What's new

New Home theater Components. (1 Viewer)

ccg83

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
I am upgrading the home theater equipment I currently have in my room.. I have a CRT Sony WEGA 30" 720p TV and Sony 5.1 Home Theater in a Box and a TON of remotes for dvd players/recorders.

My job is paying me quite well these days and now I am upgrading...

Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater System (HT-SR800)

Samsung 40" LCD HDTV (LN-T4065F)

PS3 (mostly for Blu-Ray)

Upconverting 1080p DVD player w/HDMI

And I already own an XBOX 360 Elite w/ HD DVD Drive

All will be connected by HDMI and Optical Digital Cables and I am purchasing the Logitech Harmony 1000 super remote

My questions are these:

1.) Any one hear anything about the ONYKO system..circuit city has good customer reviews about it. its only like $450 and dolby 7.1 w/ DTS? If the Onyko isn't good then do you have any other suggestions for a system in a box 7.1 solution.

2.) The Harmony 1000... how does that work with the Xbox,PS3 and a Cable Co Provided HD-DVR... will I be able to program my Sirius S-50 remote into it as well?

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

adam613

Agent
Real Name
Adam
Don't bother buying an upconverting DVD player. The PS3 can upconvert DVDs to 1080p, and it does a good job of it.

ccg83

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Right on...thanks for the info... I had no idea that it could upconvert as well.

adam613

Agent
Real Name
Adam
It has only been able to do so for about a month (since firmware version 1.80 was released). You can only upconvert over HDMI, but you said you're connecting over HDMI so that shouldn't be an issue.

Also, everyone else on this forum is going to push this a lot harder than I am, but you should consider purchasing receiver and speakers separately rather than buying another HTiB. You'll get more for your money, especially since you already have a system you can build on. (I bought an Onkyo HT-SR894 HTiB, which I am quite happy with, but I was starting with nothing and I got a good deal.)

ccg83

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
I was thinking about doing the reciever and the speakers seperate but I am finding crazy expensive recievers for the 7.1 system.

Any suggestions on a setup that would be under $600

Louisville Fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Goss
I just bought the tx-sr605 (onkyo) for $549.00 but I don't have my speakers yet so I can't say how good it is, It looks good sitting on the stand :)

Anyone have ideas for me about HT 5.1 set up?

joseph westcott

Second Unit

I agree with Adam. Go with separates. The new Onkyo TX SR605 supports the new lossless HD audio and HDMI 1.3a. and would be my recommendation for a receiver right now. I know of no other that offers these features to date.

Speakers make argueably the greatest difference in sound quality and good speakers will last generations. Other components come and go as technology changes. If your income is doing better, compromise. Get a good AV receiver like the one suggested and maybe just the front three channels. Then, in a few pay days, get the subwoofer and rear surrounds. I can tell you, a quality sub can make a huge difference in a home theater system and it is just hard to get a good one for under $500. But, once acquired, you will not feel the urge to upgrade for a long time or until you have so much cash laying around that it would not affect you financially to splurge. A quality center channel is also important since most information is sent through this channel in a HT. I am cofident that if you audition several systems, you will appreciate the added expense.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

I have heard good things about this new receiver and it sounds like you have been doing your homework.

We love spending other people's money so give us a budget and I am sure we can come up with some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks