What's new

New Heavenly Creatures... full frame only?!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I think the specs are WRONG, and it has 2.35:1 and DD 5.1. And, as said at one of the HTF chats, Peter Jackson prefers the U.S. cut of this film, so we won't be seeing the N.Z. version for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Fine with me. I was holding out for the uncut version anyway.

So actually, this is good news. Now it's more likely we'll get another version not too long from now.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I would suggest to all those canceling their pre-orders that they contact the vendor and tell them why they are canceling.

Disney apparently won't listen to us, but they just might listen to the vendors. IF we make enough noise tot he vendors, just maybe that will get passed along to Disney, although I must say that it seems that the Mouse has gotten too big for his shorts and thinks that they can dictate to the market what people want even though it is supposed to be the other way round.

No OAR = No Sale

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Please take the time to post your feedback in the thread I started in the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback section, where it is more likely to be read and ignored by the studio. Yes, I am bitter. I hope this turns out not to be true.
And that's also a start.
But the real answer is
Call Disney directly and complain...tell them you want widescreen on this title. Tell them 16x9 is important to you and your family as you have or will be one-day buying a widescreen TV. Tell them your *family* prefers widescreen.
1-800-72-DISNEY
[email protected]

Disney won't know *why* you didn't buy it if you just boycott the purchase. And they'll not pay much attention to posts in a forum that's populated by HT "experts".
Call them. Then email them. Sound like a *regular* consumer who happens to want widescreen.
Do it.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
According to the Disney person on the 1-800 number, Heavenly Creatures is slated to be in WIDESCREEN.

Wow...my 500th post... and I've been on this board for about 5 years.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Until we see a concrete statement that it is indeed widescreen, i would just take the disney rep at the 800# with a grain of salt. Could be she is telling you what you want to hear to get rid of you (hopefully that isn't the case) or maybe it was intended to be widescreen at first and she just has that info.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Well, she was friendly about it and I heard her typing into the computer the name of the title. I would not think that it was originally slated to be widescreen and then somehow changed to pan & scam. Plus, the other titles coming out at that time are all widescreen.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Can't hurt to call regardless. Letting them know that you want a title in widescreen gets logged into their system and will affect marketing decisions on future titles even if it turns out it was a false-alarm for this title.

Either way...call them. Let them know widescreen is important to you and that you heard this title would be P/S only and that you won't buy it if this is the case. If they say it will be widescreen, give them a big "thank-you!".

-dave

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Prentice: hopefully that is a good sign then :) Maybe they just sent out the wrong info on the spec sheet like others have mentioned. Time will tell, hopefully we don't have to wait to long to find out. But it is disney so i won't hold my breath.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Whew.... I certainly hope it is in widescreen. If so:

Disney, I will pick up this title in a second if it is in widescreen!

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I'd be willing to bet a nickel that it's going to be widescreen.

For anyone that cares, most of the theatrical releases of Peter Jackson's movies are already the director's cut. Even on The Frighteners laserdisc commentary track he states that the LD box set - labeled as as "Director's Cut" - should actually be considered the "Director's FUN Cut", since the theatrical version is his approved cut of the movie.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I just called 1-800-72-DISNEY and spoke with a very kind woman named Lisa. I asked if she could confirm the specs of HC, whether or not it was in WIDESCREEN, and after looking it up on her computer she assured me it WAS GOING TO BE IN WIDESCREEN AFTER ALL. I also gave her some kind words about AMELIE and ROYAL TENENBAUMS so as to encourage them to do more good work along those lines. (I figured customer service folks usually get more complaints than compliments, maybe this would make her day more pleasant. :) )
Might I suggest that when we make our calls to Disney we take the attitude of asking what the specs are, rather than coming out with guns blazing in "complaint" mode.
Keep up the good work, everybody! I too am looking forward to this fine film featuring Orson Welles . . . the most hideous man alive!!!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Might I suggest that when we make our calls to Disney we take the
attitude of asking what the specs are, rather than coming out with guns
blazing in "complaint" mode.
Excellent point. As long as your advocating for widescreen when you "ask"...this is probably a great way to do it!

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Isn't this more likely to be a bait-and-switch release like Memento and Princess Bride? People who like the film will buy up the barebones just to have it for the film itself. At a later date, a full-on special edition is released (possibly based on initial sales?) to the adoring fans. I assume PJ has a LOT more cred now to get a SE done for this flick but we know he doesn't have any time to do it right now. He is knee deep in Middle Earth and will be for at least another couple of years (finish the current two flicks, their DVD's, etc.). HC is the movie that brought a whole new audience to the PJ canon. I bet we will get the better version down the road. Here's to hope!

Phil

PeterB

Agent
Hey there

This is Peter B. from DVDFILE. Heavenly Creatures is one of my fav and according to the BVHE press site it's full frame and 2.0 only. I put in a request to PR to get a confirm on the specs, and am still awaiting an answer. Alas, the BVHE site has been wrong before, which is always frustrating. In this case, I sure hope it is!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
John, ALL the previously mentioned retailers have this listed as anamorphically enhanced at 2.35:1.
Peter, thanks for clearing that up, but just some constructive criticism here... I personally would have waited for the confirmation before reporting this, especially in light of this comment, "Alas, the BVHE site has been wrong before, which is always frustrating.". Of course, that means that another site could have "broke the story", but if it turns out to be bogus, then what was it worth? I would have really appreciated if you had included in the report your revelation that your source was the BVHE site, and that a confirmation was pending. The way it reads, to me anyway, it seems you had been in personal contact with BV reps. When you say "specs have come in", it sounds like you were personally contacted.
I hope you get a confirmation soon, and would you please stop by and let us know what the scoop is.
Thanks.
:)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Simple math.
OAR = Sale
P&S = No Sale
I would really like this masterpiece, and it makes no sense to make it P&S. It's a filmlovers film, and we skew towards OAR. I expect we are getting bum gouge, and this film will be OAR. I'd love a SE in the future. I am assuming the PJ stamp carries some weight financially in Hollywood now. Let's hope so :)
Keep the complaints until the truth is knonw. By the by, the Mouse's Customer Service line is EXCELLENT...the people are friendly, polite, honest, and helpful - the last time I called was for the Muppets. I might call and ASK on this, and thank them if I hear OAR!
Sincerely,
Chuck
DavidB...thanks for keeping the contact info close at hand. No one can claim you aren't fighting the good fight!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks