What's new

Seeking Expert Opinions - Home Theater Speakers (1 Viewer)

jashtonmoss

Auditioning
I am remodeling my family room home theater system to include a HD 3D projector with110" projection screen with alternative viewing on LED flat screen. I am seeking to upgrade my 10 yr old Energy speakers to a new state of the art sound system. Receiver: Sony STR DA2800 ES 7.1 surroundRoom Size: 17' x 13'' - 9' ceilingPrimary Viewing from back wall to screen(s) and center channel - 13'5.1 surround configuration. Optimal theater experience using premium bookshelf type speakers for front main - i do not want floor standing as I am limited by floor space due to built on cabinetry. . Rear: Wall Mount on either side of sofa - approx 2' from sofa on both sides at head level. Sofa backs up to wall. Center Channel: Below LED TV & Screen when lowered. Approx 14' from primary seating area. Subwoofer: Retain use of powered Energy, rear placement in corner with possible addition of second powered sub against wall in opposite rear corner? Seek to gain full balanced sound.New replacement sub to replace Energy sub that best integrate with advised speaker system upgrade? Sub placement must be in rear of room. What would be my optimal choices for a truly spectacular theater sound experience with clear definition and separation? Budget not a major concern. Seeking high quality, jaw dropping rich audio experience over brand name that works well with Sony receiver mentioned above (100 Watts per Channel)Note: would prefer to use 7.1 surround configuration but may be limited to 5.1 due to room/furniture configuration. Understand sound is personal preference but want a nudge in right direction from experts. I am not overly impressed by big box store offering. Any help and guidance appreciated.

SaferSeller

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
That Sony receiver has nice "ES" power, but I would recomend efficient sourrounds as the SS outputs clip with unefficient speakers like KEF, so if you are open to mixing, I like the Klipsh for your SS The KEF for Center and the Mag's for the wall - bonus: lots of floor space and better dispertion as well as a power matched system!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't mix 'n match your speakers. Have no idea where "KEF is inefficient" or the surround sound amps are any more susceptible to clipping than the rest of the AVR, comes from.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum jashtonmoss :)

Personally, if I had the coin, Revel bookshelf speakers are the level I would be looking at. If thats the level you're at then I would seriously reconsider your sub choice at the same time. If your speaker budget is truly "not a major concern" and at the same time you want speakers to go with your Energy sub well....that's tantamount to requesting $49 passenger tires on your shiny new Porsche 911. Keep in mind that speakers are only part of the equation and, in my opinion, your subwoofer makes the difference between an epic and a meh audio experience. The meh experience can be experienced in any standard commercial movie theater and the epic experience can be experienced in any well equipped home theater. Home theater audio is about power and frequency response, its about a tactile experience (sans butt kickers) and its about faithful reproduction as intended by the director.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
jashtonmoss said:
I am remodeling my family room home theater system to include a HD 3D projector with110" projection screen with alternative viewing on LED flat screen. I am seeking to upgrade my 10 yr old Energy speakers to a new state of the art sound system. Receiver: Sony STR DA2800 ES 7.1 surroundRoom Size: 17' x 13'' - 9' ceilingPrimary Viewing from back wall to screen(s) and center channel - 13'5.1 surround configuration. Optimal theater experience using premium bookshelf type speakers for front main - i do not want floor standing as I am limited by floor space due to built on cabinetry. . Rear: Wall Mount on either side of sofa - approx 2' from sofa on both sides at head level. Sofa backs up to wall. Center Channel: Below LED TV & Screen when lowered. Approx 14' from primary seating area. Subwoofer: Retain use of powered Energy, rear placement in corner with possible addition of second powered sub against wall in opposite rear corner? Seek to gain full balanced sound.New replacement sub to replace Energy sub that best integrate with advised speaker system upgrade? Sub placement must be in rear of room. What would be my optimal choices for a truly spectacular theater sound experience with clear definition and separation? Budget not a major concern. Seeking high quality, jaw dropping rich audio experience over brand name that works well with Sony receiver mentioned above (100 Watts per Channel)Note: would prefer to use 7.1 surround configuration but may be limited to 5.1 due to room/furniture configuration. Understand sound is personal preference but want a nudge in right direction from experts. I am not overly impressed by big box store offering. Any help and guidance appreciated.
I have a 11.1 channel speaker setup powered by two Denon amps and Jamo speakers. My room is 15 by 15 feet. All of the speakers have been wall mounted except the one sub. I sit on my sofa directly facing the centre channel speaker. It is hidden behind a 9 by 5 foot DaLite AudioVision "acoustically transparent" screen mounted on a 8 inch deep wooden frame. All of the speakers are placed just one foot above head level at the optimal height recommended by Jamo and Denon. Left, Centre, Right, Surround Mains, Surround Backs, Surround Additional Mains, Surround Wides plus one SW. Near corner placement of single 15" SW and boominess avoided by using BGC input on SW. Total cost of 12 speakers by Jamo exceeding roughly 5 lake rupees only. Review of Jamo D7 PTX/PEX speaker system can be found on Google. The amps are one Denon 3 series and one Denon 4 series, total costing around 3 lakh rupees only. Heard by various people around town and comparable to professional systems only in their views. RMS is 140 into 11 speakers of satellites, and RMS of SW is 400 at 20 Hz. Total weight of all speakers is around 150 kilos. I listen to music in 6 channels using the DTS NEO:6 MUSIC mode of the AVRs. Sound is completely effortless, fluid, tonal, musical, dynamic, shocking, warm at times, cold on others, on different tracks, and completely 3 dimensional with pinpoint accuracy and sound staging. Most movies are watched in DTS HD Master Audio if the BD provides it. The system was professionally installed by experts and further automatically/manually calibrated via the Audyssey functions of the AVRs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks