What's new

New Sony ES receivers and separates! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I spoke to Jim Oade of Oade Bros. today looking for pricing and availability of the Sony STR-DA3ES and 'DA5ES receivers. He said that the 'DA3ES is available for $525 + $30 shipping. The 'DA5ES is not in stock, and Jim said he has heard that it is on the way out. However, he is hoping to obtain one more shipment. His price would be $750 plus shipping.
The interesting and surprising part of the conversation was that Jim related some very basic information on new ES receivers and separates that he obtained from his Sony sales rep. recently. Here is what I found out about new models (very preliminary):
Receivers
* STR-DA1ES: This model will supposedly replace the 'DB1070. Thus, there will not be a new 'DB' receiver.
* STR-DA2ES: This model will replace the 'DA3ES but will supposedly offer 6.1 decoding.
* STR-DA4ES: This model will replace the 'DA5ES.
* STR-DA7ES: This model will supposedly be Sony's first true "flagship" receiver. Jim was told it will retail for around $2500.
Separates
* TA-E10ES: This model will replace the 'E9000ES.
* TA-N10ES: This model will replace the 'N9000ES and will be a 6.1-channel power amp.
Jim said that some of the receivers will offer 7.1 decoding, but he wasn't specific. He made it clear to me that he only had limited information on these models. He is hoping to have spec. sheets in the next couple of weeks. Also, he is expecting the receivers to be available soon. He said that Sony has delayed the separates a couple of times. Supposedly, they will be available in October. Stay tuned!
As an aside, I can't get over how confusing Sony makes matters with its model numbers. Newer models have smaller model numbers than older models!

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Thanks for the info Keith. good job:emoji_thumbsup:It would be nice if we can Upgrade our 5ES with Component UP conversion if it becomes available! THIS would be totally worth it!

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Yeah thanks for the update Keith. I'm sure now you'll wait to see these new models if the repair shop issues you a refund for you '444ES. Should be interesting to see. I have feeling that Crutchfield will have the new receivers up on their website pretty soon now.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny,

I just checked Sony Japan's web site, and no new models are up yet. Good suggestion, however. It could be that this web site will have the new receivers and separates up first.

Greg,

At this point, I am in no hurry to buy a new receiver, assuming the 'V444ES is toast. However, if Sony does take awhile in returning a verdict on the 'V444ES, I might not be able to get the 'DA3ES or 'DA5ES. In that case, I hope the new models will be at least as good as those models. If the new models turn out to be downers, I'd like to have the option of getting a 'DA3ES or 'DA5ES.

Angelo,

One would certainly hope that Sony will offer upgrades for the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES. If it doesn't, then why include an RS-232 port? That's one way to alienate consumers.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Keith,

Any idea what the target pricing may be for the TA-E10ES?
What happened to your V444es btw that can't seem to be fixed?

Gil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gil, I did not ask Jim Oade if he had retail prices for the separates. As I said, his information was limited.

My 'V444ES was damaged in a lightning storm over Memorial Day weekend. It now goes into PROTECTOR mode upon start-up. I started a thread about it (search for "PROTECTOR"). I brought the receiver to a local repair shop that is authorized to fix Sony equipment, but they couldn't figure out what exactly is wrong. All they could determine was that something is wrong with the power amp section. The repair shop has sent the receiver to Sony. Now I wait to see what Sony will do with it.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There have been rumors about the TA-E10ES for over a year now. I have heard that it will come out in 2003. I have also heard that it was cancelled. All I know, is that even with my anti-Sony sentiment :), that competition for Outlaw and Rotel in the "reasonably priced" pre/pro catagory would be welcome.
Here's where I've found some info on it, got to look around though:
Link Removed

etsoi

Grip
WOW, I was going to buy the DA5ES next week for sure, now I am shooting for the 7ES if it comes out, anyone have some spec of the new receivers? Thank you guys O and around when will they go onsale?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Etsoi, you'll have to wait a couple of weeks before seeing the specs on the 7ES, and then who knows when Sony will actually releases all these new receciers. But the good news might be since they have started to slowing discontinue all the current models we might actually see the models faster than I thought.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the August 2002 issue of What Hi*Fi? (UK) last night. In it is an article highlighting some new Sony products for the UK market. Two new receivers are mentioned. One is the STR-DB780 (£299), which will be a 5.1-channel receiver. What Hi*Fi? says the 'DB780 is "a £299 model in Sony's QS range -- includes Dolby Pro-Logic II and uses new capacitors developed in-house." So, although Jim Oade said that according to his Sony sales rep., the 'DA1ES will be replace the 'DB1070, perhaps a new DB receiver is in the works for the US market. In the past, the same DB models have been offered in the US and UK.

The second receiver mentioned is the STR-VA333ES (£799), which is said to be "a 7.1 Dolby Digital/DTS extended surround sound receiver with a new DSP chip and Sony's proprietary Digital Cinema Sound system." It is said that this model will be available in August. So, I would bet we will see a US version of the 'VA333ES for around $1200 USD retail in the late summer or early fall. Perhaps it will be the 'DA2ES or 'DA4ES.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Seems like Sony is about to release a slew of new receivers all of a sudden. August/September might be a very big month for Sony.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Yeah Crutchfield always seems be on top of everything with them always having new equipment up on their site before anybody else. Crutchfield too me is one of the best sites for checking out specs and for very large closeup pics. I wish other sites would provide pictures the way Crutchfield does. They just now need to add a mailing list so they can notify us by email when they have new stuff in instead of us having to check their site out daily.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
I'm anxious to see how the specs for the 7ES stacks up against the 777ES. 6.1 is an obvious improvment but will the DACs be better? If so this could be a very good piece indeed. :)

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked the Crutchfield site. They have "Price break" by the STR-DA3ES and 5ES. If you enter your first name you will find that the STR-DA3ES is now $699 and 5ES is now $999. Not as cheap as Oade, but for now, still available.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hey, anyone know when the next major Home Theater/stereo (equipment) convention is? Maybe some announcements there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks