What's new

New PS2 model announced in Japan (1 Viewer)

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
From PS2.IGN.COM:

April 14, 2003 - Sony Computer Entertainment Japan announced early this morning that it will unveil the all-new SPCH-50000 model of the PlayStation 2 on May 15 for 25,000 yen (approximately $207 U.S. dollars). Most notable perhaps because of its increased DVD capability, the new model will allow gamers to play DVD-R, DVD-RW, R+, and RW+ on their systems for the very first time. Also of interest is the SPCH-50000's ability to support progressive scan for DVD movies in addition to videogames. Though progressive scan mode will not be available for recorded discs.

Other new features include the ability to open and close the disc tray with the new DVD remote released simultaneously for 2200 yen ($18 U.S.), turning the power on and off with the remote, a built-in infrared sensor housed directly inside the system, a 30% less-noisy fan, and a 400g lighter weight than the original mode.

In the grand tradition of "out with the old, in with the new", however, the PlayStation 2's IEEE 1394 FireWire port has been completely removed.

Still no word yet on when North American consumers can look forward to the new model. Check back with IGN for further developments.

Man, I would love everyone of those upgrades.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I agree. Having a Progressive Scan DVD player with this kind of game library is a pretty good deal for those who are looking to get a PS2.

Glen

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
so...it says it adds progressive to games...I think it means in addition to those games that already support progressive scan, the dvd player does as well now.
Because if it makes ALL games go progressive, then damn am I buying another PS2 when this sucker hits these shores.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Was there even a use for the Firewire port in the first place? If the new USB ports are 2.0 then no biggie...

Wade Paris

Grip
Was there even a use for the Firewire port in the first place? If the new USB ports are 2.0 then no biggie...
As far as games go, it's used for linking two PS2's together, but I can't even recall one hand's worth of games that use the feature.

In the PS2 Linux world, its the best option for external storage, since the built-in DVD-ROM drive is already in use. There was also a project I have lost track of to do video capture and stuff via the port.

That said, I don't understand why the removed the port. It's not like it was an extra chip just for firewire they are saving money on removing (it's on an integrated chip). Maybe that US$0.05 licensing fee was killing them :rolleyes

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
it says it adds progressive to games...
Where does it say that? The one I read on the SCEI site says it adds progressive scan support for dvd playback, nothing to do with adding it to games.

I think you're misunderstanding the intention of the "in addition" statement.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
The progressive scan option has to be coded into the game from the beginning, correct? The new PS2 is not a line-doubler, it will just properly display games that already support 480p. DVDs are natively 480p. But I also recall reading that displaying progressive scan was a PS2 software issue. Why not release a patch disk, like they did for the DVD drivers, for the rest of us?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I wonder if it's too much to hope for a smaller more slick looking package too. Personally I hate the styling of the current PS2. I'd be all over something that looks like the PSOne.

Dean

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The firewire port is being replaced by an infrared port for a new remote for DVD playback.
They don't really need to replace the Firewire port for an itty bitty IR receiver. I'm sure there's more reasoning behind its removal.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They don't really need to replace the Firewire port for an itty bitty IR receiver. I'm sure there's more reasoning behind its removal
There probably was another reason for it's removal (no games require it, while some require the USB ports and most games can just use the Network Adapter or USB ports for other stuff), but it is still being replaced by the infrared port.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks