What's new

New Subwoofer for System which will be Upgraded (1 Viewer)

Cody:S

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody Smedsrud
Ok, here is the situation: I need to get my father a subwoofer that is in the $200-250 range. His current setup is comprised of Yamaha HTR-5930 receiver, two large MTX floorstanding speakers and a MTX center channel. There are no rear speakers as the room is very small.

Eventually, he is going to build a proper home theater in the basement. At that time he will get a 5.1/6.1/7.1 speaker set and probably a new receiver. However, the sub that I get him will be transferred to the basement system when it is assembled. I want to get him something that will work well with his current setup but also work well in the much larger basement room when it is finished.

Considering the meager budget of $200-250 what would you suggest getting? Is it better to opt for a higher quality 10inch or a lower quality 12inch (keeping in mind the sound of the rooms)? I would greatly appreciate specific model reccomendations. I've looked online and around town, but the local Best Buy doesn't have much to listen to, so I'm counting on those with more experienced ears to make a good recommendation.

I have no idea what the budget for the eventual surround sound set in the basement will be.

Thanks in advance.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would go with the H-100. Another good option is the Cadence X-Sub, but from what I've read the H-100 is a little better. I own the H-100 but haven't heard the X-Sub.

I will say that most people say "good" bass starts around $400 with the SVS PB-10 and the Mirage S12.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks