What's new

New Heavenly Creatures... full frame only?!!! (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Guys... before getting all your panties in a bunch, it pays to confirm this stuff. Buena Vista has just officially assured me this morning that the 1.33:1 listing on the press site was in error, and that the disc will indeed be 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. That IS CONFIRMED by the studio.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Thanks Bill :)
I will have to re-order
as far as panties in a bunch the sites that reported pan & scan are to blame for this matter.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Thanks Bill. It would be nice if whoever contacted you would let whoever runs Buena Vista's Video.com site or the error. I found this searching thats sites "Video Vault" for "Heavenly Creatures". It looks like this may be the page DVDFile was getting their news. I first went to Link Removed but that's for industry personnel apparently.
http://psc.video.go.com/bvhe/videova...s/1744703.html
p.s., They use the picture from the Canadian dvd, so I thought this might be a listing for that edition, but the release date is listed as 09-24-2002.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Veddy veddy good news. I hope the studios are realizing that getting this stuff right in press materials and solicitations matters.

-greg

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Guys... before getting all your panties in a bunch, it pays to confirm this stuff.
Hey, if I had to confirm all these things on my own, there wouldn't be much of a point in relying on sites like Digital Bits and DVDFile to be an information source. The onus should not be on the end consumer of the information to double-check it, otherwise there wouldn't be any point in any of us even reading the newspaper in the morning.

Thanks for the confirmation, Bill. I hope that BV is more careful about the information they are releasing in the future.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
The onus should not be on the end consumer of the information to double-check it
I tried and tried to make sense of the above but failed. Please explain to my foreign brain what you're trying to say. :) I take it you mean that customers shouldn't have to double-check info, i.e. something like "the onus to double-check information shouldn't be on the customer end"? I agree with that. :)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Great news! Now if they just add some extras or the alternate cut, I would be happy to purchase it!!

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Jussi, yes, that is what I mean. Perhaps what Bill is referring to is not the end consumer, but all the other web sites that went ahead and blasted BV before confirming the info, further stirring the pot.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
From the Fourth World web site (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/2194/):
Thought you might like a list of most scenes deleted from the Foreign print and their approximate timings.
I have viewed both versions.
Additional info: Heavenly Creatures opened wide in NZ on Friday October 14, 1994. It had previously been shown as part of the Auckland International Film Festival in July/Aug 1994.
Two scenes of the Avon River and Christchurch's cyclists are delted from the newsreel prologue (total time 49 seconds)
The drive to Port Levy as the Hulmes and Pauline sing "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window". (40 seconds)
Hilda Hulme refers to the girls as "my two daughters" outside the holiday home in Port Levy (not timed)
Helicopter shot of Pauline pursuing Juliet over the hills (10 seconds)
Sanitorium patient coughs bloody sputum into cup (2 seconds)
Borovnian is more graphically cleft in two by castle gate (1 second)
After Juliet picks up the gem stone a shot is shown of the two girls dressed as princesses on a Borovnian balcony raising their chalices in a toast and then "morphing" into their clay-sculpted figurines before cutting to the shots of "brown" and "grey" eyes. Pauline's verse refers to watching "the race of men decay and change". (10 seconds)
The girls fantasize about love scenes with James Mason and Mel Ferrer after stealing the family silver. Juliets says they cansimply murder any odd wives that might get in their way. (26 seconds)
A garden party at the Hulmes has Hilda and Bill Perry playing tennis as the girls roam the shrubbery consuming wine and grapes. They hurl a rock in the stream to soak Pauline's psychiatrists trousers. A flashback shows Hilda at dinner suggesting Bill stay with them to recuperate and Juliets romantic vision of his arrival by ambulance segues into drab reality as he is shown to the servants quarters. Before a disciplinary committee Mr Hulme is given until the end of the year to resign his post and is seen weeping alone in his armchair as Hilda and Bill's laughter is heard from another room while they continue their affair. (3 minutes 40 seconds)
Hilda, upon being caught in bed with Bill, insists she was merely bringing him a cup of tea (10 seconds)
Pauline imagines her mother choking and her father impaling himself on a knife at the dinner table. (1 minute 24 seconds)
The girls bedroom scene (A night with the saints) shows a banner S-I-N unfurling and later bursting forth with blood. Borvnian peasants cheer the girls on from outside the window. (10 seconds)
Paulines final cry "NO" with her bloodied visage is seen in the final shot. The US version only features her cry on the soundtrack after fading to black. (3 seconds)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Good News.

And for those of you who called Disney to make sure this was widescreen...thank-you too. Even though the P/S issue was a mistake with this particular DVD, your comments and effort to call about this issue have been RECORDED into Disney's database.

A call to Disney a day keeps the P/S-only DVD away!

dave

p.s. Hey Bill...thanks for the info...but please don't chastise us for not doing a better job "confirming". After all...we did the best we could...we read all the press-release info we could find and we called Disney's consumer hot-line direct. What else can a consumer do?

-dave

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
And before anyone says that this film is in an altered aspect ratio because it's being presented at 2.35:1 instead of 1.66:1, I'd like to remind all of you that this film was shot in Super-35, and the 1.66:1 ratio refers to the full film frame.

PeterB

Agent
Hey there

Peter B. from DVDFILE. Just wanted to chime in on some of the previous posts. It's very frustrating trying to post accurate info, when there are times that the info we get is erroneous from the source itself.

I'd love to be able to verify each and every title, but with hundreds of titles being announced every month, it is rather impossible, at least with the "staff" I have (i.e., me.) The studios, of course, tell sites like ours to rely on their press releases and websites, so it becomes difficult to know when to start "blasting" a DVD based on the released info.

I don't know if I agree that the onus is on the consumer, but I feel like I can sleep well if the info gets corrected before street date, so at least no one has bought a title based on faulty pre-release specs.

I can remember a few instances in particular, such as Halloween H20 and Willy Wonka, where I got hate mail up the wazoo. The H20 specs listed an audio commentary, which was even printed on the packaging, but the disc itself didn't include it at all. Then there was Willy Wonka which was originally listed on the Warner site as being in widescreen - even the disc's producer spoke publicly that it would be - then it suddenly became pan & scan, and as we know it then took a petition to get a widescreen version. And as recently as the upcoming release of The Swarm, which was announced as having a commentary with Michael Caine but doesn't - even the PR person stated the same - it is sometimes impossible to "confirm" anything anymore without actually seeing the disc. Sometimes I think i should just get out of the disc news business and only do reviews, eh eh!

So, I can only speak for myself, but I'd love to get feedback on the best way to handle this stuff. My only goal is to serve you, the consumer, but if I can't trust the studio's only outlets for info, I admittedly wonder what to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks