What's new

New RP HDTV buying help (1 Viewer)

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a 32 inch Sony TV because of WAF. But when I finally got her in Ultimate electronics last night (first time ever in a electronics store in our 6 1/2 year marriage)she told me to get an HDTV because she liked the picture more then the Sony! Well I have about a $2000 budget. Which is more then what she gave me before. :D I have a few I picked out but if I could get help narrowing down it would help me out alot. We sit about 7ft away so this is what I came up with.
JVC AV48WP30
Samsung HCL4715W
Toshiba 50H72
Sony KP-46WT500
Panasonic PT-53WX42 or PT-40LC12 (seen this one for about 2400 bucks)
This forum has been really great! I joined in November and it has been a God send ever since!

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Jan,

I only want a widescreen rptv. So there is no need to look at any 4:3 debates. I have the new sony that will go in the bedroom once I get the rptv.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
KevinFC,

Then the Toshiba 50H72 is out...it's 4:3. You'd be considering the 50H82, which is 16:9.

From your list, I'd personally choose either the Tosh or the Panasonic. They both have their pros and cons. The Tosh has better build quality (reportedly) and better OOTB color fidelity, and it's about 6" shallower (which sounds like a good factor to keep in mind with your viewing distance). The Panasonic is sharper but will probably need more tweaking to get the best color possible.

Hitachi and Pioneer also get high marks from this forum.

But there are plenty of happy Samsung and Sony owners here, so you'll get a wide range of opinions.

I own last year's Tosh, a 42H81, and love it, but it's by no means the only good RPTV out there.

Jan

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Jan,

Thx for the correction.:b I was going off of memory on the model and swore it was the 72 but ur right it is the 82.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
What about the Mitsu WS-A48? What this be a good one or should I look at Hitachi 43" or 51"?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kevin,

If you're not the TV tweaking type, you might consider adding ISF calibration to your budget.

At 7' viewing distance, you might also consider the smaller 47" Panny and hire an ISF guy w/ the remainder $$$ (or buy a new DVD player or whatever else). Even if you get the 53" Panny, you might still be able to pay for ISF if you shop around or haggle a bit for the TV.

_Man_

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Man

I just got a new 7 disc JVC dvd player, and I cant wait to see the progressive picture on the rptv. It looks great just regular on the 32" sony. I will look at the 47" pany or the 43" hitachi so I can get the calibration done. Hopefully when the time comes I can find a good one in Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks