What's new

Samsung BD-P1200/BenQ 8700+ Compatibility Problem (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Donovan
I just picked up the new Samsung BD-P1200, and after hooking it up to my BenQ 8700+ using both HDMI and Component, I've found that component works just fine up to 1080i, but HDMI gives me '525p' output to the 8700 that is nothing but a wavy, distorted picture, and provides no way to change any display setting in HDMI.

I am using an HDMI-DVI adapter that works correctly with my Toshiba HD-A1, running through a Gefen 2 input DVI switch.

I've tried running the HDMI directly to the PJ with no difference in the distorted picture. I also tried the player on my upstairs HD CRT TV with an HDMI input, and it synced up properly with a perfect picture at 1080i and 720p.

Once I was able to set the player to HDMI 720p output, using my CRT, I reconnected the player to my 8700+, and it had a proper 720p picture for about a second before resetting itself back to '525p' and the crappy distorted picture.

From my 'playing around', I've determined that it's not the player, the HDMI cable, the HDMI/DVI adapter, the Gefen DVI switch, or the projector. The only thing I can think of is that in the HDMI handshaking, the Samsung is ignoring it's own resolution setting, and automatically trying to resync with the 'best' resolution of the BenQ, which it doesn't handle well at all.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?? I hate to try and take this back, as I've trashed the box it came in, but to me, it is defective, as it doesn't properly deal with HDMI/DVI which the manual states it does, and I want the HDMI for DVD upconversion.

AV chain: Samsung BD-P1200 HDMI --> HDMI/DVI adapter --> Gefen 2 port DVI switch --> BenQ 8700+ DLP projector (native 720p)

Thanks,

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Did you bypass the gefen and go straight into the 8700?

I also use the 8700+ but with the bdp1000 unit. all component though as my wiring is for component. It all goes component to the Lumagen scaler which converts everything to 720p.

Regards

Real Name
Donovan

Sorry about that, I did forget to mention that I tried a direct connection to the 8700+ with the same unhappy results.

After an hour on the phone with Samsung Canada support, and to be fair, they were trying to be honestly helpful, the best they could come up with is that the bdp1200 isn't (currently) compatible with the 8700+ through HDMI/DVI and it's always possible that a firmware update could solve the problem.

I have no problem using the component connections, but I'd like the HDMI to work, as the DVD upscaling is said to be superb with the 1200, and I'm not prepared to get a new projector after only 2 years with the 8700+.

It seems to be related to the handshaking process, with the player automatically setting resolutions based on the handshake info, but it would be nice to be able to override that somehow, which probably would settle my display issues.

Real Name
Donovan
One other thought. Is it possible that the 8700+ doesn't actually give out any resolution info (or bad res info) during the handshake, so it can't reconcile a resolution from builtin list of HDMI resolutions?? Perhaps the bd-p1200 is only working with what it's given, and behaving badly because of it. Still, I just don't understand why the player would ignore the resolution set internally; it would be nice if I could lock the resolution output of the player, so it doesn't try to reset each time it starts up or lock out resolutions because the display doesn't tell it about them.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I guess I will try my 1000 with HDMI/DVI when I get the replacement unit from Samsung this week.

Plug it into my Lumagen and see what happens.

Regards

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
The problem you are having I believe is an old problem that is not limited to the Samsung Player you are using. I have the BenQ PE8700+ as well. Your problem sounds almost identical to what I experienced with my Samsung HD950. The only exception is I would also get a picture flicker that seemed like it was timed. It was as if you batted your eyes (screen would go black) an extra half second. All this was with the HDMI connection. The component outputs worked fine. I finally moved my piece of crap Samsung into the bedroom and replaced it with a Sony DVP995CX. HDMI worked fine with the Sony. Samsung gives alot of features for the money, but it left me feeling that's what I get for going cheap. Good luck, I gave up on Samsung.

Real Name
Donovan
OK, one last thought, and I'll let this thing die the slow painful death it deserves. This is for someone who KNOWS the answer. Would one of the newer HDMI switches(Monoprice, Gefen, etc.) work to convince the Sammy that the various resolutions are supported? In other words, would the switch act as a stopper in the middle of the hdmi chain, and do the handshaking there, or is it a true pass through device, and let the handshaking happen with the 8700+ ?? Note, this is a questions about HDMI switches, and not a (much more expensive) video processor.

Thanks again,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks