DVI trouble with Oppo to Samsung DLP

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Derek R, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Derek R

Derek R Auditioning

It appears as though I'm having trouble getting a video signal from my Oppo DVD to a Samsung HLR5067 DLP. The other video outputs work fine but when I hook up the DVI from the Oppo to the HDMI on the Samsung I get nothing. Not even the initial blue Oppo screen. I've been on the phone with techs from both and we still can't get it fixed. I've tried new cables and a new Oppo player. Please give me any suggestions you may have? Thanks in advance. BTW, Oppo has been great to work with. Very responsive and professional.

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    The simple question is do other DVI souces work properly with you Samsung? If yes the answer is likely there is something wrong or incompatible with your Oppo. If no, then obviously the problem is with your display.

Chris

3. Derek R

Derek R Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. That was going to be my next step. I thought I'd find out if someone else has had the same issue first. I planned on purchasing another DVD player and trying it. Do you have any suggestions on a comparable player for

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I don't know if this is your case but...some TV's inputs have to be activated. So check your manual and/or menu to see if this is the case with your Samsung.

5. Derek R

Derek R Auditioning

Thanks for your reply Reginald. I will check into that a little closer. I don't remember seeing it before and the service tech I spoke to on the phone never mentioned it. I'll do some more research on it.

Thanks again...

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    I don't know anything about your display but if it is very old, it might not be HDCP compliant. Some displays with DVI inputs predate HDCP. The Oppo DV971H does require an HDCP compliant display but I thought that would only be for upscaling to 720p and 1080i and you should get the menus but I haven't read about the issue and some non HDCP displays may have problems.

Chris

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It does not. I have this player hooked up to a LCD that does not support HDCP. I'm running it in 720p mode.

8. Derek R

Derek R Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Christopher_G. My display is new. I just purchased it a couple months ago. It has an HDMI input. It sounds like I need to hook up another video source to my display through the HDMI and see if it works. I will post the results. Thanks again...

9. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Of course you are right, it is one of the few that doesn't require an HDCP display. It is the upcoming HDMI player that will have to be HDCP compliant.

His display is compliant in any event.

Chris