What's new

New Home Surround Sound Install (1 Viewer)

Chris.A

Auditioning
I would like to ask for some opinions regarding the custom installation of a surround sound system for a new home. My parents are building a new home and would like to install surround sound in a living room that has a very open floor plan. I realize that a home theater is typically installed in a small room that has good acoustical dimensions. I also realize that speaker position and seating position play a vital role in home theater design. With that said I will tell you that this room is probably the absolute worst room to install a home theater system in. My parents don’t plan to build a dedicated “home theater” and would simply like to add surround sound to an existing room for an occasional movie.

The living room is 20’-1” wide by 15’-2.5” long. The room will have vaulted ceilings and will be open to both a hallway and kitchen area. The exterior wall of the room will feature a fireplace placed between two windows. The television will be placed in a recessed area above the fireplace.

My parents would like to keep the speakers and audio components concealed as much as possible. They are planning on using a complete set of in wall speakers. The audio components will be placed in a closet or possibly under a counter.

What are some suggestions for audio components/ speakers for this setup? I would like to do this on a budget preferably under 1k for the receiver and speakers. Is this possible? Keep in mind that this room is for an occasional movie with the family and not designed for an audiophile. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
What are you goals sound wise???

You will need to up the budget some, pretty big room witch opens into other rooms?

Tough environment...
As for reccomendations? You need power and you need a mean sub....

Yamaha 5890 AVR - I've installed two of these now, and it definelty has all the pre/pro bells and whistles, as well as a ton of muscle. $479 This is where I ordered my last one for a customer from.
http://www.pricesrite.com/htr5890.html

Velodyn DLS5000R - This has eq built in, as well as a ton of power, and a solid 15" driver. Also around $577.. This is where I ended up getting mine from.
http://www.aboutgizmos.com/vedl5.html

Infinity 210 in-wall speakers (If they must have in walls)
You will need at least 4 of these for full surround, allowing the AVR to simulate the center between the two fronts. Also $500 for all 4 of them.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...mode=googlegfr

Any less than the above and I would not personally do the installation.

Best of luck with it. Any less expensive and you would have to buy used to achieve theater like performance in that room. Becasue if your not going to do it right for the long term, you may as well just install 2 channel and call it good.

Chris.A

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestions John.

I don't really know what my parents goals are concerning the sound they would like to achieve in the living room and quite honestly I don't think they do either. I was just trying to give them some suggestions.

Can you mount the infinity speakers in the ceiling? The couch may be monted parralell to a hallway and the rear surround speakers may have to mounted on the underside of a 2nd story hallway.

Once again thanks for you suggestions.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I really like the KEF inwall stuff. Thier Uni-Q drivers really throw out a wide soundfield. I have some dipolar for my surround and my brother actually has some that power down when the system is powered up. Really cool!

Here is the website from the guy I bought my stuff from. Check out some of the pictures.

Custom Home Theater Design

Jeff Aguilar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks