New Samsung DVD player with DVI output?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ToddJ, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

2. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Todd,
    There is a long thread on it over at AVS. Needless to say it's not getting positive reviews. I do like the look of it but I wasn't impressed with the PQ at all. This was Shrek via DVI to a Samsung DLP.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Todd,
    There is a long thread on it over at AVS. Needless to say it's not getting positive reviews. I do like the look of it but I wasn't impressed with the PQ at all. This was Shrek via DVI to a Samsung DLP.

5. Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr Stunt Coordinator

I bought one from Costco 2 weeks ago. I just tried to hook it up last night using the DVI output and cannot get it to display a picture unless I use something other than the DVI output. I connected it to a BenQ PE8700 projector. I have tried everything including reviewing the tips at the CC site reviewers comments. Tomorrow it goes back to the store. I posted a thread on the S&V Video forum.

By the way. The price has dropped. Costco was $99. Someone posted that they saw it @ CC for $99.98 on the S&V forum

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i owned this one for a while. it's actually a pretty good unit imo. it has the dcdi chip, which is a nice plus. i had mine hooked up to a mits 65" rptv. the pic quality is slightly better then progressive. you had to look for it, but it was there -- with a slightly brighter picture, as well as smoother jaggies.

you are aware that this is an old model though...right? the latest ones (850 & 950) have hdmi outputs.

edit - cancel that comment about the dcdi chip...i just double-checked and it's the 941 that has it.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Check out the original date of this post - it's nearly a year old, now. [​IMG]