New question on HD sets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, May 3, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey,..I have been looking at buying an HD RPTV for the past few months. Today,..I walked into a store specializing in HT. Long story short,...this guy tells me, almost all "HD" sets that are on the market today, are "not" true HD sets. They do not have the neccisary processor to produce a true HD picture. We about had a fist fight right there in the front room. His delivery was a little harsh, and condesending to say the least. I'm not one to back away from this kind of treatment, and I asked him to clarify himself. Well,..that took quite a while, and I still didn't quite understand what he was trying to get at. Only that he did at one point say,.." WEll,..most sets will get you 90% of the way to a true HD picture.

What say the experts here?

Thanks guys,..this just gets more difficult every day.

>>>--->

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, set's don't include the HD decoder box, you have to buy that separately

OR he could be talking about the use of 7" instead of 9" CRTs, some experts say that to fully resolve HD 9" is the minimum you need. The 7" look DARN good to me

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

To fully resolve 1080, you do need a 9" CRT, which is rather rare. As Jeff said, if that's what he's talking about, he's probably right. If that's not what he's refering to (and not to some DVI/HDCP issue), than I'm not too sure.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> Only that he did at one point say,.." WEll,..most sets will get you 90% of the way to a true HD picture...
    (random musings)
    1. It may be noted that there are a lot of regular TV sets that fall far short of 90% of the way to a true NTSC picture.
    2. There is no way of knowing whether the source material coming over the air or at least the source material as it comes down the component video cable to your HDTV ready set, will get 90% of the way to true HDTV.
    Currently most HDTV ready sets can put a white dot in any of the 1920 x 1080 pixel positions on the screen but it is common to find that the spot can be no smaller than 1/1000'th the screen width, or about 1/600'th the screen height.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

uh ... in most cases, 9" crts are not enough for full HD either.

I've looked at my share of runcos and ampros and others to know that even with 9" ... these things are not doing more than 1400 x 1080i ...

Regards

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

7. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Ok,..

Thanks guys,..I think this guy is a"I know it all, and you don't" kind of guy, and a person with a little know how puts him in high gear to make you look like you need, him.

>>>--->