What's new

newbie speaker question (1 Viewer)

TimZ

Agent
I have an Onkyo SKS-HT510 6.1 set ( got it for $180 at a frys deal and i had an earlier set of these and for the price they are great. ) with an extra back surround that i ordered. IT says that the Maximum input power is 100w. If i got a receiver that was 110 or 120w per channel would that blow the speakers? because i am still trying to decide on my receiver and i have a couple in mind.

Or would it just blow them if i turned the volume up to much? becuase i could turn the volume all the way up on my old Pioneer 811s ( 100 w per channel ) and no distortion and nothing would happen but that was at its max 100 watts. so i am just wondering. would that extra 10 or 20w do damage?

Thanks
Tim

TimZ

Agent
thanks. :) because i wanted this 1 receiver more than the others but i was afraid of blowing the speakers up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Tim, two things I'd like to mention. First, be sure to set the surrounds to "small" (all 6 should be small, but the back 3 for sure) with the crossover set to 80 or higher. And two, turn the volume down before shutting your receiver off. Turning on the receiver with the volume set to high may damage any/all speakers. The initial shock to the speakers can be more harmfull than too much power during normal listening.

TimZ

Agent
i was gonna do that anyways and with the sub i was gonna set the crossover to 100. :)

thanks everyone i love this forum everyons is so helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks