What's new

New Home theatre -wiring (1 Viewer)

CaptHanky

Auditioning
Real Name
Lawrence Benson
I just purchased a Harman Kardon CP 55 home theater which is composed of a standard 5.1 speaker set, HK AVR 146, and an HK DVD 38 upscaled DVD player. I have also pruchased a Samsung LN46A650 LCD TV. My cable company provides an Explorer 8300HD.

It has been years since I have looked at this stuff. The last time I bought a stereo/TV half the connection on these things did not exist. I am trying to find the most efficient way of connecting all my devices, I also will have my laptop hooked up via HDMI/DVI. My Harman Kardon receiver (AVR 146) manual says it acts as a HDMI switch but does not process sound so I need to hooked that up separately. I do plan on hooking up game consoles in the future.

Here are the links to the quick start guides so you can see the input/outputs...

Actually, because I do not have ten posts I am not allowed to post the links :frowning:

To summarize:

Harman Kardon AVR 146 - Receiver
Harmon Kardon DVD 38 - DVD Player
Samsung LN46A650 - LCD TV
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD - Cable box

I have or can buy any of the cables necessary to set this system up for the best performance. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Video:Cable box and DVD player to receiver via HDMI, receiver to TV via HDMI. Laptop direct to TV via DVI/HDMI (use second HDMI in on TV).

Audio: Digital coax or optical from cable box and DVD to receiver. Assign digital input to the proper HDMI connection on receiver. Make sure cable box and DVD are set for digital output (i.e turn DD and or DTS to "on"). Analog 3.5mm to L/R RCA from laptop to receiver and/or TV for computer audio.

CaptHanky

Auditioning
Real Name
Lawrence Benson
For the audio do you suggest one connection type over another (digital coaxial vs. Optical)? There is a six connection audio input on the receiver (AVR 146) what is name for this type of connection/wire?

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
If you don't already have the cables, you can save a lot of money by buying them online at Monoprice. They are great quality and cost a quarter of what similar cables cost in the big box stores, especially for HDMI cables. CNET.com uses monoprice HDMI cables for their professional reviews of tv's, so they will work fine for your needs as well.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

From your manual:
"6-Channel Inputs: Connect the multichannel analog audio outputs
of a DVD-Audio, SACD™, Blu-ray Disc™ or HD-DVD™ player (or any
other external decoder) to these jacks to enjoy these proprietary formats."

You don't have any of these players so you won't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
princesstoadstool
Recent bookmarks