Buying new player soon. Help me decide!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Simpson, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I'm going to Best Buy soon to get a player. I'm in college on a budget but will soon after get a HDTV, so I'm looking at Progressive Scan. There is a Panasonic RP 62 for $179 and a Sony DVP-NS715 for $199. I want one that will play my DVDR's well. I just want to know from any of you that own these players which one is best and why. I will also get an extended warranty on either of these. Does the Sony or Panny have the dreaded Chroma bug, and just how distracting is it? Your advice is helpful. Thanks.

2. Steve Gingras

Just my two cents...but this technology moves so fast that it makes no sense to buy more than you need now. If you plan on buying an HDTV in a year or two, then buy a progressive DVD in a year or two. The one you buy at that point will be much better than the one you buy now. Buy an inexepensie interlaced player and put the rest of that cash in the bank.

If you really are committed to buying more than you need, however, the RP62 wins hands down over the 715p...in terms of video quality. They both play CDR and MP3s, but the 62 also plays WMAs. You should also seriously consider, however, the Toshiba 3800 and 4800 models, also at best buy.

cheers,
    Steve

3. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tip Steve. Now I'm considering maybe just getting a Panasonic 5 disc DVD changer. That might be more beneficial to me for now.

4. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i am looking to buy the sony nc-655p which is a progressive scan 5 disk changer, with a $250 list price. it is at best buy as well.

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Josh,

I have the Panasonic rp62 and am very happy with it, but my buddy has a Sony player, and his plays the DVD-R's a bit better... But overall, I'd say my Panasonic is better.