What's new

Newbie here (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Hi Everyone!!
Man am i excited to be here.. i joined the list a few days ago and have been going through the vast amount of technical stuff that is there to soak in :) Amazing forum i must say!!! I fell in love with home theatres just a few months back and its the new found love i have after motorcycles.
I have set up my componenets as below
Yamaha HTR 5640 reciever-6.1 reciever with 75 watts per channel output,0.06%THD
Polk Audio RM6700 series speakers(125 watts per channel)
and PolkPSW 303 sub-100 watt 8 inch subwoofer
Sony Playstation2
Sanyo 25 inch tv(need to upgrade this)
Monster cables for all the connections.

Would love to hear everyones comments on the system, im intending to buy another center channel to complete the 6.1 settings,though in the current set of movies i have only LOTR special editions have 6.1 encoding.The list of movies i have:
LOTR- Fellowship and Two Towers(special edition)
Star Wars Episode 1
Fast and Furious
Triple X
Indian Jones 3 disc collectors edition
Ice Age
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Shrek
Easy Rider
Biker Boyz
Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer(special editions)
Analyse This
Pirates Of Carrebian
Gladiator
The Bachelor
The Mummy Series-collectors editions
Discovery DVD on Greatest Motorcycles ever built
Rocky 1,2 & 4

I just love the Pod race sequence from star wars on the theater and it blows everyone away!! These set of Polk speakers are great and i also got lot of misconceptions about Bose cleared from the forum(thanks for the same!!) and even managed to persuade another friend from wasting money in Bose and he bought the same system i have over the weekend..
Well i hope that will suffice for an intro here and i hope you guys can tell me whether its worth going in for the extra rear center channel or not.. also i have the low pass setting on my sub but i dont find that much difference in the base when i change it..
Cheers!
Daman

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi daman -

welcome to the forum! nice gear!

it sounds like you're question is whether or not the rear-center channel is worth it or not? tbh, i'm not really sure. i don't believe there is a lot of true 6.1 material out here ... i know there are a few, but not a whole lot.

i have the yamaha 5590, but haven't hooked up my rear's yet - so i haven't played with 6.1 myself yet. if you can get another center channel for your rear, then i definitely suggest you go for it and see for yourself.

i assume your sub has a adjustable x-over? if so, set it to it's highest point (definitely above 80hz), then use the volume control to set it to balance/compliment your other speakers.

hope that helps some ... if not just ask away!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Daman.
I'm pretty sure that there is a thread in software that has a listing--you can do a search. I don’t have a rear center and don’t expect that I’ll add one. But some people really like the addition.

Daman

Second Unit
Hey Thanks a lot for replying guys!!Lew,will check out the thread you mentioned in Software section about 6.1 listing.
Yes Tedd i do have adjustable crossover.. currently ive set it midway at 90hz and it can go upto 120hz.. so what do you recommend? Shall i keep it at 90 or turn all the way up? Also do suggest some of your favourite movies which are good for surround sound.. im really looking fwd to the Star Wars Original Trioligy due the end of this year and also the return of the king :)
Cheers!
Daman

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm still kinda unclear with subs and how they're optimally setup. maybe lew can chime back in.

but...from what i was told, i should crank the sub's x-over all the way (in my case around 120) over. then use the volume knob to get it balanced with the rest of my speakers. the blend and performance sounds right to me -- so i think i'm doing it right.

for good demo selections, check out this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=108204

Daman

Second Unit
great.. seems to me that Toy Story 2 and star wars ep 2 are the most popular in demos.. will surely check the movies out this weekend :) man im excited.. thanks a ton for posting the link ted.
cheers!
Daman

John S

Senior HTF Member
6.1 / 7.1 has benefits for way more than just DTS 6.1 descreet. DD EX, DTS matrix will reveal benefits as well as DTS NEO:6 for 2 channel sources.

Daman

Second Unit
Oh .. i get what you are saying.. so maybe i need to buy an extra rear center from CC and see how its like.. if there aint much difference i can return it within a month :) and if there is,ill let you all know :D
Also thanks for the cross over info Ted.. i adjusted my crossover to 130-140 hz yesterday and it does sound better.. max setting is 160hz and not 120 hz which i mentioned in the previous post.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Daman,

Yes, you should try it for sure.

Experment with DTS Neo:6 if you have it, for your two channel surround format.

Try to use DD DVD's your way familure with, with EX processing turned on for them.

I think you will end up keeping the rear center in place.

Give it a good amount of eval time, after it settles in for you, I am sure the benefits will be revealed.

Daman

Second Unit
Yes John i have DTS Neo 6 on the system, will give it a try as you said then,will surely share my exp with you all after im thru evaluating it.Thanks again :)
Daman

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to add my 2 cents in........for a really good system workout....I recommend U-571.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks