Best online prices for 16x9 Toshiba 50" HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I found out that my Sears carries the brand and I will defiantly buy through Sears, knowing that the stores are everywhere if I mover and the service will be ok. So now all I have to do is find the best price Anywhere so I can price match Sears and bring home my new 50" 16x9 RP HDTV!!
    Thanks for all your help!!
    All Cnet.com offers is Crazyeddie.com for the cheapest, but I was wondering if there is a better price out there? Thanks!!!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

The Crazy Eddy price is right in the ballpark for lowest advertised price. Some places may offer a little lower if you call them and haggle, but it won't be advertised and you won;t find that price on a website to print out and take to Sears.
    FYI, I don't know if all Sears storea will match Crazy Eddie. Supposedly, Sears is now only matching authorized dealers and I'm not sure that Crazy Eddie is an authorized dealer. But that may vary from store to store, I heard different things from different places.
    ------------------
    Dan

3. Grady Hollums

Dan:
    When did they start doing that? I took a price for a digital camera to them here in Lexington about a month ago and the sales guy just looked at the print out (I think it was e-cost, but not sure) and just charged me that much.
    Now, of course, the Digital camera is not as much as the Toshiba, but I hope that I can bring them down on price a little. Crazy Eddie will get me at around $400 off the Sears price, and that will allow me to purchase a much better service plan, and keep all the benefits of have a Sears store where ever I might move to in 3 years.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

there is now a list of retailers sears will pricematch... do a search either here or at sears .com...
    YMMV, but the sears degault list seems pretty worthless.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Grady,
    There are stories going around in several forums about problems and successes with the Sears price matching policy. It seems to be pretty much hit or miss. There is a list of authorized on-line dealers that Sears salepeople are supposed to check, but it seems that some either don't know or don't care about that list. If you recall, there was a lot of confusion when Sears first started on-line price matching and I think this is just a continuation of that.
    Keep in mind that these are stories and I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of them. However, there is some consistency, so I suspect that Sears is starting to restrict who they will price match with. My recommendation would be to get the deal done as soon as possible. If one Sears won't give you the best match, call around until you find one that will and then make the purchase right away, because they may not do it next week.

6. Grady Hollums

OK. I have been to my local HT stores and online at all the sears "established Online Retailers" and I am still wondering what I would like to do after Christmas this year.
    I love the Toshiba and the 50" 16x9 is GREAT, but still it is $500 more than the 47" Panasonic! There really is no place locally that I can compare the Toshiba with the Panny with calibrated sets and a progressive scan input. They either have HDNET set up on noncalabrated screens or they have calibrated screens only on cable or nonprogressive scan DVD players! It is killing me! Well, to any of you that could decide between these two what would you do if in my situation? the Toshiba 50" for $500 more and will probably have to get mid to late next year or the Panasonic 47" early next year?
    Thanks for all the help and input so far, God bless!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

7. Mike PM

Mike PM Auditioning

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, take a look at this site:
    http://www.spectravox.com/toshiba50h81.html
    Less than $2100. delivered.
    Think about it myself but keep getting cold feet about dealing with an E-tailer.

8. Grady Hollums

Thanks Mike, but I went ahead and bought the 50HX81 from ecost.
    I wanted the HX (cinema) series and not the H (theaterwide)series any way, but I really appreciate your help and assistance. I love the HTF!!!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

9. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

.....I wanted the HX (cinema) series and not the H (theaterwide)series any way....
    I am curious, what is the difference between the HX and the H series? I saw the H at Sears yesterday and it looked great.
    Nick

10. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I am getting mine this sunday from sears with a price match. Total with shipping nad tax is 2040.( it is good to have a friend who works in the tv dept. and can guarantee any pricematch). go to pricescan.com for a good list of prices. Xtremeshopper.com has it for 1874 i think. that what i using a my price match.

11. aeveritt

aeveritt Agent

I'm scared to ask what a "nad tax" is.... [​IMG]

12. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

as crazy eddy appears to be sketchy as hell, I would reccomend onecall.com
    First purchase from them was a dvd player, but then I ordered a Tosh 40H80 from them a couple weeks ago.
    It got here in about 4 days, worked perfect- and cheap as hell to boot.
    I know others have had good onecall experiences here as well.

13. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

nad tax= after I give Sears $2000 and file for chapter 11 my wife will kick me in the nads!
    [​IMG]
    nad =(sorry spelling error, kind of fired up I am geting an hdtv)

14. Grady Hollums

I love the 50HX81. I haven't even been on the net for the last few days, because I have been watching!!!
    It is just flat out AMAZING!!!
    I love it I love it I love it!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

15. JoshWB

JoshWB Extra

I know that you guys are in love with the Toshiba, but I have to tell you a story. I bought the Toshiba widescreen with their HD box, and got it home and it was not what I expected. My neighbor has the Elite, and i loved his. So after careful consideration, I decided to return it, and continue looking. I ended up with the Mitsu diamond series. My neighbor now thinks my picture looks better than his elite, and he has traded in. He bought just the Mitsu platinum and saved some money. But all in all, I think you can safely say that the Mitsu HD line has the best picture of all, and it is fully upgradable. The picture on their is spectacular, and the features and menus are so easy to use.