What's new

"Big" Sega Game Update for 2003 (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There's a big Sega trade thing going on in Japan at the mo', and they've announced a bunch of new titles in the midst of it:
PS2 gets new Sega Ages disks, featuring:
Space Harrier
Fantasy Zone
Phantasy Star
Golden Axe
Monaco GP
Alex Kidd's Miracle World
Gain Ground
Bonanza Brothers
Streets of Rage
Tant-R
Phantasy Star 2
Virtua Racing
Phantasy Star 4
Last Bronx
While the XBox gets ports of these slightly smelly DC games:
Rent-A-Hero No. 1
Illbleed
Dynamite Deka 2
Blue Stinger: Premium Cut
I think the PS2 got the much better deal :) I wonder if there's any plans to bring Rent-A-Hero to the West this time, it was a JPN only release on the DC (heavy on language). Dynamite Deka 2 started off as a Model 2 game, I believe, and certainly showed its age on the DC... Illbleed is sitting in my pile of shame (aka games bought but not yet played).
For screens:
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/ne...=12&nid=2-8.db
And the PS2 gets VF4:evolution too, despite old rumours saying otherwise.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The first three listed (Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone & PS1) are all being tagged as "remakes" rather than emulated... Go have a look at the screenies.

And rather annoyingly, each game is a seperate release (albeit for teh equivalent of $20). Of course, with the Saturn Ages games, SOA bundled three together for a Western release. In an ideal world, they'd do what Capcom did with the PSX Capcom Collection & bundle all four disks together for a Western release.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The first three listed (Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone & PS1) are all being tagged as "remakes" rather than emulated... Go have a look at the screenies.
Yes the new Phantasy Star remake looks rather interesting. I do agree however that separate releases is not the way to go with these.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else have the later Sega 'Memorial' disc for the Saturn from Japan that had:

Pengo
Flicky
Up & Down
Head-On

That was nice. I'd never played Flicky before, and it might be the best game of the lot.

A 'Sonic Adventure 2' save on the Gamecube unlocks Flicky in the new Sonic Collection...

Ryan FB

Second Unit
If only they would give us reissues/ports of Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga (good luck finding this thing under $100 now), Shining Force 3 (all 3 scenarios!), etc. that came out for the Saturn. Heck, they could port over Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei, and Panzer Dragoon Saga to XBox as a compilation in honor of the new Panzer Dragon Orta coming out. Hey...we can all dream :D. I missed the whole Saturn thing almost completely (only had Nintendo consoles up until my PS2), but I've now ordered a Saturn and Burning Rangers, Nights, and Panzer Dragoon are on the way as well (in addition to some more esoteric titles I thought I'd give a go like Policenauts and Soul Hackers). Hoping to catch up on some of the great gaming I missed...anyone know a good place to pick up rare/import Saturn titles on the cheap? ;)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a Sega thread heres some interesting news:
Sega sells SNAP
Its good to see them take advantage of the knowledge they gained with the Dreamcast and to a lesser extent the Saturn. *Sega yell* Sega!

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Bleh, respect for Sega down another 5%.

Where are the new and innovative games?

Porting Illbleed, a game that can be had for under $5 on ebay, has got to be the biggest waste of manpower ever.

The Rent-a-Hero port is a good idea since it was a neat game that didn't come stateside. It's a shame that they seem hell bent on killing the DC's legacy by porting most of its hot exclusives to new systems though. Sega used to be my favorite company, sadly they're becoming more and more like EA by the day.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Brian's got it on the money IMO.
Hell, Chu Chu Rocket and Bomberman is what I really want on XBox Live. That and a good rallycross game and an F1 game and you can keep everything else. ;)
And downloadable online-playable mini-games, that would be the shit. :)
As far as the Dreamcast (hell, the Saturn too), I'd love to see all those great exclusive classics ported to contemporary systems....games are written to be enjoyed, let them have a broader audience. The Saturn and the DC may live on in our entertainment systems, but we are a niche inside of a niche. I'm far more interested in seeing great game designs gain appreciation than belonging to some kind of 'exclusive club'.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sega's doing right with these. Lots of games many people didn't get to play while thye had their heads stuck up Nintendo's ass are coming here.
It seems to me that Sega has successfully emulated Genesis on all 3 existing consoles. Most of the Saturn games unfortunately have to be remakes as emulating Saturn and SegaCD is virtually impossible due ot the double processors (SegaCD used the Genesis' 6800 chip for sound processing while it used it's own for graphics)
Sega's doing what they need to do right now, MS has not been a good environment for their titles in terms of exposure and sales, and I fully expect that unless Nintendo pays big bucks Sonic Adventure 3 will be a Box/Cube/PS2 title. I'm betting that any future Jet Set titles will be as well, or at least an XB/Cube game.
Microsoft is looking to be in more and more trouble by the day in terms of solid Japanese development. (And this is coming from an XBox owner) They're starting to run out of games they haven't commissioned or aren't ports. Sigh, maybe a new Power Stone game for XB Live? Drool :)

Damien

Supporting Actor
the problem i have, is how stupid these ports look on xbox. did a fairy fly in there heads in there sleep and say port some of the worst dc games that can be downloaded on a computer to the xbox?? what in the world are they thinking, ports of jgr and others would be appreciated by many.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
/me shakes his head disapprovingly.

It's like they want to be flushed down the crapper.

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I read at Gamers.com that Sega is going to graphically update some games (like a few already mentioned) and totally remake others (I think Golden Axe was the one they mentioned).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's like they want to be flushed down the crapper.
To be fair, these aren't costing Sega much - everything's been farmed out to other companies. Remember that "Cool Cool" deal announced a while ago? Those Xbox games are the result of that.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Instead, if they're going to do DC "upgrades", then upgrade the likes of Alien Front Online & Chu Chu Rocket to the PS2/Xbox with suitable online support. Get a Live! server working that allows users to upload/rate/download ChuChu levels to the HD. Port the JPN "parlour game" set that was very successful. Get Confidential Mission up & running with GCon2 support. Howabout a free download of Sega Swirl in return for going online with a Sega Live game & registering? Sell a cheap Live playable version of Swirl to people who download the demo. Where's Seaman with support for the Live mic?
Now, you're talkin'! :emoji_thumbsup:
I echo the statement for Bomberman on Live as well. That was a lot of fun on the DC. An updated Golden Axe with Live capability would be cool as hell in my little corner of the world...

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Sega's doing right with these. Lots of games many people didn't get to play while thye had their heads stuck up Nintendo's ass are coming here.
I too feel for the poor souls who haven't experienced the wonders of Dynamite Cop, Blue Stinger, and Illbleed.

Sega wonders why they've had to make a huge cut in sales estimates, yet half the games they've churned out since abandoning the DC have ranked between mediocre and absolute garbage, while they don't make sequels to games like Nights and Streets of Rage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks