What's new

Satellite receiver out to Samsung 61" 1080p HDTV? (1 Viewer)

zak

Grip
I just purchased the new Samsung HL-R6168W 1080p HDTV.
The TV has two HDMI inputs but no DVI inputs.

I need to purchase a new HD satellite receiver but the Motorola DSR505 only has the following video connections:

-Digital Video Interface (DVI)
-YPbPr Component Output
-S-Video
-RCA composite video
-Coaxial cable

Should I run a DVI to HDMI cable from the Motorola and use up one of my two HDMI connections or should I use Component or S-video instead leaving the HDMI free for future hardware.

One HDMI connection has already been reserved for future HDMI DVD player.

Will component or S-video connection from Satellite receiver look as nice on the Samsung as a DVI to HDMI connection?

Thanks,
Zak

John S

Senior HTF Member
Component carries HD, svideo only carries NTSC, and not so good NTSC compared to component at that.

So no svideo, you have to actually try both component video and DVI/HDMi and see which is better or just plain note the difference to see which way is best to run.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
use DVI

Have your cable box out put everything at 1080i.

Regards

gregg

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If HDMI gives you a better picture than component, use one of the HDMI inputs. Theoretically HDMI can do everything DVI can do, and more.

Also, compare the quality of 720p shows converted by the cable box to 1080i versus sent as 720p to the TV.

Does your TV accept 1080p? If not you will never see all of the advantages of 1080p even though the display is 1080p. Unless your TV is one of the very few with advanced 1080i to 1080p conversion.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks