Questions and recommendations on buying a new player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ash Atchison, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

Well, the time has come to buy a new player. I've had the RCA RC5210P for nearly 4 years and have decided to lay that baby to rest and upgrade. So the question is what next?

I've been looking into progressive scan mainly to sort of future-proof myself, for an HDTV probably lies somewhere in my distant future. As for my TV, at the moment I have the Wega KV-27FS13. I suppose my largest concern is picture quality. I've considered the Panny RP56 due to all the ranting and raving I've read about it and the relatively low price its going for. But since my Wega isn't progressive and I've heard the RP56 interlaced quality isn't that great, I'm wondering if it's really the right choice. Would I see a drastic change in quality if I do choose to get it? I know my current player is pretty old, but how does its picture really measure up to something like the RP? And if it wouldn't be much of a difference, then what would be a better choice for my current TV? Any help or input would be appreciated.

2. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

Don't tell me I'm the only person left without a HDTV. Sheesh.

3. Luke Zhang

Luke Zhang Extra

I did similar research few weeks ago regarding a DVD Player. I have not yet bought one due to a reason I will state below.

My mentality for buying a Progressive Scan player is based on the fact that many have superior features in other areas compared to the non PC ones. (I think they are considered the high-end models that's why) Personally, I think scalability for future needs -- ie. getting PC player for a HDTV you are going to buy should not be a concern since there will be better models out there by then anyways.

I researched two DVD players that fit my budget, and have generally good performance and compatibility. The Panasonic RP-56 and Toshiba SD 4700. I think most people were in favour of the 91 from Panasonic when I researched my player but it was a bit more expensive for my taste.

By the way, anyone knows the difference between a 3750 and 4700 other than the build-in Dolby decoder in the 4700? I need a get a new receiver anyways so I think I can consider the 3750 if that's the case.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

And because it lacks the decoder, the 3750 also does not feature DVD-Audio. Aspect Ratio control is not present as well, at least according to their website. This was a forerunner to the 4700-5700 series and the price step-up differential is wildly in favor of the 4700. I trialed the 4700 two months ago and found it to be a superb performer. The only gripes to mention from my perspective were the remote design and the tendency to lock up when asking too much in the way of special effects viewing. Otherwise, for the money, it's hard to go wrong.

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Upgrade or stay the same...the answer depends on what you think is wrong with your existing player, if any. If it performs fine, then why upgrade? If not, then what features do you need or want? Then find a DVD player that fits YOUR needs.

I am in same boat as you until recently (32 inch JVC TV and Toshiba 2108). I just ordered a Malata N996 DVD player because of it's features like PAL/NTSC, codefree, plays CD/R/RW I think and also MP3, manual scaling, DD/DTS decoder too. I don't need the progressive, but it's good to have if I upgrade my TV.

Dave

6. Norbert Melendez

Norbert Melendez Auditioning

Ash
    To expand on your question.
    I have been looking for the exact same thing. Except in my case this will be my first player. I have also read that the RP56 is an excellent player BUT that in the interlaced mode on a 4:3 TV you can notice some "jaggies". I had not considered the Toshibas. What about the JVC's in the same price range? Do thye caompare image wise? I was excited to consider the RP56 because of the "great" chip inside. What other players provide a "Great" image at this price range (RP56) on a 4:3 (non-progressive TV)?[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

Well the main reason I'm wanting to get a new one, aside from not being able to take advantage of component video with my current player (no comp. outputs), is that I'm not entirely satisfied with what I'm seeing onscreen. Darker colors are full of noise, even on what many consider to be "referece" transfers. The clarity and stability of the picture just isn't what I want it to be.

I've considered that this may be due to my settings itself, as I haven't really tweaked with my WEGAs settings since I got it. Once my AVIA disc gets here, perhaps all my problems will be solved. Who knows?

8. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Oh, man. Dark areas with noise in them? Grab your Wega remote and dial down the Brightness from max to where the blacks are really actually black, not kinda a gray that looks black until you actually set something black next to them...

If this does anything like it did for my TV, this should improve your picture *a lot*. For some reason, probably to help it look good in the glare of bright store lights, many TVs are set waaaay too bright for typical in-home use.

9. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

Actually, I don't think it's a brightness problem so much as a contrast problem. The first thing I did when I got my Wega was turn the brightness down a LOT (hell, I had to just to get rid of the uneven brightness strip at the top). Then I turned the contrast up a lot as well. The result is bright, but a bit muddy. Turning it down results in a clearer, but overly dark picture. (When I said I haven't messed with the settings much, I should have said that I haven't really "fine tuned" them.)

There really needs to be an in-depth site on how to calibrate one of these things all around, not just service menu tips (which I've used). Like I said, maybe Avia is the answer I seek and not a new player.

And on a side note: I've heard that the Wega's component capabilities are pretty bad, and actually looks worse than S-Video. Is this true? And if not, what would be the benefits of using it as opposed to S-Video? Is it really that much better? I'd hate to buy a new player only to find out it wasn't necessary. Sorry about asking all the questions, but hey, I'm an armchair videophile. That's what we do.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Ash,

Before investing money in a new DVD player, pick up a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and perform a proper video calibration of your Wega television. You may find that your current player is fine once your TV is properly calibrated.

I have used Avia to calibrate four TV's that we have owned, and the picture quality improved noticably each time over what I was able to do by "just winging it".

11. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Ash, I agonized over purchasing a new DVD player (I decided to upgraded from the Toshiba 1700 to a progressive scan). After a lot of research I went with the Toshiba 4700. I Have only had it a week, so I can't really vouch for its integrity yet, but from what I've seen, I am very pleased. Again, I am using it in the progressive scan mode and can't vouch for the interlaced mode. I read mostly good and a few bad reveiws about both the 4700 and the RP 56. The deciding factor for me was that the 4700 had aspect ratio control. I have an HDTV with 4:3 aspect ratio and the 4700 fills the screen with little loss of picture quality. Of course, you lose the sides of the picture, so I don't think I'll be using it that much, but it is there if I want to use it. I have read that the RP 56 does not have an aspect ratio control. Anyway, hope that helps you.

12. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

Well, I finally got my Avia and have calibrated my TV accordingly, and I must say that while the picture is indeed better looking, my problems with excessive chroma noise still exist. I've come to the conclusion that it must be my player. Can anyone recommend a player that can eliminate my problem?

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ash,

I recently upgraded from a Proscan PS8680Z which is very similar to your RCA. Your RCA has the infamous "chroma bug" but does downcoversion exceptionally well. I upgraded to a Panasonic Technics DVD-A10 (interlaced predecessor to the RP91 in many ways, but with better audio). I compared the two side by side and was surprised that the Technics really did look noticably better on my ISF calibrated NTSC display.

I would recommend a Panasonc, Sony, or Pioneer unit if you need to use the anamorphic downconversion in the DVD player. Toshibas are very jaggy. If your TV does anamorphic jump on Toshiba, they are great and built to last. My brother has my original Toshiba 2006 first generation player still going strong.