What's new

New Kef Reference Speakers - I died and went to heaven (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
the soundstage is so deep that with a decent CD player, instruments are heard over my shoulders and behind me on 2 channel music.
:eek:
No offense but I have some trouble taking this kind of statement seriously. Is this kind of stuff really possible?!!
--
Holadem

Martice

Screenwriter
In regards to the super expanded soundstage described by
Mano, I've experienced a similar effect with certain CD's and I'm sure it's more related to the actual mix then a source player.
The sound stage projected from my system while using certain CD's do have mixes that sound like they are coming from the sides of the wall although not the surround speakers which are located slightly further in back of my sitting position.
As far as sounding like sounds are behind me I haven't been so lucky to experience such a phenomenon. :frowning:

Red Spencer

Agent
James is correct. B&W Nautilus line has been around longer than KEF's new reference line has. I did some listening today at our local Ultimate Electronics mega store, and I was amazed that they wanted almost 15K for a pair of these. NOT IMPRESSED...If you don't think these are some of the most overpriced speakers out there, you MUST get out more. And I guess B&W should feel flattered the someone is trying to imitate them, you know, if you can't make it - fake it!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
perhaps that was not plastic but 'faux silver' ;) listening comparisons are so difficult seeing as how the rooms that one hears them are different, which may, possibly, who knows, explain your displeasure with the KEF. Glad you had a good time there George :)
and Jeffrey, one day you must explain if that post of yours is audiophilic tourettes :D

george king

Supporting Actor
Red,

To each his own. Like I said, I have heard most of the B&W line (including the 800) series on quality (McIntosh and Levinson) front ends, and I did not like it at all.

This is what make life interesting and keeps all these companies alive. As an aside, the technologies for the two sets of speakers are not the same - appearances can be decieving.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Chu Gai,
It looked like plastic, it felt like plastic and from what I could tell it was definately plastic. Basically I would expect better build quality on a pair of £9grand speakers.

I personally have the previous generation KEF Reference and love them. Tried B&W...didn't love them. Simple as that. As for the new KEF Ref. line, I don't like the looks. They look too much like B&W as mentioned. But they still sound great!

Buy what you like. Like what you buy.
dkp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks