"Big" Sega Game Update for 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Dec 3, 2002.

1. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There's a big Sega trade thing going on in Japan at the mo', and they've announced a bunch of new titles in the midst of it:
    PS2 gets new Sega Ages disks, featuring:
    Space Harrier
    Fantasy Zone
    Phantasy Star
    Golden Axe
    Monaco GP
    Alex Kidd's Miracle World
    Gain Ground
    Bonanza Brothers
    Streets of Rage
    Tant-R
    Phantasy Star 2
    Virtua Racing
    Phantasy Star 4
    Last Bronx
    While the XBox gets ports of these slightly smelly DC games:
    Rent-A-Hero No. 1
    Illbleed
    Dynamite Deka 2
    Blue Stinger: Premium Cut
    I think the PS2 got the much better deal [​IMG] I wonder if there's any plans to bring Rent-A-Hero to the West this time, it was a JPN only release on the DC (heavy on language). Dynamite Deka 2 started off as a Model 2 game, I believe, and certainly showed its age on the DC... Illbleed is sitting in my pile of shame (aka games bought but not yet played).
    For screens:
    http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/ne...=12&nid=2-8.db
    And the PS2 gets VF4:evolution too, despite old rumours saying otherwise.

2. Michael St. Clair

Hmmm, I wonder if Sony is greasing Sega's palm...
    PS2 devinitely got the best deal [​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The first three listed (Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone & PS1) are all being tagged as "remakes" rather than emulated... Go have a look at the screenies.

And rather annoyingly, each game is a seperate release (albeit for teh equivalent of $20). Of course, with the Saturn Ages games, SOA bundled three together for a Western release. In an ideal world, they'd do what Capcom did with the PSX Capcom Collection & bundle all four disks together for a Western release.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Michael St. Clair

Anybody else have the later Sega 'Memorial' disc for the Saturn from Japan that had:

Pengo
    Flicky
    Up & Down
    Head-On

That was nice. I'd never played Flicky before, and it might be the best game of the lot.

A 'Sonic Adventure 2' save on the Gamecube unlocks Flicky in the new Sonic Collection...

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Rent-A-Hero never got a US release. I very much would like to play it in English!

8. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

If only they would give us reissues/ports of Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga (good luck finding this thing under $100 now), Shining Force 3 (all 3 scenarios!), etc. that came out for the Saturn. Heck, they could port over Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei, and Panzer Dragoon Saga to XBox as a compilation in honor of the new Panzer Dragon Orta coming out. Hey...we can all dream [​IMG]. I missed the whole Saturn thing almost completely (only had Nintendo consoles up until my PS2), but I've now ordered a Saturn and Burning Rangers, Nights, and Panzer Dragoon are on the way as well (in addition to some more esoteric titles I thought I'd give a go like Policenauts and Soul Hackers). Hoping to catch up on some of the great gaming I missed...anyone know a good place to pick up rare/import Saturn titles on the cheap? [​IMG]

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Since this is a Sega thread heres some interesting news:
    Sega sells SNAP
    Its good to see them take advantage of the knowledge they gained with the Dreamcast and to a lesser extent the Saturn. *Sega yell* Sega!

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Bleh, respect for Sega down another 5%.

Where are the new and innovative games?

Porting Illbleed, a game that can be had for under $5 on ebay, has got to be the biggest waste of manpower ever.

The Rent-a-Hero port is a good idea since it was a neat game that didn't come stateside. It's a shame that they seem hell bent on killing the DC's legacy by porting most of its hot exclusives to new systems though. Sega used to be my favorite company, sadly they're becoming more and more like EA by the day.

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Michael St. Clair

Brian's got it on the money IMO.
    Hell, Chu Chu Rocket and Bomberman is what I really want on XBox Live. That and a good rallycross game and an F1 game and you can keep everything else. [​IMG]
    And downloadable online-playable mini-games, that would be the shit. [​IMG]
    As far as the Dreamcast (hell, the Saturn too), I'd love to see all those great exclusive classics ported to contemporary systems....games are written to be enjoyed, let them have a broader audience. The Saturn and the DC may live on in our entertainment systems, but we are a niche inside of a niche. I'm far more interested in seeing great game designs gain appreciation than belonging to some kind of 'exclusive club'.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sega's doing right with these. Lots of games many people didn't get to play while thye had their heads stuck up Nintendo's ass are coming here.
    It seems to me that Sega has successfully emulated Genesis on all 3 existing consoles. Most of the Saturn games unfortunately have to be remakes as emulating Saturn and SegaCD is virtually impossible due ot the double processors (SegaCD used the Genesis' 6800 chip for sound processing while it used it's own for graphics)
    Sega's doing what they need to do right now, MS has not been a good environment for their titles in terms of exposure and sales, and I fully expect that unless Nintendo pays big bucks Sonic Adventure 3 will be a Box/Cube/PS2 title. I'm betting that any future Jet Set titles will be as well, or at least an XB/Cube game.
    Microsoft is looking to be in more and more trouble by the day in terms of solid Japanese development. (And this is coming from an XBox owner) They're starting to run out of games they haven't commissioned or aren't ports. Sigh, maybe a new Power Stone game for XB Live? Drool [​IMG]

15. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

the problem i have, is how stupid these ports look on xbox. did a fairy fly in there heads in there sleep and say port some of the worst dc games that can be downloaded on a computer to the xbox?? what in the world are they thinking, ports of jgr and others would be appreciated by many.

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

/me shakes his head disapprovingly.

It's like they want to be flushed down the crapper.

-Dave

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read at Gamers.com that Sega is going to graphically update some games (like a few already mentioned) and totally remake others (I think Golden Axe was the one they mentioned).

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

19. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

20. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor