is what made them great. Hell, they even told the world the Xbox existed a YEAR before Microsoft made it public, while other mags ridiculed them for publishing baseless rumors..even though their "rumors" were almost dead on from the beginning.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to borrow from our good friend Matthew Chmiel[rant]Mother Fucker[/rant]

The only magazine with console coverage that was worth the money. The only one that wasn't trumped by online coverage. The only one with quality reporting and a nice style. Gone.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
I'm gonna miss next gen. obviosuly they were by far the best (and only non insulting) AMERICAN gaming mag.
Having said that, EDGE from the UK is AMAZING. Each one is laid out cleanly and beautifully, and the writing is extremely mature (Edge is to Next Gen as NY Times is to USA Today; i'm gonna lump the "normal" gamepros and EGMs with the enquirer and the sun0)
It's pricey, but worth it. Look for it at an Intl. magazine dealer or order online (http://www.edge-online.com/default1.asp).
And I vote you import instead of hoping for an american version; i'm sure the america advertisers would probably insist on dumbing it down.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Sigh.

This is complete and utter crap. For a few months there I was buying Next-Gen, T3, Total Movie and the occasional PC Gamer and was thinking that Imagine was the bomb. Now I have no T3, no original Total Movie, no Daily Radar, and now my beloved NG is gone too (I can't even remember which issue of PCG I bought last).

While NG hasn't been quite as stellar in the last little while, it was still 10x better than any of the other dreck out there.

But 115,000? Youch, I'm not sure what it was at before, or what other mags are at, but I can't imagine (no pun intended) that was paying the bills. It needed a spot on the rack next to some other grown up zines, instead it was playing with the kiddie mags on the bottom shelf next to Teen Beat.

Sigh.

Who's next?

Maybe I'll hunt down a copy of Edge somewhere, but I'm not sure I need to be reading any more about the upcoming XBox and Gamecube launch.

I'm lost.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Guess all that's going to be left is EGM and GamePro(shivver)
I second your opinion of the latter. GamePro is a complete waste of paper and ink. It's hard to think that a stellar mag like NG could go under, while tripe like GamePro could continue unabated (as far as I know)...

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
This is sad, but Game Informer isn't all that bad, atleast compared to EGM and GamePreschool.....But I think the reasoning behind NG going down is Imagine wants to get more specific, as in having the Offical Xbox Mag., PC Gamer(which if it dies, will mark the end of all gaming mags), etc. Truely a sad day though. But Edge would be foolish not to try and bring out something here the market has a huge hole now that needs to be filled.

Anyone want to guess how much Imagine paid for the Offical Xbox Magazine??? I heard it was way more than anyone else, actually it was put to me that they are banking their entire gaming department on it.

Frederick

Second Unit
What can I say that hasn't already been said ... wait, I know ... DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Next Gen. That was the only video game magazine I had actually subscribed to. The reviews were dead-on, and the Q and A section was great, especially when one of the writters made a mistake and they tortured them for it in some way, shape or form. Good stuff. ADULT stuff. This magazine was written for US, not like Game Pro, which I haven't looked at in YEARS. Man ... I wonder who's going to fold next ...

Freddy C.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Next Gen was the ONLY Game mag geared towards adults with its well written stories and sleek design. They covered PC games too and were BRUTAL in their reviews
Exactly.

There's certainly a market for an Edge or NextGen magazine. If I remember correctly, EGM tried to do a mature spin-off right after Next Generation launched.

What do we need to do to get the guys over at Edge to offer reasonable subscription fees to us Yanks?

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Damn...that sucks.
I have a subscription to Next-Gen too! :frowning:
If you can get past certain things in GamePro, its actually a pretty good magazine for game reviews, I think.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
What do we need to do to get the guys over at Edge to offer reasonable subscription fees to us Yanks?
Enough sales for them to bulk export it to the US - at the moment individual issues get airmailed over seperately rather than one big box of them for distribution directly in the US. That's why it costs so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks